Travel to DC - questions

This is a discussion on Travel to DC - questions within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by mcp1810 Last time I was at the Smithsonian we had to go through metal detectors. Pretty much any place you are going ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Travel to DC - questions

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Last time I was at the Smithsonian we had to go through metal detectors. Pretty much any place you are going to go in doors in D.C. is going to have some kind of security.
    The museum also searches all bags before entry.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    There is usually a heavy police presence at all the places you listed, and as DaveJay said, you won't be able to carry any thing that might be viewed as a weapon in most of these places.
    Bolded can be key... Heavy duty lanyards with all of your keys and any other sharp/shiny metal objects on them can be your friend... It's not much, but better than nothing.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I checked the DC code on knives. Maximum length 3 inches and NO spring or button operated knives regardless of length

The cane idea is sounding better.

I have no reason to go to DC any more. I feel safer in NYC than Atlanta Ga. I can carry in the latter because I need to do so. My granddaughter will grow up loving Atlanta and NYC cause that is where she lives and will go every Thanksgiving for the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade as my wife and I will celebrate Birthdays there, but no longer at the "Tavern on the Green" where we have done for the last 20 years. We closed the TOG at the last "Curtain Call" in December 2009. What a grand place to celebrate anything. Until the politicians change things in DC there is no reason to go there......
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

Quote Originally Posted by Bigkahuna View Post
    Carry a nice stout cane.
    +1
    I will be spending some time in DC soon, and purchased a stout hickory cane for the trip. There are some vids online showing how effective a cane can be for self defense, and there are some self defense disciplines that teach the use of canes or staffs for self defense. Of course, I would rather carry my P45, but sometimes it's just not possible. I am of an age where carrying a cane will not invite questions, but YMMV.
    How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy & productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised and taken care of.
    Suzanna Hupp

VIP Member
    A few years ago, my wife and I spent several days as tourists in DC, we had a great time, never once felt "uneasy". Granted we were essentially disarmed and we weren't accustomed to that, but we went anyway. We go to New Orleans a lot and have had no trouble there, we applied our New Orleans "rules" to our visit in DC.

I think our good fortune (at least so far) has been due to:
    1. Don't stay out too late (about 10 pm is our exit time for getting back)
    2. Don't go in a bad part of town, stay in high tourist areas, walk with crowds.
    3. Don't get drunk. Look sharp/stay sharp.
    4. Enjoy yourself but don't let up on your SA whatsoever.
    5. Use valet parking, or taxi when possible.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar

I lived in NoVA as a child, and D.C. has been one of my favorite places to visit ever since. Certain areas, even along the Mall, can get a little dicey at night, such as the area near Constitution Gardens, it's less heavily traveled. Overall though, in that disarmed situation, I feel OK trusting to good SA and a brisk pace. Next time I go I will take my Olight though.
    "Terrorists don't seem to be too afraid of stern language. But I do notice, that while the fear of death does not seem to deter these people, the fact of BEING dead does significantly decrease their operational effectiveness. "
    - Bill Whittle

VIP Member
    What bums me out is not only having to be disarmed in DC, but being disarmed for the entire drive there and back. I'm going soon as well, as much as I don't want to - my boy has never been there. Life is a compromise.

Quick note:

OC spray illegal unless registered with MPD
    blades over 3 inches OK only if you do not have criminal intent (thats the statute)

I would not carry a blade over 3 inches just to be safe.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links