Going on vacation, tell my apartment manager?

This is a discussion on Going on vacation, tell my apartment manager? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I'm going on vacation here pretty soon. I'll be gone for about 9 days. Do you guys think it's a good idea to tell ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going on vacation, tell my apartment manager?

Going on vacation, tell my apartment manager?

So I'm going on vacation here pretty soon. I'll be gone for about 9 days. Do you guys think it's a good idea to tell the apartment manager? Anything else you suggest I do to prepare?
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

2. Remove Ads

Stop your mail and your newspaper. If you have a neighbor or friend that you trust, have them keep an eye on your apartment, and give them a key. Any guns should be removed or secured. Put a light or radio on a timer.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Why not, you just told the whole Internet. :D

Well I don't get a paper, and my mail comes to a community mail area with a locked box for each apartment. It's impossible for anyone but the mail deliverer to see if it's got anything in it. Also, no trusted friends in the area, I only moved up here 2 1/2 weeks ago. I'm definitely in a less-than-ideal situation as far as security. I am on the third floor though, so I feel like I'll be less of a target given the fact that I'm up two flights of stairs. I'll see if I can set my PC up to play music at certain times of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Why not, you just told the whole Internet. :D
    Yeah, but the whole internet doesn't know where I live.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

VIP Member
    I'm blessed with trustworthy neighbors on both sides, whom I usually ask to keep an eye on things for me. Before that I stopped the mail & newspaper, set timers on the lights and TV, and told nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    Yeah, but the whole internet doesn't know where I live.
    I wouldn't be so sure. You have quite an Internet presence that gets us close to where you live. I didn't try any public records searches, but we may be able to get more. If not, one of your 257 Facebook friends may give up the goods.

That being said, I would tell your apartment manager depending on the feeling you get about his or her character. The apartment owner trusts the manager to be responsible for an expensive property. You can probably do the same.

That way, at least somebody is watching over your place.
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

The "only" time I had a house burglarized (that I was renting) , was when I told the landlord I would be gone for a week. They weren't behind it, but they made comments around other people.... who informed some other people.

It so happen to occur, the day I came back... I opened the door to find all of my guns stacked in the living room.... among numerous other items, and the guy running out the back door.
    He got caught.... and all of the burglaries in the area stopped once he was in jail.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I would not. When I was robbed the complex had employees in my place the day before then the next day I was cleaned out with no forced entry visible. If I don't know you very well I don't trust you.
    HK. Because you suck. And we hate you.

I would check your lease. You may have a requirement to notify them if you will be gone over a certain number of days. There is usually liability attached to it. For example, one of my leases had such a clause; it was to cover things like leaks, etc. They said that if I was gone for an extended period without notifying them, and something started to leak and caused damage, I'd be liable, whereas if they knew I was gone, I would not be, etc. It may not matter to you either way, but I'd look. I'd also make sure you have good renters insurance (trip or not) incase a breakin ever did occur.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

Personally, I think the fewer people who know the better. At the risk of drifting afield from the OP, I'm amazed at the people who tweet their whereabouts or post travel plans on Facebook.

From pleaserobme.com, "The danger is publicly telling people where you are. This is because it leaves one place you're definitely not... home. So here we are; on one end we're leaving lights on when we're going on a holiday, and on the other we're telling everybody on the internet we're not home. It gets even worse if you have "friends" who want to colonize your house. That means they have to enter your address, to tell everyone where they are. Your address.. on the internet.. Now you know what to do when people reach for their phone as soon as they enter your home. That's right, slap them across the face."

As for landlords, maintenance workers or others who may have pass keys, I'd suggest laying some distinctive "props" or items laying in strategic places that might easily be moved if someone wanted to go through drawers or cabinets, and take a few photos with your cell phone before you go. Perhaps an ashtray with some change and a couple bills on the nightstand. You might also consider putting valuables in a backpack or small suitcase and securing it with a PacSafe.
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Quote Originally Posted by gruntingfrog View Post
    I wouldn't be so sure. You have quite an Internet presence that gets us close to where you live. I didn't try any public records searches, but we may be able to get more. If not, one of your 257 Facebook friends may give up the goods.
    Not to sound smug, but it probably get you close to where I used to live. I've moved in preparation for getting married and haven't changed Facebook or anything else to reflect that, because I knew I'd be gone for a long stretch. About the only people who know where I live are her immediate family, my immediate family and the company I work for. I also don't really know anyone in my new area, so anyplace online someone could gather that I'm away, there's no one in the area who would know to look there. No one in the complex but the manager knows even my name, so it'd be difficult for anyone around there to figure it out I think.

I'll check my lease agreement at lunch and see if it says anything about letting them know. I think I've figured out a way to set my PC up to play music at certain times. I'm actually going to see about having it play music one day, then a DVD the next and so on if I can.

I do drive a rather recognizable vehicle though, so it's possible for someone to put two and two together, but it's no more likely than me being broken into while I'm at work I think.
    My blog

Not to sound smug, but it probably get you close to where I used to live. I've moved in preparation for getting married and haven't changed Facebook or anything else to reflect that, because I knew I'd be gone for a long stretch. About the only people who know where I live are her immediate family, my immediate family and the company I work for. I also don't really know anyone in my new area, so anyplace online someone could gather that I'm away, there's no one in the area who would know to look there. No one in the complex but the manager knows even my name, so it'd be difficult for anyone around there to figure it out I think.

I'll check my lease agreement at lunch and see if it says anything about letting them know. I think I've figured out a way to set my PC up to play music at certain times. I'm actually going to see about having it play music one day, then a DVD the next and so on if I can.

I do drive a rather recognizable vehicle though, so it's possible for someone to put two and two together, but it's no more likely than me being broken into while I'm at work I think.
    I don't think you're being smug. These are actually legitimate mitigations to the security risk. Just don't get in the habit.

And yes, you're vehicle stands out a bit (IMHO it's SWEEEEEEEEEET).
    - Mike Tyson

I like my Jeep. The lady is pretty fond of it too. Matter of fact, I'm taking the top down early Saturday morning and am going to get it all clean and shiny, and it's going to be our getaway vehicle. Come to think of it though, there are at least 3 other big Jeeps in the area I park, oddly enough. Perhaps that'll help keep someone from recognizing that mine is missing if they don't pay a whole lot of attention normally.

Yeah I know there's still a risk, but I'm trying to mitigate those as much as possible. I have a feeling nothing will happen, but I'm a bit paranoid sometimes so I like to be sure. Honestly, if I thought I could get away with it I'd put a physical barrier like this against the door and climb down from the balcony, lol.
    My blog

Honestly, if I thought I could get away with it I'd put a physical barrier like this against the door and climb down from the balcony, lol.
    I thought this was you.

- Mike Tyson

My blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links