The Police never showed......

This is a discussion on The Police never showed...... within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; First we do live in a very secluded far off area not really close to any town or city, the closest one is about 16 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: The Police never showed......

The Police never showed......

First we do live in a very secluded far off area not really close to any town or city, the closest one is about 16 miles that has a police force.

We have an alarm system with a glass break at the back of the house since we have large windows, and that would be where I would break in if i was going to being in the back and easiest acces.

That being said the alarm was set off the other day and ADT called and said it was the glass break sensor they asked if i wanted the police to be notified, of course i said yes being 42 miles from home.

My wifes uncle is an armed guard at a hospital and he happened to be off that day. So he went to see if he could see anything broken etc. There was nothing he waited for the police for an hour till we got home and the police never showed.

Im not sure if this was a miscom between them and adt or what but it made me very very angry that they never even drove by.

Does anyone else have more expirience with living that far out and police response?
    IGNORANT=NEEDS EDUCATION

STUPID=WELL YOU CANT FIX THEM ALL

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    If the closest town is 16 miles away with police, do they cover your area? Is your area even covered by police at all? A lot of areas will not respond to alarms at all, due to the abuse and misuse by customers and alarm services.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Yes the responding department is county sheriff but its a huge county and you rarely ever see one of there cars out there. In fact i was on the way home one night after work and got passed by a car like i wasnt moving speed limit is 60 they were laying down at least 90, a county guy was coming opposite way and didnt even blink his lights its almost like they dnt care what goes on out here.
    IGNORANT=NEEDS EDUCATION

Administrator
    Well, when you have a couple of guys working a large area, chances are they don't have time to sweat the small stuff. It seems like every time I'm on my way to a call somewhere, (like an erroneous alarm drop) is when I see the worst traffic violations. I almost always have to let it go because of priority.
    oneshot likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

ADT says they called the police, but did they call the right police? As Sixto was pointing out, proximity to a town means nothing. If their jurisdiction ends at the corporate limits you could be across the street and they still would not come. I know in some parts of Pennsylvania if you are outside a township your calls are sent to the state police. And in some areas they only have one or two troopers working. If they are tied up on an accident or processing a drunk or something it might be couple of hours before anyone shows up for a low priority call. My old department had a priority scale of 0-9 for calls. 0 was a priority response 9 were handled over the phone. A residential alarm like you described was a priority 5 same as a property damage only collision.

Also, in some jurisdictions alarm systems must be registered with the responding agency. If the alarm is not registered there will be no response unless the resident is at home and indicates there is something other than the alarm itself to indicate there is a problem. I would call the non emergency number for your local state police barracks and ask if they can tell you who it is that is supposed to respond for alarm calls at your address. Then I would call their non emergency number and see if they have any record of a call being received for your address at that date and time. If they do and they failed to respond, file a complaint. If they have no record, or if they received the call but ADT failed to provide them with a permit number or something needed for dispatch, contact ADT and find out why they failed to provide the required information.
    oneshot likes this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Since no one was home and they had cleaned us out i guess thats why i pay insurance and added on plenty extra for my firearms. I do hope my dogs at least get a good solid hunk out of him in the process though....

Thats why when i or my wife is home i dont rely on county or state police i rely on glock to handle anything like that.

Also in fairness my english mastiff decided she wanted something of the counter and pulled down a GLASS bowl and thats what set it off so it would of been a waste of our LEO's recources and i would have felt bad that they were there instead of possibly something slightly more important.
    IGNORANT=NEEDS EDUCATION

I live in an area that was patroled by the sheriff's dept. up till 1/1/11 due to budget cuts. Now we depend on emergency response from MSP and the Sheriff. There's been a couple of b/e's in the area, and the home owner has held the suspect(s) at gun point for over an hour until the state finally show'd up. I love paying tax's for nothing. Note: I don't live in THAT rural of an area, I live in the same county as the state capital.

Sometimes living off the beaten path has it's positives and it's negatives,I remember a case where people outside the City limits had to pay extra for Fire protection,one guy hadn't paid and his house caught on fire,fire dept showed up but only to make sure his neighbors who were paid up didn't catch fire
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Also think your state may have a similar law to Florida, meaning it will not respond to "Unverified Alarms". In other words unless you are in the house and someone is breaking in and you call it in cops will not respond.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by wolf88 View Post
    Since no one was home and they had cleaned us out i guess thats why i pay insurance and added on plenty extra for my firearms. I do hope my dogs at least get a good solid hunk out of him in the process though....

Thats why when i or my wife is home i dont rely on county or state police i rely on glock to handle anything like that.

Also in fairness my english mastiff decided she wanted something of the counter and pulled down a GLASS bowl and thats what set it off so it would of been a waste of our LEO's recources and i would have felt bad that they were there instead of possibly something slightly more important.
    I agree hope your dogs would get them.. But then they would prob go to court and you would be in trouble for your dogs. But if the officers would have responded.... yada yada yada. Sorry it set it off but glad it wasn't anything. At least your security is connected with ADT. Some people just rely on the loud siren.
    Last edited by SIXTO; April 19th, 2011 at 12:13 AM.

The lady across the street from us has an alarm service, I don't know which one. Some time back, her alarm company calls my wife in the middle of the day to say that they are receiving an alert and that they think it's a malfunctioning sensor, would she please walk across the street and check?

My wife and I had a very long discussion on why she must NEVER DO THAT AGAIN!

Quote Originally Posted by tbroy View Post
    I live in an area that was patroled by the sheriff's dept. up till 1/1/11 due to budget cuts.
    If budgets are indeed cut, as we hear all the time, why don't my taxes go down?
    I dare say budgets are never cut. Maybe they didn't get the 12% increase they expected (which is a cut in government lingo) or they spent the money on something else. I seem to see more "Mobile Command Centers", a motor home for cops, or armored personnel carriers, in case we are invaded by Sweden. (to be PC)

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    If budgets are indeed cut, as we hear all the time, why don't my taxes go down?
    I dare say budgets are never cut. Maybe they didn't get the 12% increase they expected (which is a cut in government lingo) or they spent the money on something else. I seem to see more "Mobile Command Centers", a motor home for cops, or armored personnel carriers, in case we are invaded by Sweden. (to be PC)
    Those are paid for by grants from DHS, it does not come out of the local budgets.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Those are paid for by grants from DHS, it does not come out of the local budgets.
    That sort of thing has a whole bunch of strings attached. Palin turned down some Federal grants exactly because of those strings, and got in a bunch of trouble because the voters did not know or think of all that extra stuff. Not a value statement, just an example of politicians getting into trouble because of ignorant voters that think there is such a thing as a free lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by wolf88 View Post
    First we do live in a very secluded far off area not really close to any town or city, the closest one is about 16 miles that has a police force.

We have an alarm system with a glass break at the back of the house since we have large windows, and that would be where I would break in if i was going to being in the back and easiest acces.

That being said the alarm was set off the other day and ADT called and said it was the glass break sensor they asked if i wanted the police to be notified, of course i said yes being 42 miles from home.

My wifes uncle is an armed guard at a hospital and he happened to be off that day. So he went to see if he could see anything broken etc. There was nothing he waited for the police for an hour till we got home and the police never showed.

Im not sure if this was a miscom between them and adt or what but it made me very very angry that they never even drove by.

Does anyone else have more expirience with living that far out and police response?
    I grew up in the middle of nowhere and I used to think of myself an a purely country boy but, the older I get, the less comfortable I am with the thought of living in the middle of nowhere. This is one of the concerns and there are others. I also hatte the thought of having to drive long distances for anything from my work site to shopping for food.

I think i would at least call the police or sheriffs department and ask about this and find out why you never saw a police response.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links