Gated Communities

Gated Communities

This is a discussion on Gated Communities within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I thought I'd bring this topic up, and see what kind of responses it gathers. Gated communities are becoming more popular in the area I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Gated Communities

Gated Communities

I thought I'd bring this topic up, and see what kind of responses it gathers.

Gated communities are becoming more popular in the area I live. There is one just a couple blocks down the road from my house. There is an approximatly 10' brick wall completely surrounding the sub-division, and it has two gated entries/exits.

Does anyone on this forum live in a gated community?
    Do those that live in a gated community feel a better sense of security?

I was driving by the community just down the road from me the other day, and I noticed there is a large sign on the gate that says "Use YELP mode to gain entrance" and has a picture of a siren speaker. This is obviously for police, fire, and paramedics to gain quick access to the area, which in my mind is a pretty good idea, until I realized this...

I pulled up my Iphone and the App store and searched for police siren. I found a free app that had a police siren, that you could select different modes, one of them "Yelp". I downloaded the app, and turned it on to YELP and placed the speaker of my phone to the entry keypad... The gates opened. Both entrance and exit gates.

I obviously did not enter the compound since I do not live in there, nor have any business in there, and this I know is where some will attack me for even doing what I did. But this brought my questions from above.

If you live in a gated community do you feel more secure?
    Knowing this, does this perhaps make you think your security thoughts might be more towards the false end?

Since I don't live in a gated community myself I can't say that Im shocked or anyting, since my house is no more secure than those. I just find it rather interesting, and think that the occupants of the community may find themselves living a false sense of security thinking, the bad guys wont get me in here since we have gates.

Well any BG with an iPhone can get into your gated community.

$0.02 please.

X

Well any BG with an iPhone can get into your gated community.

$0.02 please.
    At that point I guess You'd be in the same boat as those of us who don't live in gated communities. Probably not a good idea to abandon normal security practices and place all your faith in a gate.

Cool

I live in a gated community with an automatic entrance and exit gate but no security officers. People who do not live here follow residents in all the time. The local SO comes in a few times a day to drive around the 350 plus homes. There have been some car burlaries in the past but no resident burglaries save for the garage left open and items taken from there during the day when lawn and pool workers are present.

I have an alarm system at my residence, a pitbull and a doberman inside, outside security lighting with motion detectors and security door locks. As I tell those who have been the victims of crime, it can happen anywhere to anyone. Do I feel that it happens less in the gated communities in the area I live in as compaired to the non-gated ones I would have to say yes but it still happens and it usually happens to the homes and cars that are the easiest to get into. I try to make mine hard targets.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

While I don't live in a gated community, I consider them most appropirate for minor riffraff and solicitors, not criminals. If I lived in one it would not effect my personal security preparations in the least.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Residents of gated communities are one of the biggest weaknesses. Too many will give out the code to workmen,plumber, carpet cleaner, relatives, friends........

The gates lose their effectiveness very quickly.

VIP Member
    Those gates may not keep out a thief but they will keep out a hoard zombies :)
    Keisukekun and Savage206 like this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

a gated comunity is a joke at best. lived in one for 6 months. realy had me wondering if the gate was to keep them IN or out. moved as soon as I could. if your thinking about it, go there and hang out during the night. see what hapenes.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

I pass a gated community on my dog-walking route. No live person working the gate, and the gates are left OPEN for at least an hour every morning at commuter time. As a security measure, a gate without a live, breathing gatekeeper is pretty useless.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Since menial dictators known as an HOA control most gated communities I personally would never live in one.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

The gate has to be manned and the neighborhood patrolled to be effective.

Dirtbags go to where the 'goodies' are stored. What do you think is stored in gated communities?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

What Guantes said. They probably do a good job of keeping the general riff-raff out.
    Now, having recently finished reading "Lights Out"... living in a community with a 10' brick wall surrounding it could save a lot of ditch digging.

I live in a gated community. We have either brick wall or steel fence surrounding us with one entrance that is manned by contract security 24/7/365. We also have a deputy sheriff under contract. Some would say our wall/fence is to keep undesirables out. Others would say it is to keep the gators from the bayou out of our swimming pools.

Some might say that this stuff makes our neighborhood attractive to criminals. Maybe so. But given the work ethic of the stereotypical criminal, why go to the effort to get past our security theater when there are similar homes across the street from our neighborhood with no security at all?

We don't have to be secure. We just have to look more secure than the other guys do.
    Old School likes this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

My son lived in one for a while, but the Home Owner's Association made Nazis look like girl scouts. To get in, you had to stop, the security guard at the front gate called, and gave you a pass that you had to turn in when you left, or the home owner was fined. I usually drove through the contractor's entrance, which was always open.
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Distinguished Member
    There was a fire recently in an upscale gated community here. The fire trucks could not get in and were delayed. The house ended up burning down - at the time there were no visible flames but there were interior wall fires.

Tragic.

And yes, I recently got the gate code from a resident who I met at a party. I like to look at landscaping there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links