Let's talk about storm cellars/shelters - Page 3

Let's talk about storm cellars/shelters

This is a discussion on Let's talk about storm cellars/shelters within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Eagleks Some different types : (borrowed from Glock Talk) US Storm Shelters - Decatur, TX: U.S. Storm Shelters and Safe Rooms Standard ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Let's talk about storm cellars/shelters

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Some different types : (borrowed from Glock Talk)

US Storm Shelters - Decatur, TX:
    U.S. Storm Shelters and Safe Rooms
    Standard model - $3000 installed (plus additional shipping if out of area)

Hausners Shelters - Drumright, OK (no prices listed)
    Hausner's Storm Shelters

Jarrel Storm Shelters - Jarrell, TX:
    Storm Shelters - Jarrell Storm Shelters
    Regular Shelter $3000 installed (+ additional shipping if more than 150 miles away)
    Flat Top Shelter $3500 installed (+ additional shipping if more than 150 miles away)

Shelters of Texas - Flower Mound, TX
    Storm Shelters Tornado Shelters Safe Rooms
    The Refuge (fiberglass) 4.5x6x6 Flat Top - $4000 installed (plus shipping if out of area)
    The Refuge (fiberglass) 5x6x6.5 Flat Top -$5000 installed (plus shipping if out of area)
    The Refuge (fiberglass) 6x8x6.9 Standard -$5000 installed (plus shipping if out of area)

Pre-cast concrete 6x8x6 Standard - $3450 installed (plus shipping if out of area)
    Pre-cast concrete 5x7x6 Standard - $3450 installed (plus shipping if out of area)
    Pre-cast concrete 5x7x6 Flat-Top - $3800 installed (plus shipping if out of area)
    Builtsafe 5x6x6 -$3960
    Builtsafe 6x8x6 -$4785
    Builtsafe 6x8x6.5 -$5385
    Builtsafe 6x12x6 - $5990
    Builtsafe 6x12x6.5 - $6490
    Steelclad Safe Rooms 6x8x7.5 - $7800
    Steelclad Safe Rooms 8x8x7.5 - $9000

Safecastle - Prior Lake, MN (no price listed):
    Server Error

Storm E Scape - Pauline Kenefic, OK (no prices listed)
    http://www.stormescapentxok.com

Southern Illinois Storm Shelters - Buckner, IL (no prices listed)
    Lifesaver Storm Shelters, Benton Illinois

Osceola Machine - Osceola, Arkansas (no prices listed)
    http://www.osceolamachine.com
    Thanks. I've seen most of these and I'm trying to find a way to come out cheaper. We have tornado threats so seldom in this area that comfort (or the lack thereof) isn't a big deal. Growing up in Alabama, I spent most of the night in one a few times.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    I have thought of this BUT I think I would want 2 entrances, what happens if a tree lands on the opening, or maybe a inside opening with a chain saw inside.
    I've been reading lately that if you have a cellar, you should register it with the local emergency services so they'll know where to look for you if that happens.

It's not a bad idea.
    Last edited by SpringerXD; May 13th, 2011 at 11:43 PM.

-miklcolt45

I've been "in" 3 of them, from small to very large, and watched several others. I do NOT want to be in a 4th. I 've seen many times what they will do and can do. The worse ones are the ones that hit in the middle of the night, 1 of the one's I was in was a night tornado while camping... all we could do was hit the ground.

A woman and daughter were picked up in their car by an F-5, said they saw a few cows flying by while they were in it, and were deposited about 5 miles away..... suviving it, which is one F-5 that I actually saw. The same F5 took one family's house , they found all of them scattered across the countryside dead, but could not find the baby. An Officer found the baby about 3 miles away, in a tree, still wrapped up .... crying .... and alive. Can you imagine the ride that baby had.

The problem with tornados here is, they are quite common.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I've been "in" 3 of them, from small to very large, and watched several others. I do NOT want to be in a 4th. I 've seen many times what they will do and can do. The worse ones are the ones that hit in the middle of the night, 1 of the one's I was in was a night tornado while camping... all we could do was hit the ground.

A woman and daughter were picked up in their car by an F-5, said they saw a few cows flying by while they were in it, and were deposited about 5 miles away..... suviving it, which is one F-5 that I actually saw. The same F5 took one family's house , they found all of them scattered across the countryside dead, but could not find the baby. An Officer found the baby about 3 miles away, in a tree, still wrapped up .... crying .... and alive. Can you imagine the ride that baby had.

The problem with tornados here is, they are quite common.
    Yeah, it's totally freaky what they can do. Last weekend after the tornadoes tore into Alabama, two of my coworkers went down to Hamilton to help in recovery efforts. They took a picture of a house that had been totally shredded right down the middle, but the ends looked completely untouched.

-miklcolt45

The bus would turn into rust and ultimately be structurally unsound.
    HK. Because you suck. And we hate you.

Quote Originally Posted by HKCHEF View Post
    The bus would turn into rust and ultimately be structurally unsound.
    Good point. It could also easily become a nesting den for snakes or who knows what. Granger Plastics sells a shelter that's supposed to last 10,000 years or something like that.

-miklcolt45

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    A stainless steel shipping container would be much more sensible. I've seen them stacked about 6 high, and they can be loaded with about 55000# each (plus around 5000 for each container). That's a heck of a lot of wt on the bottom container.

(Such wts are not legal on the highways, so I never done it. Honest.)

We had one installed five years ago. It's identical to the slanted- top one pictured in the linked photo. Thank God we've never used it, but when storms are near, the door is open and we're ready to get in. It's a high-quality product. It took about three hours to install it, and it does increase the value of your property. The Secret service had 13 of them installed at Pres Bush's Crawford, Texas ranch. That was a great selling point for me. We use it as a root cellar during the winter months. For the cost, under $4000, I don't think it can be beat. Weighs about 18,000 lbs. Great feeling of security.

I've actually seen a double-wide mobile home with a finished basement beneath it. The owner had the basement dug, slabs poured and blocked in the walls. The mobile home was secured above it and a drop ceiling was suspended from the undercarriage. He turned one of the bedrooms upstairs into a den and ran a staircase through the closet floor. When he was done, it actually looked good. Just looking at it from the outside you couldn't tell there was a basement beneath it, but it gave him and his family additional living space and if a storm ever came through they had a place to go to ride it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    We had one installed five years ago. It's identical to the slanted- top one pictured in the linked photo. Thank God we've never used it, but when storms are near, the door is open and we're ready to get in. It's a high-quality product. It took about three hours to install it, and it does increase the value of your property. The Secret service had 13 of them installed at Pres Bush's Crawford, Texas ranch. That was a great selling point for me. We use it as a root cellar during the winter months. For the cost, under $4000, I don't think it can be beat. Weighs about 18,000 lbs. Great feeling of security.

Those look great, but I would need to find a company that's closer to me. They deliver for free within 50 miles and charge $2.50 per mile outside of that. I did the math using Google Maps and the delivery charge for me would be $2490.00. Ouch!

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by RockBottom View Post
    I've actually seen a double-wide mobile home with a finished basement beneath it. The owner had the basement dug, slabs poured and blocked in the walls. The mobile home was secured above it and a drop ceiling was suspended from the undercarriage. He turned one of the bedrooms upstairs into a den and ran a staircase through the closet floor. When he was done, it actually looked good. Just looking at it from the outside you couldn't tell there was a basement beneath it, but it gave him and his family additional living space and if a storm ever came through they had a place to go to ride it out.
    I live in a rancher with a crawl space, but no basement. I would be worried about digging underneath the house because it might harm the structural integrity, so I need to go strictly in the yard somewhere. I might consider one of the garage floor types, though.

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    I live in a rancher with a crawl space, but no basement. I would be worried about digging underneath the house because it might harm the structural integrity, so I need to go strictly in the yard somewhere. I might consider one of the garage floor types, though.
    I've got a crawl space under mine also but a lot of people live in manufactured housing. If I was going to do that in an area prone to tornadoes, I'd give the basement idea some consideration. In your case the yard approach is probably the best. When I was growing up, Civil Defense used to give the school kids plans for fallout shelters to take home to their parents. I know a couple of houses where the owners either built shelters or had them built. Quite a few of the older homes in Oak Ridge, TN have shelters.

Quote Originally Posted by RockBottom View Post
    I've got a crawl space under mine also but a lot of people live in manufactured housing. If I was going to do that in an area prone to tornadoes, I'd give the basement idea some consideration. In your case the yard approach is probably the best. When I was growing up, Civil Defense used to give the school kids plans for fallout shelters to take home to their parents. I know a couple of houses where the owners either built shelters or had them built. Quite a few of the older homes in Oak Ridge, TN have shelters.
    I work in Oak Ridge and it makes sense that they would, since that would have been a primary target for the Soviets.

I'll resolve this thing one way or another!

-miklcolt45

If your going to bury a metal structure of any kind you better coat (tar, bedliner) the hell out of it. Even stainless steel will rust if exposed to moisture often and long enough. Cement, fiberglass, and other sturdy plastics are ideal do to corrosion resistance.
    HK. Because you suck. And we hate you.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    I work in Oak Ridge and it makes sense that they would, since that would have been a primary target for the Soviets.

I'll resolve this thing one way or another!
    If you ever get a chance, take a look at some of those homes the government built on Outer Drive and around New York Avenue. Just about all of them were built with basements. The fallout shelters are mostly being used for extra storage or wine cellars now. I don't ever recall seeing one that was still stocked for its original purpose although I recall seeing one somewhere that still had an old container with Civil Defense markings in it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links