Official Home Security Thread - Page 2

Official Home Security Thread

This is a discussion on Official Home Security Thread within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by joker1 Don't post on facebook about being out of town and such. THIS! A thousand times, this!!!...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Official Home Security Thread

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    Don't post on facebook about being out of town and such.
    THIS! A thousand times, this!!!

I once met a retired successful burglar here in St. Louis. He painted houses for a living. While working in neighborhoods, he cased the neighbor's homes and tracked their daily habits of coming and going...work, shopping etc. He told me that he never hit the homes that he worked at to avoid suspicion of himself. The door jam armor product mentioned here reminded me of his story. Anyway, he went to junkyards and bought several old style bumper jacks. He would place the jack on the door jams, in line with the dead bolt lock and jack the jam apart to clear the the lock. He prided himself on being able to not leave any marks so to baffle investigators on how entry was made. By doing his homework, he knew that he had the time to work his art, avoid alarms/dogs and best of all do it in broad daylight. He was never caught in the 10 years of this practice.

db
    Kimber PCII .45
    Springfield XD9mm SC
    Kel-Tech P-11 9mm
    AR-15

good stuff guys. keep them coming, im moving in 4 months
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

Quote Originally Posted by pica View Post
    Interesting take on home security you certainly have a home that is not inviting to criminals with the light set up, alarm system etc. I see a few issues though, one does the alarm system have a cell phone back up in case the phone lines are cut and two your safe room has bars over your only escape route if a fire starts outside the door how would you escape the room. Just some issues to think about.
    I do have a cell phone backup out of necessity and two more back-up battery's then a typical system. The bars on the window can be opened from the inside. If you look closely at the pic of the bars from the out side you can see to hinges on the left and a sliding bolt on the right.
    HK. Because you suck. And we hate you.

"Retired and successful?" interesting terminology for a guy that stole things that didn't belong to him and struck fear in home owners. Just sayin....

Quote Originally Posted by db4usa View Post
    I once met a retired successful burglar here in St. Louis. He painted houses for a living. While working in neighborhoods, he cased the neighbor's homes and tracked their daily habits of coming and going...work, shopping etc. He told me that he never hit the homes that he worked at to avoid suspicion of himself. The door jam armor product mentioned here reminded me of his story. Anyway, he went to junkyards and bought several old style bumper jacks. He would place the jack on the door jams, in line with the dead bolt lock and jack the jam apart to clear the the lock. He prided himself on being able to not leave any marks so to baffle investigators on how entry was made. By doing his homework, he knew that he had the time to work his art, avoid alarms/dogs and best of all do it in broad daylight. He was never caught in the 10 years of this practice.

db

OP can i ask where you got those motion lights? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rugerguy View Post
    OP can i ask where you got those motion lights? thanks
    Lowes.

HK I'm actually talking with a carpenter now. I'm considering the Strikemaster or just spending more on a steel door jam with "L bars" (what are those?) Can you get one and still use the fiberglass door? also if I get a new door, I'm seeing advice over and over to get an out swing door. Any specific hard ware upgrades you recommend in locks and hinges??

The fireman says....

The harder you make it for you to get out and us to get in, the more dangerous it is. Look into residential sprinkler systems, they can be a life and property saver. Likely they pay for themselves in insurance savings.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    The fireman says....

The harder you make it for you to get out and us to get in, the more dangerous it is. Look into residential sprinkler systems, they can be a life and property saver. Likely they pay for themselves in insurance savings.
    You are correct.

In my case I keep a fire extingusher in three locals in my house. The alarm has two smoke alarms wired into the system. As a backup I use a battery operated detector and a a carbon monoxide detector. Only two of four exterior doors have keyed locks in addition to knob bolts due to their proximity to a window.

HK I'm actually talking with a carpenter now. I'm considering the Strikemaster or just spending more on a steel door jam with "L bars" (what are those?) Can you get one and still use the fiberglass door? also if I get a new door, I'm seeing advice over and over to get an out swing door. Any specific hard ware upgrades you recommend in locks and hinges??
    For a existing jam Door Jam Armor is the best product I have seen to date on the market. I don't know what L bars are. A commercial style steel jam and door will cost you thousands, personally I would not bother unless new construction or in a very high crime area. You can use a fiberglass door but they are weaker then a steel door. I use security hinges with the stud and hole fit but only on a shed door with exterior exposed hinges. I would not set my door up as a out swing unless I had to and you need security hinges if you do. If you have a reinforced jam you don't need to mess with a out swing setup.

As far as hardware, flush mount abloy, medeco, or multi-lock are all great choice. Keep in mind you get what you pay for with locks and no lock is pick proof but the higher end locks mentioned above are worlds apart from their hardware store counterparts.

Quote Originally Posted by db4usa View Post

db
    The jack is a good technique but two dead bolts a foot or more apart would really complicate that method for the BG. Also the alarm properly installed would sound as the door is spread from the jam.

I'm mostly concerned about a front door kick in invasion when we are home.

I'm mostly concerned about a front door kick in invasion when we are home.
    I have installed the Door Jamb Armor kit HKCHEF mentioned above, and I too think it is the best solution I've come across. It's about $100, and is available at Lowes.

As far as preventing kick-ins while home, door barricades may be a good solution. It's a set of brackets that screw into the studs around your door. You then slide 2x4s into them when you want to secure the door closed. I tend to think this is overkill with Door Jamb Armor installed though.

Door Barricade Double 2x4 Slide Security Brackets - Security Systems and Surveillance - Product Reviews and Prices - Shopping.com

I'm moving into my first apartment on Sunday and as soon as I get in I'll be checking around for ways to secure the place. I don't have to worry too much about the sliding glass door to the patio unless the burglars have grappling hooks, because mine is on the third floor. Windows are also not a focus. Basically all of my security measures will hinge on securing my valuables themselves and securing the door as the only viable entrance to the place.

For when I'm home I have my M&P .40c that I carry daily. Usually when I get home at my parents house I take the entire gun/holster combo off and sit it next to my perch of choice, pointed in a safe direction. That way it's quickly accessible. I also have my Remington 870 set up with the safety off, chamber empty on a non-primed firing pin so I don't have to fumble with the magazine slide release. It's currently got 6 2-3/4" shells in the tube, #00. I'm looking for some good #4 to keep in it at the apartment to minimize over-penetration risk. It sits in a hall closet that's between my bedroom and the front door, and easily access from the living room. Not sure what I'll do with it in the apartment.

For front door security, I'm thinking of getting a device my neighbor has to keep his kids from opening the door from the inside, it's a bar that hooks under the doorknob and has a rubber foot that braces on the floor to keep the door from moving. I have a feeling it was originally intended to brace the door for impact and he just uses it as a child lock. For when I'm away I'm not sure. I don't yet know if I'm allowed to change the locks or reinforce the door frame.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links