Knives in Virginia EDC, CC, and at home

This is a discussion on Knives in Virginia EDC, CC, and at home within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I looking into a Leatherman or SOG multitool. As a child a babysitter gave me a leatherman and it has served me very well in ...

Thread: Knives in Virginia EDC, CC, and at home

Knives in Virginia EDC, CC, and at home

I looking into a Leatherman or SOG multitool. As a child a babysitter gave me a leatherman and it has served me very well in the wilderness (Alaska) and in a suburban setting (Virginia). However I am looking to upgrade it for a good edc multitool for chores/work and also self defense.
    I am rather young and a new resident of Virginia. I am confused to the cc laws are. If I were to defend myself with a SOG power assist would it be considered as a like weapon and unlawful?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    The lawyer that spoke at my CC class made me not want to carry a knife in VA. that has a locking blade or assist opening. A multitool should be ok , but I wouldn't count on it to save my life.

You are young, don't let a knife get you in trouble. Wait until you are old enough to get a CC permit for a handgun and get good training on how to use it and the laws.

VA Weapons Laws

The VA State Police have a very good summary of the VA weapons laws.
    Virginia State Police - Firearms/Concealed Weapons

Carrying a concealed knife, other than a small pocket knife is not legal. We have a Concealed Handgun Permit, not a concealed weapons permit. That was one of the things than the VCDL tried to get changed during this year's general assembly, but the bill was killed by Senator Marsh's death star committee. Hopefully after the next elections we can get some state senators who won't violate their own rules.

Quote Originally Posted by celticredneck View Post
    Carrying a concealed knife, other than a small pocket knife is not legal. We have a Concealed Handgun Permit, not a concealed weapons permit. That was one of the things than the VCDL tried to get changed during this year's general assembly, but the bill was killed by Senator Marsh's death star committee. Hopefully after the next elections we can get some state senators who won't violate their own rules.
    Small pocket knife such as a leatherman juice? Because I was planning on a Leatherman skeletool or Charge. Both are manual but locking.

Also thank you for the replies. My main concern is safety and if anything the defensive qualities of a knife are secondary to their actual use as a tool for me.

Quote Originally Posted by celticredneck View Post
    Carrying a concealed knife, other than a small pocket knife is not legal.
    Can you provide a citation, because that's not my understanding.

prev | next

18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry.

A. If any person carries about his person, hidden from common observation, (i) any pistol, revolver, or other weapon designed or intended to propel a missile of any kind by action of an explosion of any combustible material; (ii) any dirk, bowie knife, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, machete, razor, slingshot, spring stick, metal knucks, or blackjack; (iii) any flailing instrument consisting of two or more rigid parts connected in such a manner as to allow them to swing freely, which may be known as a nun chahka, nun chuck, nunchaku, shuriken, or fighting chain; (iv) any disc, of whatever configuration, having at least two points or pointed blades which is designed to be thrown or propelled and which may be known as a throwing star or oriental dart; or (v) any weapon of like kind as those enumerated in this subsection, he shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. A second violation of this section or a conviction under this section subsequent to any conviction under any substantially similar ordinance of any county, city, or town shall be punishable as a Class 6 felony, and a third or subsequent such violation shall be punishable as a Class 5 felony. For the purpose of this section, a weapon shall be deemed to be hidden from common observation when it is observable but is of such deceptive appearance as to disguise the weapon's true nature

Mite be what he's talking about

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by redrick View Post
    The lawyer that spoke at my CC class made me not want to carry a knife in VA. that has a locking blade or assist opening. A multitool should be ok , but I wouldn't count on it to save my life.

You are young, don't let a knife get you in trouble. Wait until you are old enough to get a CC permit for a handgun and get good training on how to use it and the laws.
    I carry a locking blade knife every day in Va. I am unaware of any prohibition against such.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave James View Post
    18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry.

Mite be what he's talking about
    All of the knives enumerated have specific definitions. A standard folding blade, including locking and assisted opening is not prohibited. Nor is there a stated size limitation.

I wouldn't carry one into D.C. though.

Links