Travel to DC - questions

Travel to DC - questions

This is a discussion on Travel to DC - questions within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm going to be going with my daughter's class at school on a field trip to Washington DC in a few weeks, and knowing it's ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travel to DC - questions

Travel to DC - questions

I'm going to be going with my daughter's class at school on a field trip to Washington DC in a few weeks, and knowing it's not the safest city in the world (by a long shot), have been thinking about self protection. We're going to be doing all the usual "touristy" stuff like visiting Arlington, the Capital building, the usual landmarks around the Washington mall, and the Pentagon, I think. Obviously, I won't be able to conceal carry in any of these places, but what about the folding knife I ALWAYS carry? Does anybody know if any or all of these places use metal detector screens? If I can't even carry a pocket knife, is OC spray an option? Other ideas? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by DrJ View Post
    I'm going to be going with my daughter's class at school on a field trip to Washington DC in a few weeks, and knowing it's not the safest city in the world (by a long shot), have been thinking about self protection. We're going to be doing all the usual "touristy" stuff like visiting Arlington, the Capital building, the usual landmarks around the Washington mall, and the Pentagon, I think. Obviously, I won't be able to conceal carry in any of these places, but what about the folding knife I ALWAYS carry? Does anybody know if any or all of these places use metal detector screens? If I can't even carry a pocket knife, is OC spray an option? Other ideas? Thanks!
    In DC and at the Pentagon, I would not carry anything...

DC laws are so screwy and you will go through a metal detector at the Pentagon...

Not what you want to hear...but welcome to my world...

Virginia has outstanding CC laws, and I don't worry about much...but when I go to DC, or to work (I work on a federal facility and go to the Pentagon often) I leave everything at home...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Last time I was at the Smithsonian we had to go through metal detectors. Pretty much any place you are going to go in doors in D.C. is going to have some kind of security.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    no weapons of any kind, my boots set off every metal detector everywhere we went
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

There is usually a heavy police presence at all the places you listed, and as DaveJay said, you won't be able to carry any thing that might be viewed as a weapon in most of these places.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    I would not worry too much about DC, especially if you are staying in Arlington. Just be out of DC before the sun sets.

Metro trains during school getting out hours can sometimes be dicey.

OC spray is illegal unless registered with MPD.

You are effectively disarmed while in the capital of the US. Sad to go read the Bill of Rights at the Archives and reading the actual 2A while disarmed. Our country has really been messed up by 80 years of progressive thinking. Hopefully the tide is turning.

DC law:

More Details on Washington D.C. Pepper Spray Laws
    Residents and visitors to DC may want to ensure their own safety by carrying a non lethal self defense device such as pepper spray or a MACE brand chemical spray. These personal security items may be purchased in the state, but before a citizen may legally possess any type of safety spray they must first register the weapon at a local police station. This allows law enforcement officers to know exactly who is carrying any type of defense spray and to help make sure they are used in a lawful manner. Only people who are 18 years or older may purchase and register a canister of spray on their own, but anyone 14 or older may do so as long as they have the permission of a parent or legal guardian.
    Defense sprays are registered to discourage any illegal use of these powerful weapons. It is only lawful to use them if you are threatened with bodily harm. Just one blast of pepper spray is enough to completely incapacitate any aggressor, so it is an ideal form of self protection in Washington D.C., or anywhere you may go.
    Individuals who are wondering where to buy a defense spray in Washington will find them at any retail location where self defense products are sold. They are also available to be ordered online. DC does not have any restrictions regarding the shipping of pepper spray in or out of the state, but all items received through the mail must be registered as soon as they are received.
    Last edited by Paco; March 5th, 2011 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Language workaround

Pocket knives in DC cannot have blades over 3 inches if I remember correctly. All of the buildings have security and a lot have metal dectors. Purchase a good stout pen and carry it.
    Use your head and stay alert. You should not have any problems. Forget OC. It will get you in trouble in DC. Have fun.
    Semper Fi

What about a surefire E2D

I carry an E2D into DC frequently. No issues

Carry a nice stout cane.

No knives > 2 inches allowed at the Pentagon....I was just TDY there this last week....as a visitor (in uniform), everyone goes through the metal detector and bags/jackets go through the x-ray. My recommendation--leave the knives at home (same for OC/Pepper spray)....same goes for D.C.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    No knives > 2 inches allowed at the Pentagon....I was just TDY there this last week....as a visitor (in uniform), everyone goes through the metal detector and bags/jackets go through the x-ray. My recommendation--leave the knives at home (same for OC/Pepper spray)....same goes for D.C.
    If you ever come again (to the five-sided puzzle palace) PM me and I will buy drinks after duty...I work in Crystal City (just outside the Pentagon for those who don't know)...

I do carry a Hellfighter X-12 without issue into the Pentagon and anywhere else I go in DC...apparently they are not considered dangerous...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by DaveJay View Post
    If you ever come again (to the five-sided puzzle palace) PM me and I will buy drinks after duty...I work in Crystal City (just outside the Pentagon for those who don't know)...

I do carry a Hellfighter X-12 without issue into the Pentagon and anywhere else I go in DC...apparently they are not considered dangerous...
    Will do....I was there all of last week and just got back to Germany this morning....

I was attending a HAF-level conference on lessons learned for advising foreign forces...so it was like a huge reunion of folks I haven't seen in over a year. When I get more notice, I will drop you a line.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by Bigkahuna View Post
    Carry a nice stout cane.
    Good idea just remember to know how to use it for personal defense. The DVD "Martial Cane Concepts" by Michael Janich is quick and easy to learn some basics. I like Cane Master canes.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links