AT&T almost losses an employee, and probably my future business!

This is a discussion on AT&T almost losses an employee, and probably my future business! within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; After Church yesterday the family and I are sitting at the kitchen table eating lunch. The doorbell rang, and at first I thought it was ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: AT&T almost losses an employee, and probably my future business!

AT&T almost losses an employee, and probably my future business!

After Church yesterday the family and I are sitting at the kitchen table eating lunch. The doorbell rang, and at first I thought it was my four year old. She has taken a liking to ringing the front doorbell and the running back through the garage door, into the kitchen, and then watching daddy open the door to thin air. This is evidently hilarious. However, the hell-yun was sitting at the table. This put me at alert a little.

You see, as in the El Pasoan tradition, my small front yard is enclosed by a wrought iron fence and gate. There are decorative bars on the windows and gates on the doors. The front door has a small area between the door and gate. Usually we leave the front door open and lock the front gate. We always close, but not lock the driveway gate.

I was wondering who could have rang the bell, as they would have had to open the driveway gate and come up to the front door. Anyone we knew would have just called out at the front gate. I was wearing jeans and my Sig in a Crossbreed holster, and that is how I answered the door. It was a lady from AT&T. Come to find out I had forgotten to lock the front door gate, but it had been shut. This lady had opened that gate too. She started to say something about the lines in the neighborhood have been upgraded. I interjected, and politely told her we did not have a home phone. This seemed to upset her and she asked in a less than polite tone, "what about internet and cable." I told her we don't have cable or internet (I use a mobile hot spot). So, she stomped off.

I couldn't help but think, who would open two gates to go onto private property? I guess some people don't really think about what they are doing. Now of course, she was never in danger of me shooting at her, but someone else (like a few of you crazies, ha) might have handled her more roughly. I am moving, not that I would have told her that, and have no need to change anything at this house. However, at the next post, if we live off-post again, maybe a tasteful "No Soliciting" sign might be in order. Would any of you consider opening a closed gate trespassing? Would that gate need to be posted with a "No Trespass" sign?
    "When war does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the
    scabbard." -General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by TangoMonkey View Post
    Would any of you consider opening a closed gate trespassing? Would that gate need to be posted with a "No Trespass" sign?
    Nope, and people like that conveniently ignore signs because they don't have respect for property rights. If they did, your gate wouldn't have been transgressed in the first place.

Some people's kids, I tell ya.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Would any of you consider opening a closed gate trespassing? Would that gate need to be posted with a "No Trespass" sign?[/QUOTE]

In the scenario you describe, the woman's action indeed constitute trespassing.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TangoMonkey View Post
    Would any of you consider opening a closed gate trespassing?
    No, I would not.

It is perfectly normal to open a gate to get to a door to knock, ring doorbell, etc. I would not consider it trespassing to open a gate merely to do so.

If the gate were locked, that would be another story. If a person refuses to leave when asked, etc.

People are way too over-sensitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    No, I would not.

It is perfectly normal to open a gate to get to a door to knock, ring doorbell, etc. I would not consider it trespassing to open a gate merely to do so.

If the gate were locked, that would be another story. If a person refuses to leave when asked, etc.

+1.

Buy a big dog and post Beware of Dog and No Trespassing signs on the gates of your next abode. One of two things will happen, A. They heed the signs or B. They ignore them and have a bad day. They can't say you didn't warn them.
    oneshot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    No, I would not.

+ 2

I honestly don't see the big deal here. In many rural areas in my neck of the woods, one must pass thru a gate to access property, and then another to access the house. Now, if the gate is locked, that's different. But they were unlocked, no signs to the contrary, and she used them to get to the door, which is commonly respected and acknowledged as the "knock before entering" barrier. Seems normal to me.

My 1st house had a gated front yard. I would leave my dog (a hybrid malamute/timber wolf) there to greet solicitors. He wouldn't bark he would just sit in the walkway and snarl as to say:
    "Come in...make my day!"

In your opening post, you stated she was never in any danger of you shooting her, yet the thread title states AT&T almost lost an employee. Which is it? I agree with Zader, people sometimes seem to be looking for drama.

VIP Member
    If I had been her, I wouldn't have entered your yard, and especially wouldn't have done it thinking about the possibility of waking up a protective dog. She's gonna get bit one day !
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I would think that if everyone has a fence around their property as you said, then it would be pretty common to open the gate and go in, closing the gate behind you, so that you can knock at a door. It's done in rural communities all the time with livestock gates across the driveway. Now, if there was a no tresspass or similar sign up, no way would I go in, however... as noted... some people don't bother with signs. I have a simple gate across my driveway with a sign right next to it saying when my business is open or closed and every once in a while I'll get someone leave their car, walk around my gate and knock on my house door when I am clearly closed. Ticks me off to no end, but what can you do, lol. In your case you can at least lock your gate, but of course that's inconvenient. I would say a sign might stop 90% of the people you don't want to see based on my observations.

A stranger to a property should respect a closed gate just as they would a closed residential door. Announce your presence and wait for some one to respond or leave. Obviously that doesn't apply if the visitor is on official business, a family member, or an acquaintance, but that's just me.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

VIP Member
    After the last visit by Jehovah's Witnesses (not picking on their religion, it was just who it was...)....I added the red & white part:
    Attached Images
    merlin82plus likes this.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Barbary View Post
    Buy a big dog and post Beware of Dog and No Trespassing signs on the gates of your next abode. One of two things will happen, A. They heed the signs or B. They ignore them and have a bad day. They can't say you didn't warn them.
    I have a Great Dane, but his lazy butt laid on his bed and let me handle it.

As far as looking for drama, I am not. I was more aggravated by her rude attitude. She came to my house and then became rude to me when I did not want what she was selling. I am just curious as to when a closed gate itself can reasonably be considered a " do not enter" sign. I also understand the rural area thing, I grew up on a farm. We would keep our gate closed with a "No Trespassing" sign posted. Very seldom did a stranger open the gate a enter. They were firmly asked to leave.
    "When war does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the
    scabbard." -General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links