I think our new house just got cased....

This is a discussion on I think our new house just got cased.... within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I was at the new house today with my daughter, waiting on and working with a few installers. I'm sitting looking out the front ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: I think our new house just got cased....

I think our new house just got cased....

So I was at the new house today with my daughter, waiting on and working with a few installers. I'm sitting looking out the front window because I'm expecting another installer any minute. And this pickup truck is driving down our street REALLY slow....

Two guys in the cab. They get to my place and stop and are looking for a while. The garage was open, I had an installer putting in openers. Finally one jumps out and walks up....peeking around the side of the house a little...then walks towards the garage. I pull open the interior door just in time to hear the guy say to the installer, "Hey, is the builder here?"

Of course the installers response is "Huh?"

I step out and pull the door shut behind me and say, "I'm the homeowner, what do you want?"

He says, "Oh...I just saw the unfinished drywall....I'm a painter....I was just wondering if the builder needed a painter."

My alarm bells were going off before the truck stopped and they are SCREAMING now. All he can see is the inside of the garage, but who paints the inside of a garage???? (If it's common in other areas its NOT here.)

I simply say, "He's not here, thanks for stopping by, have a nice day."

He says, "Oh, yeah, looks like you're all moved in here...."

I say, "Have a good one, I gotta go." And I open the inside door just a little bit, he starts walking back to his truck then. I pulled out my phone and shot pictures of him and his truck....and I let him and the driver see me do it.

The truck had NO ladders or other painting equipment in it. It had some sort of small hoist in the back, like a small engine hoist or a really big toilet jack or something.

My husband says I should call the police, but with the economy the way it is, it's extremely possible that this guy really was just looking for work. Even with no painting equipment on the truck this was right around noon, it's possible he was helping a buddy out on another construction job and was driving around during his lunch hour looking for work.

We're not actually living in that house yet, and one peek in the window would tell them there is nothing to steal...so I'm not too worried about it yet.

Do you think I did enough? Should I have called the police?

Tegan

2. Remove Ads

Should have got his name, biz card and tag number. That way you'd have some info if things disappeared.
    oneshot and Tbonedemon like this.

I'm planning on painting our garage.

Wouldn't the unfinished drywall at least be painted white?
    Walther PK380 - SIG Sauer P238 - Glock 19

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Should have got his name, biz card and tag number. That way you'd have some info if things disappeared.
    I would of played along, and gotten the contact info, telling him you would consider him if you need his services in the future.

But overall, sounds like you did ok. As far as calling the police, how is the crime rate in the area? If it is a big department, they might not do anything. If it is a smaller (less busy) department, they might be able to do some extra drives through the area for a little while.
    oneshot likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

It never hurts to call the police and make a report. They typically have other break ins etc that may match this description of suspects etc. Youdid good to confront them.

I certainly would call and ask to file a report.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by enk5 View Post
    I'm planning on painting our garage.

Wouldn't the unfinished drywall at least be painted white?
    thats the color of mine................
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

I wouldn't go so far as to say you were being cased for future crime. But then, one never really knows for sure, do they? It's likely I would have taken him at his word.

I think you did good by going out to greet him and interact with him. I am constantly in an intelligence gathering mode, and likely I would have gone ahead and asked him for a business card or phone number to contact him later if you do want painting. That way you at least have a name or something to work with and or check out.

One thing is for certain, if he saw you taking his picture and he was in fact casing your place, you just let him know that you are someone who pays attention and now have documentation of him snooping around. That will likely cause him to pick another target.

As far as calling the police goes, I don't see anything in your interaction with him which warrants a call to the police, at least at this point. If however, you see him again prowling and growling in the area, I would call and make a report so be sure to save the photo's you took.

You can also do your own documentation by writing down all you remember and include the date and time. Just because you don't call the police, doesn't mean you can't make your own "personal report/log" of the incident.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

My garage was painted and the ceiling was textured like the rest of the house, new when we moved in.

No crime committed here, and certainly nothing requiring a police report. You made the right choice not involving the PD.
    str1
    SIXTO likes this.

VIP Member
    Legitimate maybe, maybe not? The first thing that came to my mind was that some of these guys cruise looking for the new appliances stored nearby (often in the garge) not yet installed, but easy to come back for, load up and leave with.

Good luck, at least they saw you taking their picture.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

It does sound suspicious to say the least. Crooks these days are cooking up really good "scenarios" to gain access to a house for the purpose of stealing you blind. Getting the photos was a good thing in case they do come back for a repeat.

Not that these guys were dirtbags, I am just getting to the point of not trusting anyone who is slinking about my neighborhood, "looking" for work. It's just too easy to be targeted by those who appear to be legitimate, then turn out not to be. It is a sad commentary to how low our society has fallen.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    I'm partners with a builder, and we occasionally are approached as such. I usually tell them that no builder in their right mind would hire a sub off the street, and that they need to find a new means of seeking employment. In my case, they usually come back after dark to see if we left any tools or supplies that can easily be carried off. Then they'll flip over the port-o-potty in frustration when they realize that we leave nothing of value and move on.

I profile, I generalize, and I generally assume that these guys are up to no good.

Yeah...I may not file a report just yet, but i'd definitely be documenting and taking pics. People are always hitting new home constructions around the area here and cleaning out tools, appliances, wiring, piping etc... Basically everything including the nailed down stuff... Sometimes even in broad daylight.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Remember, even if nothing in the house is of value and worth stealing, there's still the house itself. Several of my coworkers own rental units and have had contractors tools left overnight, copper pipes, etc go missing. Even saw freshly installed kitchen appliances and cabinets stolen on one of those "house flipper" shows that were popular before the housing bubble burst.
    "Legitimate use of violence can only be that which is required in self-defense."
    Ron Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I'm partners with a builder, and we occasionally are approached as such. I usually tell them that no builder in their right mind would hire a sub off the street, and that they need to find a new means of seeking employment. In my case, they usually come back after dark to see if we left any tools or supplies that can easily be carried off. Then they'll flip over the port-o-potty in frustration when they realize that we leave nothing of value and move on.

I profile, I generalize, and I generally assume that these guys are up to no good.
    Unfortunately I have to agree. My husband does const., never hires just off the street and sounds like he's checking the place out for goods. If you've any electric yet I'd put up a deer cam. I wish the best for you!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links