Let's talk about storm cellars/shelters - Page 2

Let's talk about storm cellars/shelters

This is a discussion on Let's talk about storm cellars/shelters within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I do like the idea but I have a question. What do you do if you are inside this box and the house falls down ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Let's talk about storm cellars/shelters

I do like the idea but I have a question. What do you do if you are inside this box and the house falls down on top of the sliding door? I would have to pipe in a vent, power, phone, water and some type of bathroom. I hope somebody knows I am in there.

I live in Huntsville , AL and can say I dodged a big bullet last week. I lost my shed door and food spoiled due to power outage. I am thankful, lucky, and blessed compared to some of my fellow neighbors. Those F5's leveled houses that were to be "solid". It is amazing to see it in person. I myself am looking into building a below ground shelter soon. It a safety factor and a selling point for real estate in my belief. I think a big selling point in North AL. will be a storm shelter for the next 10 years. On a side note, I was glad to that Larry's Pistol and Pawn was OK!
    ARMY INFANTRY 11c

What use is an unloaded gun? --Tony Soprano

"A ___ is better than the ___ you left at/ in the ____" -- My answer to 99% of the ?'s on here

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HKinNY View Post
    I do like the idea but I have a question. What do you do if you are inside this box and the house falls down on top of the sliding door? I would have to pipe in a vent, power, phone, water and some type of bathroom. I hope somebody knows I am in there.
    A couple of things here. There is ventilation at all times, so you aren't going to suffocate. I'm sure it wouldn't be comfortable if you were stuck in there all day in July or August, but you would survive. Another thing is that you're supposed to keep a fence puller (or "come-along") in there. They have a video demonstration on their website of a guy winching the door open with two tons of bricks on top of it. And of course, it would be a good idea to take your cell phone whenever you went into it and have some water handy.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by HKinNY View Post
    My wife and I survived a tornado 5 Feb 2008 that took our house.. We survived in a bedroom closet. A couple down from us was hit too and they made it into a POD type shelter in their house. They found their bodies a week later. The house collapsed on top of the shelter and the rubble covered any sign of them. They suffocated in the shelter. I really don't know if there is any real way to beat a tornado. The house next to me was taken, every brick and the entire foundation and basement. If the tornado doesn't totally destroy the house, interior closets seem to work. If the tornado is strong enough to totally destroy the house, your shelter is just another grave. The force of a tornado is beyond belief!
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post
    My wife and I survived a tornado 5 Feb 2008 that took our house.. We survived in a bedroom closet. A couple down from us was hit too and they made it into a POD type shelter in their house. They found their bodies a week later. The house collapsed on top of the shelter and the rubble covered any sign of them. They suffocated in the shelter. I really don't know if there is any real way to beat a tornado. The house next to me was taken, every brick and the entire foundation and basement. If the tornado doesn't totally destroy the house, interior closets seem to work. If the tornado is strong enough to totally destroy the house, your shelter is just another grave. The force of a tornado is beyond belief!
    First off, I'm glad you and your wife are okay.

That's the very reason I won't even look at one of those "inside the house" shelters, also sold as "safe rooms" or "panic rooms." That's an appropriate name, though, because I'll guarantee you that if I were in one and a tornado was delivering it to a location three miles away, "panic" would be the word. For my money, you simply can't beat a hole in the ground.

So they had one of those fiberglass pods inside the house? That sounds a bit strange. If nothing else, those things are ugly as sin and that's why they're to be buried in the ground.

-miklcolt45

Underground is were it's at. Flat safe has a great product.
    HK. Because you suck. And we hate you.

Administrator
    There will always be the what ifs with these types of things. Nature is far to unpredictable for us to come up with a fail proof system to protect ourselves against everything she's got. But, there are some good things out there to stack the odds in our favor. I'd take my chances in a pod vs. a closet anytime.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by HKCHEF View Post
    Underground is were it's at. Flat safe has a great product.
    I agree. If you don't mind my asking, do you have one? I would love to hear from someone who does. I've been impressed with their website but there's nothing like an unbiased view.

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    There will always be the what ifs with these types of things. Nature is far to unpredictable for us to come up with a fail proof system to protect ourselves against everything she's got. But, there are some good things out there to stack the odds in our favor. I'd take my chances in a pod vs. a closet anytime.
    Same here. Wooden boards aren't exactly my idea of a protective material in a tornado and I even hesitate to look at the all-steel "safe rooms."

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    I agree. If you don't mind my asking, do you have one? I would love to hear from someone who does. I've been impressed with their website but there's nothing like an unbiased view.
    Not yet. I plan to purchase mine soon. I have seen them in person and they are a solid design.
    HK. Because you suck. And we hate you.

Quote Originally Posted by HKCHEF View Post
    Not yet. I plan to purchase mine soon. I have seen them in person and they are a solid design.
    Thanks. I requested their info and it turns out that they now have an office in Nashville, a couple of hours from me.

Still thinking about it.

-miklcolt45

We can joke, but in all humor there is a bit of reality. This would work... although I would cover the roof and put in a couple of air vents.
    Erick46590 likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Ex Member
    I have thought of this BUT I think I would want 2 entrances, what happens if a tree lands on the opening, or maybe a inside opening with a chain saw inside.

Some different types : (borrowed from Glock Talk)

US Storm Shelters - Decatur, TX:
    U.S. Storm Shelters and Safe Rooms
    Standard model - $3000 installed (plus additional shipping if out of area)

Hausners Shelters - Drumright, OK (no prices listed)
    Hausner's Storm Shelters

Jarrel Storm Shelters - Jarrell, TX:
    Storm Shelters - Jarrell Storm Shelters
    Regular Shelter $3000 installed (+ additional shipping if more than 150 miles away)
    Flat Top Shelter $3500 installed (+ additional shipping if more than 150 miles away)

Shelters of Texas - Flower Mound, TX
    Storm Shelters Tornado Shelters Safe Rooms
    The Refuge (fiberglass) 4.5x6x6 Flat Top - $4000 installed (plus shipping if out of area)
    The Refuge (fiberglass) 5x6x6.5 Flat Top -$5000 installed (plus shipping if out of area)
    The Refuge (fiberglass) 6x8x6.9 Standard -$5000 installed (plus shipping if out of area)

Pre-cast concrete 6x8x6 Standard - $3450 installed (plus shipping if out of area)
    Pre-cast concrete 5x7x6 Standard - $3450 installed (plus shipping if out of area)
    Pre-cast concrete 5x7x6 Flat-Top - $3800 installed (plus shipping if out of area)
    Builtsafe 5x6x6 -$3960
    Builtsafe 6x8x6 -$4785
    Builtsafe 6x8x6.5 -$5385
    Builtsafe 6x12x6 - $5990
    Builtsafe 6x12x6.5 - $6490
    Steelclad Safe Rooms 6x8x7.5 - $7800
    Steelclad Safe Rooms 8x8x7.5 - $9000

Safecastle - Prior Lake, MN (no price listed):
    http://www.safecastle.com/storm-shelters.php

Storm E Scape - Pauline Kenefic, OK (no prices listed)
    http://www.stormescapentxok.com

Southern Illinois Storm Shelters - Buckner, IL (no prices listed)
    http://www.sheltersonline.com/

Osceola Machine - Osceola, Arkansas (no prices listed)
    http://www.osceolamachine.com
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post

We can joke, but in all humor there is a bit of reality. This would work... although I would cover the roof and put in a couple of air vents.
    In all sincerity, I would do this, except I would have taken it down about another three feet and had at least two feet of dirt on top. A van or short bus would be better and I would definitely add some air vents and fans.

-miklcolt45

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links