Official Home Security Thread

This is a discussion on Official Home Security Thread within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by paaiyan I'm moving into my first apartment on Sunday and as soon as I get in I'll be checking around for ways ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Official Home Security Thread

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    I'm moving into my first apartment on Sunday and as soon as I get in I'll be checking around for ways to secure the place. I don't have to worry too much about the sliding glass door to the patio unless the burglars have grappling hooks, because mine is on the third floor. Windows are also not a focus. Basically all of my security measures will hinge on securing my valuables themselves and securing the door as the only viable entrance to the place.

For when I'm home I have my M&P .40c that I carry daily. Usually when I get home at my parents house I take the entire gun/holster combo off and sit it next to my perch of choice, pointed in a safe direction. That way it's quickly accessible. I also have my Remington 870 set up with the safety off, chamber empty on a non-primed firing pin so I don't have to fumble with the magazine slide release. It's currently got 6 2-3/4" shells in the tube, #00. I'm looking for some good #4 to keep in it at the apartment to minimize over-penetration risk. It sits in a hall closet that's between my bedroom and the front door, and easily access from the living room. Not sure what I'll do with it in the apartment.

For front door security, I'm thinking of getting a device my neighbor has to keep his kids from opening the door from the inside, it's a bar that hooks under the doorknob and has a rubber foot that braces on the floor to keep the door from moving. I have a feeling it was originally intended to brace the door for impact and he just uses it as a child lock. For when I'm away I'm not sure. I don't yet know if I'm allowed to change the locks or reinforce the door frame.
    Get renters insurance.

Not much you can do past what you have stated with someone else's property.
    HK. Because you suck. And we hate you.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by HKCHEF View Post
    Get renters insurance.

Not much you can do past what you have stated with someone else's property.
    I moved in on the 1st of this month and had renters insurance in place on the 2nd. I have $10k of coverage for right now, plus a floater to cover my soon-to-be wife's rings. The shotgun currently sits on a shelf in the laundry room, in the same condition I stated earlier. The laundry room is in direct line of sight from the front door, and right at the entrance to both the bedroom and bathroom. If you walk in the door of the apartment the living area is on the right, the kitchen and dining area on the left. If you keep walking straight you'll hit the laundry closet with the bathroom on the left and bedroom on the right. The front door has what seems like a fairly sturdy deadbolt with a good long throw, solid door. The stairwell is fairly narrow and difficult to navigate with large objects in hand (trust me on that one) so honestly, unless I was specifically a target, someone would have to be an idiot to try my place as a random smash-n-grab.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Locksmith services

Mr Locks main locksmith services consist of the following categories: Locks, Doors, Keys, Safes, Gates. Get inside to learn more about each of these services. Mr. Locks locksmith services are available in New York, Miami, Chicago, Boston, Las Vegas. All services run on a 24/7 basis, and are answered within 15 minutes response time. Mr Locks | Locksmith | 24 Hour Locksmith Service | Car & Automotive Locksmiths | Emergency Locks Change & Repair

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links