Flashbangs / Smoke to Supplement HD?

This is a discussion on Flashbangs / Smoke to Supplement HD? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Don't know if this is the right place for this. If not I apologize. Would it be legal/a good idea to use smoke grenades or ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Flashbangs / Smoke to Supplement HD?

Flashbangs / Smoke to Supplement HD?

Don't know if this is the right place for this. If not I apologize. Would it be legal/a good idea to use smoke grenades or flash bangs during a home invasion? My bedroom open directly into the hall way and there isn't any good way to scan the area before stepping out.

I know people say stay in your room and don't go looking for the BG, but I live with my parents (I'm going to school online) and I have younger siblings and if someone breaks into the house I am going to be checking on them.

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    *Moved and renamed*

I'd say using mild explosives in your own home is a no-go, the increased fire hazard being one reason, the smoke will also blind you, especially in-doors being another.

Are flashbangs even legal for us civilians?

You're just having a little fun with folks here ........right.....?????
    How old are you?...your siblings? If this is a serious question...please don't get any smoke grenades or flashbangs. A home invasion event isn't going to be like what you saw on the movie "Home Alone". Get a dog...............
    Lewis128 likes this.
    To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    *Moved and renamed*

I'd say using mild explosives in your own home is a no-go, the increased fire hazard being one reason, the smoke will also blind you, especially in-doors being another.

Are flashbangs even legal for us civilians?
    I believe they have a tamer version of flash bangs that was designed for Airsoft.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorblade View Post
    You're just having a little fun with folks here ........right.....?????
    How old are you?...your siblings? If this is a serious question...please don't get any smoke grenades or flashbangs. A home invasion event isn't going to be like what you saw on the movie "Home Alone". Get a dog...............
    No, I was trying to come up with a way to get out of my bedroom without walking into an ambush. I know it isn't going to be like in home alone. I'm not talking about booby traps, I'm talking about using a smoke screen to move with out being seen. How would a dog help exactly?

I'm uncomfortable posting info about them on an internet forum, but suffice it to say that they wouldn't be able to defend themselves. I'll be 23 this September.

I don't know anything about smoke grenades or flash bangs since I've never been in the military (I have issues with my teeth that DQ me from service.)

VIP Member
    Setting your home on fire is a poor diversion plan. I strongly recommend taking incendiaries and explosives off your list of considerations.

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    You want to use a smoke screen? In your house? Uhhhhhmmmmmm.....

Well, my local Party City Store has smoke machines for $39.95.
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

A good dog can be an early warning system giving you a chance to get out of bed, arm yourself, get the flashlight, and get to those who need checking on. Would also be wise to instruct everyone on where to meet if the dog goes off. The flashlight, with momentary on/off or strobe feature can be used to disorientate intruders giving you a great advantage. Flashbangs are not practical for clearing your home from the inside.
    RevolvingMag and WHEC724 like this.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

As an alternative, you could set up a halogen work light with a switch to turn on if the front door is opened. If you know a certified electrician, I'm sure he could rig it to turn off again after a few seconds.
    But your money may be better spent reinforcing the door.
    This sights was highlighted in another thread:

Door Security Products ***** Front door Security ***** Stop kick ins ***** Doors

The Ultimate Lock

LLumar Window Films for Automotive, Commercial, Residential

Budget constraints have prevented me from buying their products, but you may find something useful and a LOT less fire-hazard prone.

I'm not saying you have to go out and spend thousands of dollars on a trained german shepard, I have a sheltie mix and he just lets me know something is not right in the area.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BRTCP88 View Post
    Don't know if this is the right place for this. If not I apologize. Would it be legal/a good idea to use smoke grenades or flash bangs during a home invasion? My bedroom open directly into the hall way and there isn't any good way to scan the area before stepping out.

I know people say stay in your room and don't go looking for the BG, but I live with my parents (I'm going to school online) and I have younger siblings and if someone breaks into the house I am going to be checking on them.
    The result of this would probably be injury of some kind. Do you have any training in the use of noise/flash munitions? Both they and smoke grenades carry a risk of fire. Additionally, the use of smoke in enclosed spaces carries a significant risk of asphyxiation, I would think. Screening smoke is not pleasant to breathe outside in the open, I imagine it could be fatal inside.

You should chalk this up as a bad idea. If you have older parents and much younger siblings, the risk of permanent injury or death from the use/misuse of smoke and distraction devices outweighs any conceivable benefit. I can't think of a benefit they would have to you anyway.

Plus, like JD said, I'm not sure they're legal to own, and if they are, they're certainly hard to find and expensive.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I greatly admire your enthusiasm. But, I have to agree with everyone else here; burning the house is not a good distraction. I have one of these http://www.nebotools.com/prod_detail...id=&subsubcid= and it's wonderful. Incredibly bright + full strobe.
    As for getting a dog, I would recommend something with a little Chow in it (maybe a grandparent or something like that) my mother's dog- part Chow, part Lab- is ferocious. Or, at least she sounds like it. That dog would make enough noise to let the neighborhood know that someone is messing around where they shouldn't be.
    Lewis128 likes this.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

VIP Member

Thumbs up

Chow's and Labs make for a great mix! The lab makes it loveable, and the chow allows it to screw it's head on when it needs to.
    RevolvingMag likes this.

I'm going to join the "This is a bad idea" crowd.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Chow's and Labs make for a great mix! The lab makes it loveable, and the chow allows it to screw it's head on when it needs to.
    Not to mention beautiful 'mutts'. Like my mother's; you don't see the Chow until you make her angry- then it's obvious in the hair. Or you see her tongue as she attacks you with it... that is the most loving/licking dog I've ever known.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Administrator
    No, No and uhhh....

No!
    dukalmighty and atctimmy like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links