Can the authorities legally keep you from your home? - Page 2

Can the authorities legally keep you from your home?

This is a discussion on Can the authorities legally keep you from your home? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by mr.stuart This is a hot topic where I live.We have mandatory evacuation because of hurricanes.The LEO I have spoken with about this ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Can the authorities legally keep you from your home?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.stuart View Post
    This is a hot topic where I live.We have mandatory evacuation because of hurricanes.The LEO I have spoken with about this just laugh.They might block you from returning to your home,but how many cops would it take to go into every home and force everyone to leave?I can understand,to some degree,not letting people back in.How would they tell the good people from the bad?
    Drivers license.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    Mr. Stuart wrote: "can understand,to some degree,not letting people back in.How would they tell the good people from the bad?

Mr. Ksholder responded:
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Drivers license.
    Yeah, for sure. My DL had a big B on it for?

Actually, it has an A on it too. You all can reflect on what that A on my license might mean but you can't post it here without getting some points and causing the thread to close.

Yeah, for sure. My DL had a big B on it for?
    My drivers license has my address on it, showing that I live in what is now a tornado ravaged area, I assume yours does as well? Which is how the police / sheriff would be able to recognize that you do indeed live in the affected area.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal...

Alabama Constitution of 1901 - That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state.

I understand the desire to protect your property. Here is another way of looking at it.

Many people don't have the sense God gave a goose, when one of these people get injured after going into a dangerous environment, they will sue the local authorities for "not knowing better than to let someone into a danger zone"

When some idiot get's himself electrocuted, first responders are going to have to risk their lives to go save this fool, when they could be conducting search operations for people that are trapped.

Most people aren't trained or equipped to safely be in a disaster site.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

They may set up exclusion zones in disaster areas and keep folks out until stuff like downed power lines and chemical/gas leaks are properly secured. After that it can be a bit of a balancing act between access and security. Just because someone lives in an area does not necessarily mean they are not above stealing from their neighbors who are still out of town.

One of the ways you can possibly get "early" access back into your area is to get involved with your local emergency management office. If you are active as part of a Community Emergency Response Team you get credentials that may get you past road blocks so you can help with the damage assessment. There are times when it is good to be on a "government list."
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by stevem174 View Post
    I understand the desire to protect your property. Here is another way of looking at it.

Many people don't have the sense God gave a goose, when one of these people get injured after going into a dangerous environment, they will sue the local authorities for "not knowing better than to let someone into a danger zone"

When some idiot get's himself electrocuted, first responders are going to have to risk their lives to go save this fool, when they could be conducting search operations for people that are trapped.

Most people aren't trained or equipped to safely be in a disaster site.
    There's a fairly simple solution for this. Each person let through a roadblock etc... is given a pass or stamp of some sort or their info is recorded from the DL. If said person is found to have gotten themselves in a sticky situation after passing through, THEY ARE ON THEIR OWN.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    There's a fairly simple solution for this. Each person let through a roadblock etc... is given a pass or stamp of some sort or their info is recorded from the DL. If said person is found to have gotten themselves in a sticky situation after passing through, THEY ARE ON THEIR OWN.
    When I read this, I had visions of a Deputy handing out a sheet of paper while saying " Here's your sign!!"
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Here... one town was totally destroyed and they would not let any property owners in, but let press , LEO's , and workers in..... safes were broken into the contents stolen, etc. out of UN-damaged homes. Then they bulldozed everything and trashed it, not giving residents to ever go thru any of it.

Long story short, they said they learned to never ever do that ... that way .... again.

They can supposedly do it "for the safety of the public", to be able to get in emergency equipment, and to prevent looting. Doesn't make it any better. They stopped me 'once', and I just told them "watch me" and went to the property thru a back way (yep, I snuck in) and didn't leave.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I think one of the benefits of living in a rural area is that we do not generally need to worry about such things. In essence, there are no forced evacuations. At least for things like natural disasters. I lived in an area where a tornado tore through and ravaged a major portion of a small town about 12 miles from me including most of the business district destroying many historical sites.

While the local law enforcement was turning around the "Lookie Lou's" who just wanted to drive through and look around, if you had a legitimate reason to be there or a homeowner, you were not denied access.

One of my business partners involved with me in a small cattle operation got hit hard. Leveled his house, damaged his barn and killed and spread some cows over the area. I drove down less than 8 hours after the storm. LEO's stopped me and all I needed to do was say that I was there to help friend and business partner locate, salvage and save our cattle and his property.

In rural areas where the resources are thin for both law enforcement and for clean-up and rebuild crews, the governing bodies tend to not go overboard on forcing evacuations or keeping people out who either live in the affected area, or have legitimate reasons to give assistance.

Again, LEO's had roadblocks set up on the main streets and routes, and had people turn around who had no reason to be there. But those who lived or came to legitimately help with disaster operations were faced with no problems regarding access.

It may be a completely different story for some sort of political, military, terror incident, but for natural disasters... no forced evacuations or keeping people out.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links