Let's talk about storm cellars/shelters

This is a discussion on Let's talk about storm cellars/shelters within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This isn't necessarily home "defense," per se, but this is probably the best sub-forum for it. After tornadoes swept through the area I'm from, Tuscaloosa, ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Let's talk about storm cellars/shelters

This isn't necessarily home "defense," per se, but this is probably the best sub-forum for it. After tornadoes swept through the area I'm from, Tuscaloosa, AL. and nearby, it started me to thinking. I now live in East Tennessee where very rarely is there a serious tornado threat. But the thing is, it only takes one....

So Wednesday before last, while the Southeast was getting ravaged, we had several tornado warnings with a few reports of one actually seen. It occurred to me that the only place I had to take my little boys in case it became real is the master bedroom closet. That's not good enough, so I've started seriously thinking about it. Shelters are extremely rare around here, by the way.

I've looked at this model:

FlatSafe Shelters

I can afford it, but I don't really "want" to spend the money, especially with the rarity of tornadoes around here (but again, it only takes one). I've also looked at some of those fiberglass pods and frankly, they look cheap. No offense to anyone who has one, but I don't think fiberglass is for me, although a hole in the ground is a hole in the ground in a pinch.

So what type of shelter solution(s) do you folks have? Basement? Fiberglass pod? Concrete shelter?

Also, I'll welcome any suggestions for making something economical. The one I linked above is $5325.00 installed. I really like it but I also wonder if it's overkill somewhat.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    This isn't necessarily home "defense," per se, but this is probably the best sub-forum for it. After tornadoes swept through the area I'm from, Tuscaloosa, AL. and nearby, it started me to thinking. I now live in East Tennessee where very rarely is there a serious tornado threat. But the thing is, it only takes one....

So Wednesday before last, while the Southeast was getting ravaged, we had several tornado warnings with a few reports of one actually seen. It occurred to me that the only place I had to take my little boys in case it became real is the master bedroom closet. That's not good enough, so I've started seriously thinking about it. Shelters are extremely rare around here, by the way.

I've looked at this model:

FlatSafe Shelters

I can afford it, but I don't really "want" to spend the money, especially with the rarity of tornadoes around here (but again, it only takes one). I've also looked at some of those fiberglass pods and frankly, they look cheap. No offense to anyone who has one, but I don't think fiberglass is for me, although a hole in the ground is a hole in the ground in a pinch.

So what type of shelter solution(s) do you folks have? Basement? Fiberglass pod? Concrete shelter?

Also, I'll welcome any suggestions for making something economical. The one I linked above is $5325.00 installed. I really like it but I also wonder if it's overkill somewhat.
    Honestly, You could build your own and save mad guap... I dont know what material to use, But digging a 10-15 deep whole 5 feet wide and 8 feet long should suffice. You could lay your own concrete or hire someone to.
    Chevyguy85 likes this.
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

Quote Originally Posted by guardmt View Post
    Honestly, You could build your own and save mad guap... I dont know what material to use, But digging a 10-15 deep whole 5 feet wide and 8 feet long should suffice. You could lay your own concrete or hire someone to.
    I'm thinking about it. I helped my dad build ours as a teenager. I didn't do the actual block-laying, but I doubt that it's rocket science. Since it'll be for my two boys and me, I could go smaller than that, maybe more like five by six feet.

-miklcolt45

i have lived in kansas my whole life, my parents have a basement and we never went in it for a storm, my house has no basement, if i'm up and it's stormin i listen to the radio, tv, internet and figure i should know it's comin, if i'm asleep and a tornado hits my house, well, i guess i will be dead and won't have to worry about the clean up, i'd say you could spend the $$$ on better stuff (generator and stuff for after the storm) just my 2 cents worth

y

Quote Originally Posted by paullie View Post
    i have lived in kansas my whole life, my parents have a basement and we never went in it for a storm, my house has no basement, if i'm up and it's stormin i listen to the radio, tv, internet and figure i should know it's comin, if i'm asleep and a tornado hits my house, well, i guess i will be dead and won't have to worry about the clean up, i'd say you could spend the $$$ on better stuff (generator and stuff for after the storm) just my 2 cents worth

y
    So are you saying that I should take my risks on surviving a tornado (and my sons) by just staying in the house, then hoping we're still alive to need a generator afterward?

No, thanks.

-miklcolt45

i'm sayin how would you get in the shelter in the tornado hits when you are sleepin? and if you are awake you can go elsewhere if needed what is the $$ of that shelter??

Administrator
    i'm sayin how would you get in the shelter in the tornado hits when you are sleepin? and if you are awake you can go elsewhere if needed what is the $$ of that shelter??
    We have RADAR, weather radios and sirens on this side of the Mississippi.

It is a lot of money, but I don't think you'd be able to duplicate the strength of one of those units your self. About the going smaller thing, remember, those boys might be small now, but they do grow in a hurry. I'd buy the largest I could afford.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I don't have a shelter, but my all brick house is built on a sloping lot, so at one end, I have a full sized door to walk into, and it gets progressively lower as I go towards the other end of the house, so I figure I could go under the house and far enough to need to crawl the rest of the way and at least be safer than just staying inside the house. Of course we don't get the cat 4 or 5 tornadoes which are sometimes seen in the midwest area.

I live in North Alabama.1st thing i did when i moved in was have a pod put in. Had cheaper options but its not about price when it comes time to protecting my wife and kids.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    It is a lot of money, but I don't think you'd be able to duplicate the strength of one of those units your self. About the going smaller thing, remember, those boys might be small now, but they do grow in a hurry. I'd buy the largest I could afford.
    I agree with SIXTO. The engineering and installation is worth a good bit.
    shooterX likes this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I've never lived I'm a house lacking a basement, but plenty of apartments. The next door neighbor had his chimney taken off one night by a tornado that I slept through, and we had no idea until the next day. If I'm not wrong, there are special radios you can leave turned on at all times that activate strictly when a severe weather alarm goes off, giving you some chance to seek shelter. I may look into that now that it has come up, hmm.

As far as shelter goes, my house is 130 years old, or so. Stone foundation and a cellar deep enough that if things went sideways and the kids and wife needed to get safe, I'd take them there for sure. But in the case that I became concerned about regular severe storms, I would need to get a subfloor built to block debris from landing on our heads if the main floor blew off!

VIP Member
    Every house I've owned has had a basement. They come in handy for many purposes. I'm thinking that my next (and final) home will also have a hidden vault in the basement, which (in addition to being my armory) will be ideal for this sort of thing, as well as serving as a 'panic room'. I'm thinking about separate ventilation and a dedicated generator for it.

If my home was on a slab, I'd definitely look into something like what is described here.
    Last edited by WHEC724; May 12th, 2011 at 08:47 AM.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    I'm thinking about it. I helped my dad build ours as a teenager. I didn't do the actual block-laying, but I doubt that it's rocket science. Since it'll be for my two boys and me, I could go smaller than that, maybe more like five by six feet.
    You would not save much by going smaller.

Ever hear of a weather radio? It comes on at whatever volume you last set it when there's a warning.

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by Phillep Harding View Post
    You would not save much by going smaller.
    Yeah, that's a good point and the savings might be a max of about 15% or so. I'm thinking about doing this. I'll need to look into having someone dig a hole for me, but there's also a concern about hitting a water vein and rendering the hole useless.

-miklcolt45

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links