Raped after assisting “stranded” motorist.

This is a discussion on Raped after assisting “stranded” motorist. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Goldsboro, N.C. — Wayne County investigators say that a woman was kidnapped and raped by a stranded motorist she stopped to help early Monday. Sgt. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Raped after assisting “stranded” motorist.

VIP Member

Goldsboro, N.C. — Wayne County investigators say that a woman was kidnapped and raped by a stranded motorist she stopped to help early Monday.

Sgt. Keith Hartzog said the 29-year-old woman was driving home from work around 2:30 a.m. when she came upon a car with its flashers on in the middle of the road near U.S. Highway 111 South and Bill Lane Boulevard in Elroy.

Concerned that someone was stranded, she stopped, helped the driver move the vehicle to the shoulder of the road and offered him a ride.

Hertzog said that once in her car, the man – identified as Bobby Ray Grady, 36 – pulled out a knife, placed it against the woman's neck and ordered her to stop along another rural road. He raped her there and threatened her if she reported it to law enforcement, authorities said.
    Investigators: Woman kidnapped, raped along Wayne County road :: WRAL.com

Granted she should never have allowed him into her vehicle but had she been armed with at least pepper spray the outcome may have been different. And with his history he should not have been released from prison to prey on the public.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    And with his history he should not have been released from prison to prey on the public.
    This is always the case these days.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Most vehicles when they break down have enough inertia to get to the shoulder of the road, not stop in the middle of it. Stops and gets out of her vehicle to help him push his vehicle out of the road and offered him a ride. What she should have done was stop with her doors locked, engine in gear, window down about an inch and asked what the problem was. Then advise that she could notify 911 to assist him. Any funny business, she just drives away!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Anytime I feel guilty for not stopping and helping someone out, I think of these types of incidents. Its hazardous to your health to be a good samaritan
    Chevyguy85 likes this.
    Please take my posts with a grain of salt. I am frequently sleep deprived and always just on this side of "Krazy".

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle. Edmund Burke

The ol' good samaritan penalty.

She should have been armed with something.
    She should not have gotten out of her locked vehicle on a highway at 2:30 am, nor anytime of day among an unknown person.
    She should have called the highway patrol for a motorist assist and then wait for the trooper to arrive before exiting her car.
    She definately should not have offered a ride. Offer to call someone or a taxi, if you're really feeling generous give money for taxi.

I'm not bashing the lady as much as I'm bashing these wothless bags of feces that use set-ups like this to prey upon good people who are just doing the right thing. She will likely never help anyone again assuming she can get past what happened to her.

This is a big warning to good samaritans everywhere: Things are not always what they seem. Some of these people are in need of help and might even be appreciative of the help you offer, some are looking to get a lot more than your help. I hate to discourage people from helping their fellow man but we've got to be more careful. Call the police or someone to be there while you help, be extra aware of your surroundings, keep your distance, never give someone a ride, offer whatever money you are willing to part with if that is what can help.

A co-worker of my FIL recently stopped by a local truck stop after work and came upon a pregnant lady and her male companion. I'm not sure what the story was but they needed to get to somewhere in OK, closeby where I'm at. They got about 60 miles down the road before they hit her over the head, left her on the side of the road, took the $700.00 cash that she had, took her car. They found the car a short distance down the road with gas siphoned out and later found the couple. It doesn't pay to help people these days, and if you do you have to do it indirectly.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Generally speaking, take the action that provides the greatest positive effect, with the least personal intervention.
    joker1, Old School and Xader like this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Generally speaking, take the action that provides the greatest positive effect, with the least personal intervention.
    Well said !
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Most vehicles when they break down have enough inertia to get to the shoulder of the road, not stop in the middle of it. Stops and gets out of her vehicle to help him push his vehicle out of the road and offered him a ride. What she should have done was stop with her doors locked, engine in gear, window down about an inch and asked what the problem was. Then advise that she could notify 911 to assist him. Any funny business, she just drives away!
    +1...Kinda sums up my thoughts as well...I think someone needs to partake in a big glass of "common sense"...sheez
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    +1...Kinda sums up my thoughts as well...I think someone needs to partake in a big glass of "common sense"...sheez
    There is a certain class of person - good people generally - that like to help others. The day when that was generally (it has never been always) safe to do are, sadly, in our rear view mirror. I did print out the article for my daughter who is one of those that goes out of her way to help others - sometimes without thinking of the consequences.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    Of course it works both ways. If you are the one broken down on the side of the road, you never know the intent of the person who is coming to help.

1) Keep Highway Patrol non-emergency number handy for roadside assistance if your state has such a number.
    2) Join triple A if you can afford it and keep the card and emergency number with you.
    3) Keep a cell phone on hand.
    4) Going places where cell is spotty, maybe keep a hand held CB radio handy.
    5) No matter what is wrong, grab the tire iron. Better to sound like a fool who thought he needed the tire iron for a leaking radiator then to have nothing in hand or at hand.
    6) Stay armed with spray, knife, and with handgun.

IF you stop to help someone, call the Highway Patrol roadside assistance number before getting out of your car. Let them know you have stopped to help a stranded motorist and that if they don't here from you again really soon, they need to check the situation.

TEXAS SPECIFIC--
    The number, 1-800-525-5555, is printed on the back of virtually all Texas driver licenses and identification cards. Wireles can dial *DPS (*377) free of airtime charges anywhere in Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    AMEN!!!
    Glock 22 Gen 4 w/CBST
    Kimber Compact CDP II w/Silent Thunder
    A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    One thing that I have done in a case like this is slow down; but drive by while looking things over. If I think it's legit, I'll go down the road and turn around; still watching things closely.

Once I'm fairly satisfied there are no BGs hiding i wait AND it's most likely a legit problem, I'll pull up facing the opposite direction after looking things over thoroughly; keep my doors locked, car running and in gear (with room to make a quick exit); then I roll my window down (a little) and ask if they want me to call 911 or HP. That's about all I will do now; especially if I'm alone.

If it's a problem on the interstate, I usually pull well ahead of the stopped vehicle; (usually 50yds+). I figure if a person wants help, they will not mind walking a liitle ways while I look things over.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bkrazy View Post
    Anytime I feel guilty for not stopping and helping someone out, I think of these types of incidents. Its hazardous to your health to be a good samaritan
    A woman should never stop. And never feel guilty.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    A woman should never stop. And never feel guilty.
    I agree!

These things should be played by ear. Make the call on the spot, based on all the factors involved. It's dispiriting to read remarks along the lines of "never help anybody."
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links