Pre-dawn stranger knocking on my front door

This is a discussion on Pre-dawn stranger knocking on my front door within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Background: I live on a state highway with neighbors on one side, woods on the other, and a field across the street. I am in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Pre-dawn stranger knocking on my front door

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Pre-dawn stranger knocking on my front door

Background: I live on a state highway with neighbors on one side, woods on the other, and a field across the street. I am in a 55 MPH zone but about a half mile from a 35 MPH zone, which is a little village.

I was at work (24 hour shifts) Friday morning, when about 0530 my wife woke to the sound of our two dogs going nuts at the front door. She went to investigate, armed (H&K USP 40), and found a teenage male standing at the front door, knocking. His car was in the driveway. She opened the door and asked him what he wanted. Yes we have previously talked about NOT opening the door to strangers but what can I say she doesn't fully embrace complete security and has a soft heart for helping people. I love her for that and I doubt I can break her of it despite telling her of all the stories of home invasions that start this way. I will grant that there are probably thousands of innocent encounters for every invasion.

His story was that he was on his way to work, found himself short of gas, called his Mom who was on the phone with him at this time. Mom told Sonnie to go to people's houses and ask for money for gas. Wife said the kid looked scared scatless between having to beg money and hearing the dogs wanting to have him for breakfast.

She sent him on his way with $3 and directions to the nearest gas station. He promised to bring the money back yesterday and of course never showed. I was hoping he would, provided his story was legitimate, so I could school him on the dangers of going door to door before dawn asking for money. I really would like to talk to his idiot Mom for telling him to do that.

On a side note, when I was a child, we lived about a mile away on the same road, in a curve. About twice a year someone would come knocking at our door because they had failed the curve and struck a huge tree that sat perfectly placed at the fail spot of the curve. Seeing bloodies folks at my front door needing help, and my Aunt and Uncle being volunteer EMTs, are probably the two biggest influences that got me into EMS.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

Yep, that MUST have been his mom on the phone...
    By the way, I have a used car that I'm trying to sell...

Glad there was no problem...at least your wife was armed.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Remember IF you open that door all the thug has to do is get his foot between the door and the door jam. No matter how hard you try to slam the door shut, it is NOT going to close and your toast.
    You really need to have another talk with the wife.
    My wife and I will NOT open the door at all unless we know who is standing there. We always open a window and ask what they want with a firearm in our hand.
    In this day and age you can NOT be too careful!!
    The reason you have home invasion plans is to use them and not dismiss them when someone knocks at your door in the middle of the night. Even if it is a little old lady.

In my house I am the only one allowed to actually open the door for situations like that. My wife and daughter do not. Human nature, being what it is has a natural tendancy to be curious and see what's going on.
    For safetys sake, I feel that answering the door to strangers is almost always a bad idea.
    In this world of cell phones and communication, if it's really an emergency, they don't need me or my family.
    mwhartman likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I had a van pull into my driveway with a whole bunch of folks in it who started unloading their gear in my driveway at midnight!

I asked politely (with my .45 held behind my back) what they were doing. They started talking to me like we were friends and how long the trip was (WTH) and I asked them where they thought they were. Turns out they were looking for our neighbor across the street (we live way out in the country and our mailboxes are on the same side of the road) for a distant relative's graduation from Basic Training. I explained their boo boo and sent them on their way.

It was just weird how a van full of folks pulled up at midnight and acted like they were at home.
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

To the OP, glad everything turned out OK for your wife. I would be having another long talk with her if I were you! Even though she was armed, it isn't a good idea to open the door to strangers like that. The thought of my wife doing something like that scares the heck out of me! I bought security storm doors for both the front and back (ornate wrought iron looking) so that if need be, we can open the inner door but the storm door, with a dead bolt, remains closed and locked. You can talk through it, but nobody is going to get past it unless it is unlocked with a key. And I am always armed, besides.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

I had a loud knock at the door at around 2am one morning. I went to the door and yelled, "Who is it?" As it turns out he said it was my neighbor (behind). MY motion light in the back yard failed to turn off after some critter tripped them and the light was shining at his bedroom window. No drapes?

I opened the front door and I never saw such a rapid change from irritation to humor to fear. As I opened door he was about to rail about the lights, then he saw me in my underwear, then he saw the 870 in my other hand. Quite a roller coaster ride for him.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member
    Thank goodness it all worked out, except for the $3.
    Security storm doors +1
    Drapes +1
    Neighbors, please phone me before you come over at 2am.
    We can't open the door, because if one of the mastiffs gets his head in the crack, no one goes in or out.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

I rarely ever answer my door. Unless it is one of my neighbors or it is someone that I am expecting such as a repairman, etc.

Most of the time it is someone selling something, especially young people. I don't waste my time with them. Other times, I don't know what they want and I don't care.
    Glock, Colt, S&W,Beretta,ParaOrdnance
    Springfields, Browning, Keltec... to name a few.

TSRA, NRA, IDPA, IPSC, USPSA
    NRA Certified RSO and Instructor
    Certified CHL Instructor in Texas and Lousisiana

Not going to get into the answer or not debate, but as a side note, I have found in the past a great way to determine the validity of a honest plea for monetary amount or goods is to ask for their drivers license and tell them you will keep it until they return.

Their answer will tell the true tale.
    paullie and Bark'n like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I had a loud knock at the door at around 2am one morning. I went to the door and yelled, "Who is it?" As it turns out he said it was my neighbor (behind). MY motion light in the back yard failed to turn off after some critter tripped them and the light was shining at his bedroom window. No drapes?

I opened the front door and I never saw such a rapid change from irritation to humor to fear. As I opened door he was about to rail about the lights, then he saw me in my underwear, then he saw the 870 in my other hand. Quite a roller coaster ride for him.
    Hopefully he's a good neighbor (probably a BETTER neighbor now...) and you guys discussed it at your own Beer Summit.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

An amical conclusion was reached.

Cool

"As I opened door he was about to rail about the lights, then he saw me in my underwear, then he saw the 870 in my other hand. "

Wonder if it was the 870 or the sight of you in your underware that really was the deciding factor in his change of demeanor ?
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

A very good question.

VIP Member
    Lucky he didn't have a couple pals waiting in the shadows ready to pummel their way through the door.
    Then she's SOL.

Some crazy fools are not detered by large dogs , despite what they are capable of.

A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining and wants it back the minute it begins to rain. Mark Twain
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links