Should you carry at home? - Page 2

Should you carry at home?

This is a discussion on Should you carry at home? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Chad Rogers I see the reality as being that since the old man's guard was down and he essentially allowed this man ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Should you carry at home?

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    I see the reality as being that since the old man's guard was down and he essentially allowed this man well into his personal space, the visitor could have just as easily jumped him hard by surprise, taken the gun and still dominated the situation. I don't necessarily see this as 'a gun would have saved the day' scenario.
    Your right. If the old man had a gun the situation possibly could have been worse. And it possibly could have not. As this is true with any scenario. But a 70s man being choked down until he is un-concious is lucky to be alive. Ill take my chances with the gun anyday.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

The same goes for me too
    Quote Originally Posted by jumpwing View Post
    I don't carry anywhere. I simply put the gun on when I get dressed in the morning and it follows me around the rest of the day.
    Retired (traveling and loving it!)
    Member NRA
    Served in U.S.A.F.(jet engine mechanic)
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Don't Leave Home Without It!

Yes. I stay armed at home unless I'm in the shower.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    I now carry full-time in my house & on my property. If I'm in the shower, I keep my pistol concealed (not saying how!) & within arms reach - my dogs will let me know if something's up. In bed, I have one firearm in a button safe within arms' reach, & another in a concealed location in the vicinity of the foot of the bed.

I've read far too many stories of people with firearms, sometimes multiples, at the ready but inaccessible during a fast changing situation. I opted to not shortchange myself of the very chance I had hoped to gain by obtaining my firearm in the first place.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

It kinda freaked my wife our at first but someone kicks in your door you don't have time to go and open the safe. €ven when I shower my 220 has it's own spot to relax on while I get clean.

Well I usually don't carry in my house but I know were my gun is at all times. and if some one knock at the door that I don't know my gun goes with me to the door. If I'm in the shower my wife won't answer the door if I'm there or if I'm not. And the door in lock plus I have two dogs and they will bark of they hear any noises. When I go to bed my gun in on the night stand right next to me and I have a 12 gauge pump load right under my bed all I have to is grab and pump it and it ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JDlewis View Post
    Well I usually don't carry in my house but I know were my gun is at all times. and if some one knock at the door that I don't know my gun goes with me to the door.
    Yeah, the guy in the original post knew where his guns were too. He had several. He just couldn't get to them when he was under assault.

And the guy at his door was someone he knew. A co-worker and presumed friend. Although he hadn't seen him in a few years, he still had no reason to feel he was a threat.

I used to be of the same mentality. I have a lot of guns, I know where they are and I really don't have a need to carry one on my person inside my house. That was something that changed a few years back after joining this forum. I now have a gun on my person anytime I am awake. Inside the home or even out in the yard. Sometimes it's my regular gun holstered on my belt, and sometimes nothing more than my Ruger LCP in my pocket, but I always have a gun on me when I'm awake.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Yeah, the guy in the original post knew where his guns were too. He had several. He just couldn't get to them when he was under assault.

And the guy at his door was someone he knew. A co-worker and presumed friend. Although he hadn't seen him in a few years, he still had no reason to feel he was a threat.

I used to be of the same mentality. I have a lot of guns, I know where they are and I really don't have a need to carry one on my person inside my house. That was something that changed a few years back after joining this forum. I now have a gun on my person anytime I am awake. Inside the home or even out in the yard. Sometimes it's my regular gun holstered on my belt, and sometimes nothing more than my Ruger LCP in my pocket, but I always have a gun on me when I'm awake.
    Yes I understand that. But even if someone did come to my door that I had not seen in 20 years I would probably have my gun on mine because I would not remember who he was when I first seen him. And I'm not saying there any thing wrong with carrying in the house not at all if I live in a bad part of town for sure I would. I do take it with me when I go for a walk with my wife or just me and my baby I have it on me any time out side the house. But with martial arts back ground I'm sure if some thing did go down I'm sure I could hurt him some way long enough to get my gun if that mean kicking him you know were. I'll do it. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    Always Carry,Never Tell!.
    kaboomkaboom likes this.

Most people call me paranoid but I am sure y'all hear it a lot also. I carry all the time period. Unless it breaks the law, I always carry. When I'm home my alarm is set. When I'm in the shower my gun is on the camode and my plastic knife is in the shower. My pit bull also deters most.... So I stay covered. Glad to hear your neighbor is ok. I hope he learned his lesson the "easy" way. Could have been worse.

It's in my pocket as I sit.

I get the feeling that I'm being paranoid but you never know what awaits you.

My sis don't like guns but I think she's getting used to me carrying. Right now I can only carry in my house and my car.

Becoming familar with your gun is as necessary as breathing if you carry a sidearm. Carrying at home, handling it, practice drawing, etc. everyday is the BEST way to learn your firearm (short of doing all this at the range.....live fire is live fire).

Having it at the ready when trouble come to your home is a bouns.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by paullie View Post
    100% of home invasions happen in the home!
    Quoted for truth!

My office is upstairs facing the street. The street deadends in front of my house. Nobody just shows up at the door unexpected. I don't have a gun on me all the time, but I have one available.

Perfect place for a pocket gun when you are walking around the house.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links