"Quiet" Neighborhoods

"Quiet" Neighborhoods

This is a discussion on "Quiet" Neighborhoods within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've read in so many forums where the BGs show up out of nowhere and BOOM! you are a victim. The constant statements afterwards is...this ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: "Quiet" Neighborhoods

"Quiet" Neighborhoods

I've read in so many forums where the BGs show up out of nowhere and BOOM! you are a victim. The constant statements afterwards is...this has always been a quiet neghborhood, or the LEO's don't often have to patrol our area because it's so peaceful. And, my favorite, we never lock our doors. Guess what? The times they are a changin'.

I live 20 minutes south of St. Louis, a leading murder capitol of the U.S. Recently, our local government decided it would be an excellent idea to broker a deal with Metro Bus to haul commuters north to their jobs. What our myopic leaders failed to realize is the other side of that coin. Guess what rides back on those buses to a new ripened field for easy pickings? Almost instantly, we saw a rise in car thefts. That's right, the hoods grab a bus down here, steal a car and take it back home with them. To further this nonsense, the local LEO's have to suspend pursuit when speeds reach the andrenelin factor. So, they get away.

Late last year, a group of thieves took it to another level. They stole a car assaulted several people in muggings, stole another car after ditching the 1st, performed an armed invasion on a couple of homes, shot a guy walking his dog and were finally thwarted by a prepared citizen who called 911 with their description after he drew down on them in his home. This all took place in several very quiet subdivisions.

I work in the city at various locations and take the time to talk with the local natives about crime. Nearly all of them recount stories about family members who are involved with crime. Time and again they convey the idea that the preferred targets are quiet neighborhoods. You know, the manicured lawns with 2-car garages and the lights are out by 10 pm. The premise here is retired elderly with a fat wad stuffed in the mattress.

A few years earlier, I was content to carry legally in my vehicle under the provisions our Castle Doctrine until I was jumped one evening in my truck by a couple of punks. I put down that attempt and it changed my whole take on personal security. I filed for my CCW, armed my home, trained my wife to shoot and created and practice a defense plan at home and when abroad. I now take nothing for granted or face value, trust nobody and my SA is very keen. To those of you whom are on here I realize I'm preaching to the choir and I'm sorry for the wordy post. But I had to vent and hope that anyone who reads this and hasn't taken similar precautions can be warned.

db
    Kimber PCII .45
    Springfield XD9mm SC
    Kel-Tech P-11 9mm
    AR-15

This is happening all over. as gas prices rise and local governments make deals with larger cities to have buses and other forms of mass transit extend to their suburbs, the crime goes up just as you have described. I'm not sure what the solution is other than doing what needs to be done to get gas prices under control and convincing every single person who can legally carry to do so. Only then will the thugs learn that it does not pay to rob and steal from people.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I recently had a conversation with a coworker over dinner. I mentioned that last year there had been several strong-arm robberies in Albuquerque where the perps were kicking down doors in nice neighborhoods, without regards to whether people were at home or not, in contrast to the usual modus of trying to find an unoccupied home. My coworker insisted that "that didn't happen here, it happened in Isleta" (ten miles south). It actually happened in the next neighborhood over.

It is in fact the herd mentality. Ignore those poor, unfortunate unlucky ones who get picked off the edge of the herd, and keep eating grass, knowing we are safe here in the middle of our nice quiet neighborhood, where the bad guys will never come.
    rammerjammer likes this.
    Anybody can get scared, but you must absolutely not let that affect your behavior. Cowardice kills. -Jeff Cooper

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    db4usa, no need to apologize. As you say "times are changing". I was not aware that bad guys were actually coming out of their home neighborhoods enough to notice.

No matter whether it is a quite neighborhood or not, if there is something there to steal your a possible target. If you live someplace where it is common for all the residents to be gone during the day, ie suburbs where there are two income households, or all the occupants of the homes are otherwise gone during the day, then you could be more vulnerable to daytime thefts.

Does the mass transit make it easier for them, I don't know. If they are looking to steal cars possibly, if they are after simple property, probably not. Buses aren't prefered get away vehicles I wouldn't think.

Work with your neighbors, set up a Neighborhood watch, work with the local police so that you are well informed about what is taking place and listen to suggestions they might have to make your area a less attractive area for criminals.

Good luck.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

And isn't a bus one of the few places in MO that
    you really can't carry? Maybe the crooks will start hitting those next.

It's happening in FL, too. Daytime robberies and car thefts are a growing business.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    When the economy went south and local crime shot skyward, a police dept. official stated (on the evening news) that people were just getting desparate.

Well, here's news for him: They're not desparate; they're criminals!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

People do desperate things when they are desperate for drugs, alcohol or just are not willing to find any job be it flipping burgers or some other menial one. They think we and our country owe them something and they are willing to just take it no matter where that place may be.

They look for opportunity wherever and whenever it may arise, that is why so many times it is mentioned here to be aware of our surroundings and situation. Crime knows absolutely no boundaries and just because it seems like a "nice quiet" neighborhood doesn't mean it cannot go South in a heartbeat.

My "hood" seems that way but we have had a few garage break-ins. Then, there was the the "Drug Central Wharehouse" just across our alley in the garage appartment that Police drive-bys finally convinced the proprietors to evacuate for safer ground. It can and does happen anywhere at anytime.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Administrator
    The famous Willie Sutton "quote" applies here too. Robbers, thieves and other miscreants go where the money is.
    mr.stuart and Xader like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    It is also the result of deliberate government policies. Crime went up in my area, a nice "quiet area" when the apartments a few miles away opened up to Section 8 housing. I am not saying that just because you are on some sort of assistance you are a criminal so do not go getting your undies in a bunch, but admittedly crime flows from lower socio-economic areas.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

I just moved to a nice quiet subdivision away from all the druggies. That doesn't mean I've eased up on any security measures. In fact, I have hardened my new house with new deadbolts, door jamb reinforcements and augmented the already existing security lighting. I'm not nearly finished with my security upgrades either, but I have wasted no time performing the aforementioned updates after moving in.

The wife and I both CCW 100% of the time, even at home.

Yes, we have moved to a much quieter neighborhood, with less crime and the entire neighborhood seems to watch everyone like a hawk, but in no way has that had any effect on our being security conscious.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

It's kind of like after a school shooting. You always hear, "we never thought it could happen here." Or, "our community just isn't like that." Well, bad things happen anywhere at any time.

I live in an upscale section of town of older homes built between 1900 to the 1930s. But, our neighborhood is bordered by less affluent neighborhoods and guess what, criminals from those areas come into our neighborhood for good pickings.

Someone posted above about crime goes where the money is. In Omaha, since the 60s and 70s we have had a lot of white flight to the suburbs. And guess what, crime has followed those residents out there too.

Heh...yeah we see it all. Northern VA is about to see that same mess here real soon. The dingbats decided it was a great idea to run the metro train lines out to the VA Suburbs from the District of Crime... Can we say ripe for the pickings?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    And isn't a bus one of the few places in MO that
    you really can't carry? Maybe the crooks will start hitting those next.

It's happening in FL, too. Daytime robberies and car thefts are a growing business.
    You're right Super, it is. Oddly enough the local news ran a story about a Metro guard who checked a dude for a ticket and he dropped a revolver with 2 spent rnds out of his jacket. He was arrested for no CCW license, failure to have a ticket and possesion of a firearm by a convicted felon. To top it off, the BG was from Illinois where there is no CCW at all. Living proof the gun laws are ignored by the BG's. Side note...Gotta wonder where those 2 shots were fired at from the revolver?

db
    Kimber PCII .45
    Springfield XD9mm SC
    Kel-Tech P-11 9mm
    AR-15

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    db4usa-Do you have a link from that story? I'd love one if you do. Thanks.

Back on topic: "Criminals are capable of driving cars, riding the bus or leaving bad areas and going to the nice ones." -I've had to tell that to so many family, and friends this all the time. Why is that such a hard concept to understand? I can't tell you how many people I know that leave their cars, and houses unlocked. "Its a nice area".Be prepared! I always keep my stuff locked up, and try to stay prepared. Crime can happen anywhere, anytime.

Also: They are criminals, because they break laws.. Murder is punishable by up to the death penalty, or life without parole. If someone is willing to do a crime with those potential punishments, do you really think weather the gun/weapon they used was "illegal" or not is going to stop them? How can you tack on more punishment then the death penalty or life without parole?

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links