Pre-dawn stranger knocking on my front door

This is a discussion on Pre-dawn stranger knocking on my front door within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Yes we talked again about the nice decoy and the crew just out of sight, and how it's better to not have to shoot them ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Pre-dawn stranger knocking on my front door

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Yes we talked again about the nice decoy and the crew just out of sight, and how it's better to not have to shoot them out of the house. I got the sense that I was wasting my time. She did however call me earlier today and tell me she ignored two guys who pulled up with a lawn mower in their trailer and knocked on the door. If you saw my lawn you'd know why. Just as I was feeling like I'd gotten through to her, she tells me she ignored them because she didn't feel like turning them down since they were looking for work. Grrrrr.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    Some crazy fools are not detered by large dogs , despite what they are capable of.
    Until the dog is literally crushing their forearm in its jaws and then they have an epiphany!

I just recently bought a gun but even before that I had two signs on my front porch. One sign says "Property Protected by German Shepherd Dogs Inc". The second sign is just below the first sign and it says "Forget the dog...Beware of Owner!" and the reader is looking into the barrel of a handgun. Couple the signs with my dogs actually in the window frothing at the mouth and nobody is coming through my front door.

The question is, would she have been able to defend herself against a "push-in" home invasion? At 0530 was she fully awake and prepared to repel a group of attackers who wanted to shove their way in as soon as the door was opened?

Just because she had a pistol in her hand doesn't mean she couldn't be overpowered by two or more aggressors who were wide awake, wound tighter than an 8 day clock full of adrenaline, and ready to rock-n-roll as soon as a half asleep, and groggy home owner cracked open the door.

I'm glad it turned out okay, but people have to realize, just because you have a gun, doesn't mean jack if you are not prepared for a forced entry by armed felons. Or, even if they weren't armed.
    oakchas and Paladin3840 like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    In my house I am the only one allowed to actually open the door for situations like that. My wife and daughter do not. Human nature, being what it is has a natural tendancy to be curious and see what's going on.
    For safetys sake, I feel that answering the door to strangers is almost always a bad idea.
    In this world of cell phones and communication, if it's really an emergency, they don't need me or my family.
    Exactly the same thoughts here too. I've been preaching to my wife and FIL (84 yoa, lives with us) to not open the door. Too much Pavlov reaction on their part. I don't think my wife will do it, but I'm afraid that my FIL will instinctively rush to the door (so the people wouldn't be inconvenienced waiting), open it wide open, easily overpowered and all of a sudden I'm in for the fight of my life while I was taking an innocent shower.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by txshooter View Post
    I rarely ever answer my door. Unless it is one of my neighbors or it is someone that I am expecting such as a repairman, etc.

Most of the time it is someone selling something, especially young people. I don't waste my time with them. Other times, I don't know what they want and I don't care.
    Exactly. That's why my doormat says LEAVE instead of welcome. Unless I know you or asked you to come over, I'm not opening the door. My dogs barking is also a great deterrent.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Ah, the old "I need gas money" while talking on my cell phone trick. I wonder why they like to be on the phone? I actually did give a guy a few bucks once for that, even though it was a common ploy. He had a little girl about 6 years old with him. I hope she got some dinner out of it.

In my youth I more than once took a 5gal gas can across a field to help a lost traveler reach the nearest gas station, but never in the middle of the night or after dark even.

I would be grieved if my wife opened the door at 5am for anything, period. She will let unknown persons knock until they give up during daylight hours rather than risk a push-in. With two little kids on her heels, she frequently can't make the front door at all in the first place though, hehe.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by txshooter View Post
    I rarely ever answer my door. Unless it is one of my neighbors or it is someone that I am expecting such as a repairman, etc.

Most of the time it is someone selling something, especially young people. I don't waste my time with them. Other times, I don't know what they want and I don't care.
    I ALWAYS buy stuff from kids man, I remember having to sell that crap when I was a kid, for school or little league, or cub or boy scouts or something. I HATED it. Thats why I always buy, I usually throw it in the trash, but I buy it. In fact it aggravates me to see kids (and parents) now-a-days standing in front of stores asking for donations for some project, I won't give, but if they're selling something, I'll buy.
    But you really do need to speak with your wife about opening doors, no kidding!
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

My Ex... used to keep the door "open".... and sure enough, 1 day 3 men came walking in. One of them pinned her up against the wall as he was groping her and telling her what they were going to do to her......

I had 4 dogs. Her dog rounded the corner and clamped down on the guy's testicles..... and didn't let go. The other 3 dogs rounded the corner and his 2 buddies ran out the front door with all 3 of them in hot pursuit. The other guy ran out too..... with the dog still attached until he got to the door. Believe me, that was no small feat.

The police asked for a description later... and I told them to look for a guy showing up at the hospital with dog bite marks on his testicles.
    Lewis128 likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I never open the door unless hubby is home and even then he takes care of it if we answer it at all often times we do not.
    http://www.gunmerchantaccount.com
    Firearms Dealer Merchant Services

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links