door burglar alarms ?

door burglar alarms ?

This is a discussion on door burglar alarms ? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Has anyone ever used one?you know,the kind you just hang on a door like in a motel room ? What brand do you think is ...

Thread: door burglar alarms ?

door burglar alarms ?

Has anyone ever used one?you know,the kind you just hang on a door like in a motel room ? What brand do you think is best ? thanks. sj

Administrator
    There is one alarm that also acts as a wedge to physically prevent the door from opening.
    Somebody here will know what it's called.

Just google "door stop alarm" or look on Amazon, ect. I would definitely recommend one of these.

I have one that actually blocks the door,also has an alarm or dog barking,your choice.It works,just looking for something smaller. sj

We have a couple that use the normal magnet on the door jam. You can get them from Walgreens for about $10 bucks. Cheap, but effective. Like the previous posters, I think I'd prefer the wedge type better. At least it'd give you some leeway on time, before the door gets kicked in.

Ex Member
    Ace Hardware sells, for like $20, a bar that braces from to the floor to the handle. Takes 3 seconds to put in place and will prevent ANYTHING from coming through the door. I have bought 3 for female friends who don't have dogs. There is NO installation, it just snugs up in place.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    Ace Hardware sells, for like $20, a bar that braces from to the floor to the handle. Takes 3 seconds to put in place and will prevent ANYTHING from coming through the door. I have bought 3 for female friends who don't have dogs. There is NO installation, it just snugs up in place.
    Door Devil is the brand I'm familiar with, recommended by our neighborhood police officer.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    Is this the one?

Masterlock Security Bar (265DCCSEN) - Specialty Safety & Security Items - Ace Hardware
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member

I have a couple of these for when I travel and stay in motels and hotels. They are cheap and can be found for as little as $8 - $10 and have the added feature of also acting as a door stop to prevent anyone with a pass key from entering your room without the door wedging against it. They are loud little critters at 120 dB.

I like these over the ones you hang on the door knob because of they keep the door from being pushed open affording you a few more seconds to gather your wits and arm yourself. I bring two along in case I get a room which has an adjoining suite and a common door between two rooms.

They may not appear to be real solidly built, but I've tried them out and they work as intended. I'm sure if someone tries, they could force their way past it if they put their shoulder in it and keep trying... However, I would think once someone triggers a 120 dB alarm in the hallway of a hotel or motel, I imagine the person is going to immediately flee, rather than continue their forced entry and risk being seen and identified as other occupants start to flee their rooms to what essentially sounds like a fire alarm going off. Again, it will buy you enough time to gather your wits and arm yourself should they continue to try and kick the door in.

You can find them at a lot of places on line. click here.

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Cheap aluminum pot with a wire hook on the handle. Hang it on the top edge of the door; it wall fall off if jarred. You'll hear it hit the floor.

P.S. The batteries never go dead.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Cheap aluminum pot with a wire hook on the handle. Hang it on the top edge of the door; it wall fall off if jarred. You'll hear it hit the floor.

P.S. The batteries never go dead.
    Neighbors and hotel staff don't hear a thing.

Links