Defensive Carry banner

Concealment at our pool.......need some ideas.

10K views 61 replies 54 participants last post by  high pockets 
#1 ·
Now that the warm weather is here, a problem for me has been being armed while at our pool and on our deck. If I don't bury a hand gun in a towel near me I am at a loss for an answer especially while in a bathing suit.....

Any Ideas......please.

#4 ·
Ziploc bag to protect the gun, maybe big enough you can grip it if you need to use it. As far as carrying concealed in a bathing suit, avoid speedo style suits for one. I don't know if anyone sells swim trunks with belt loops and maybe a water resistant belt and possilbly a IWB kydex holster of course you're probably not wearing a cover garment.. Are you going to be swimming or just showing off for the neighbors?

#5 ·
If you're not going to swim, a SmartCarry works very well under shorts and loose (not Speedo) swimsuits.

If you're likely to want to swim then a small fanny pack. This is easy to take off and on, provides some protection against splashes and spills, maintains concealment regardless of what happens to your towel, can be put back in after you get out of the pool with a wet swimsuit, it not obvious that it's concealing a gun, and provides at least a small obstacle between children/friends/et al and access to your gun. You can also carry your keys, etc. and if it has a ring for it a water bottle to enhance the disguise of this being your "purse" not your "holster".

#9 ·
Smart carry might be the way to go, trunks are usually loose enough or made with elastic that would make access to the gun easier. I've never tried one but some people swear by them. I have a condition which prevents me from seeing that as a viable option.

#14 ·
I'd stash a gun nearby. There must be some way to incorporate a stash spot in wood decking. Maybe mount a holster underneath one of the railings and throw a towel over the railing if it's just going to be you, or build a box around it without a bottom, so you can reach up into it. Stain it to match. You could probably put something on the underside of the right lounge chair, too.

#16 ·
How I do it is put my p3at in the pocket holster and then in a zip lock bag and drop it in my board shorts side pocket or front pocket and be done. Or i just dont bring it. I leave it in the car. I carry my knife everywhere and I dont need to carry at the pool or beach, I carry my benchmade lightweight 530 knife and leave the firearm in the car.

#21 ·
For comfort and discretion, go with a fanny pack.

Get something other than black and apply someone's logo to it.

Get your team's colors, anything that doesn't scream "GUN" to the uninitiated.

Mine happens to be black, but it has a large leather logo patch on the front.

This is really about not "offending" the neighbors while staying discreet and safe, isn't it?

#22 ·
I carried my 442 in my swimming trunk pocket around the beach all last summer, no problem. I've got a travel shaving kit bag that I keep my ipod, keys, etc. in while at the beach. If going for a swim, I put it in there. I always put up a canopy on the beach because I refuse to sit in the sun and bake like a piece of rotisery gold chicken. I put a cable lock through it and lock it to the canopy frame (up high in the center) while unattended and then zip the bag around it and cover with a towel. The kids can't reach it and it would take a little bit of obvious work for someone to snatch it and a little more work before they could use it. I don't venture far and keep an eye on our stuff. For the most part, it stays in my pocket. I thought long and hard about double zip lock bagging it and keeping it in my pocket while in the water...I might do that this year. Being an internal hammer revolver, I could actually fire it from inside the bag with no problem if it was big enough to allow me to get my finger in the guard.

#23 ·
How far away are your neighbors?

#26 ·
I agree with what another poster stated about a bioguard safe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.