Our store got cased last night

This is a discussion on Our store got cased last night within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; We had a SUPER busy night at work last night. It was crazy in all possible ways! I was the manager in charge, but my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our store got cased last night

Our store got cased last night

We had a SUPER busy night at work last night. It was crazy in all possible ways!
    I was the manager in charge, but my GM was working as a delivery driver so he was around. Sometime around 8 he tells me to dump all the tills that there is a suspicious car cruising around the parking lot. The look in his eyes sent chills down my spine. I'll be perfectly honest there wasn't really that much cash money - most of our income is credit/debit cards. So if you're thinking about robbing a pizza joint I wouldn't recommend it.
    Anyways, we think that they noticed that he noticed them because they left.
    I was carrying (and usually am) but I figured it was somewhat safer in store than delivering pizza. I've had a couple of "orange" moments on deliveries, and now one in the store. Never let yer guard down!!!
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Glad nothing really bad went down. Good SA on the GM's part.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    Alertness saved a possible bad situation. This is why we always keep our eyes and ears open. Never get so tunnel visioned as to not pay attention to the things going on around you.

I am glad it all turned out alright.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

We get obviously cased a couple times a month. Being a music store, its common, but fortunately I don't carry any electronics. So, when I get that bad vibe and they ask about DJ gear, I always counter with a question about the gear and they of course can never answer it because its just a cover for them. My response is, "Yeah, we stopped carrying those when we stopped taking cash." (Yes we take cash but the majority really is cards) You just see their faces fall as its a waste of time. No break-ins or hold-ups in the 7 years I've been open. I am only one of 3 businesses out of 15 in the strip mall that has been spared, meanwhile the music store around the corner gets broken into about twice a year because of the electronics.
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    S&W 686 .357 4" Stainless Pre-lock
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 65 .22LR - 1968
    Remington Model 31 16ga - 1932
    Remington 1900 12ga - 1904

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    It's all about the alertness and awareness levels. It takes away the advantage of surprise.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    If most of your sales are credit cards, wouldn't you want a little cash in the til to satisfy the robbers? I would rather they take the green and run than shuffle us into the back room for show and tell or to off us for being stingy.

Did it never occur to you or the GM to LOCK THE DOORS and possibly depending on the perceived threat level call 911?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    If most of your sales are credit cards, wouldn't you want a little cash in the til to satisfy the robbers? I would rather they take the green and run than shuffle us into the back room for show and tell or to off us for being stingy.

Did it never occur to you or the GM to LOCK THE DOORS and possibly depending on the perceived threat level call 911?
    x2. I would leave some money in AND call 911
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    what about people who know nothing about electronics, would a music store carry car stereos speakers by chance?
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post

There's always $100/till and we have 3 tills. He said they could have the $300. I don't think the threat level was enough to kick the paying customers out, like I said they left right after that and didn't come back (we were watching).
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

It must not be a Pizza Hut they be so anti-gun it int funny
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Still, LOTS of drivers always carry and never tell.

Being at a franchise store is a little better if your direct boss doesn't care. Yes you'd still get fired if you had to shoot someone, but at least (IF your boss doesn't mind) you won't get fired for simply being prepared. The owner's two sons have their CPLs, so it's UNOFFICIALLY pretty pro-carry around our place. They may suspect that I carry, but they don't ask.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I worked for them for over three years, but after a coworker was robbed twice in a month, I decided my life wasn't worth greasy bread dough and tomato paste. A driver for a competitor was shot and killed soon after. They shot him in the street, left him for dead, and left the pizza and his money. He was a middle aged married guy and not a druggie; the perps just panicked and fled. Here's PH's policy in action; no idea if the driver in the lead story lost his job. I do wonder though; why would a manager leave his store (with a soda fountain that he can use for free) immediately after closing to go across the street to buy a soda? Things that make you go hmmmmmmm...
    Last edited by Retiredonce; May 24th, 2011 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Clarity
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved

VIP Member
    Good SA on all your parts. When we sit in the rocking chair all day, we can easily lose the edge. No more safe zones. No more safe times. Thanks for the reminder.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Great work all the way round!!

As you are fully aware Tala, you can't be too careful in any kind of retail business where you are open to the public and money is involved. It was good that the GM had noticed the suspicious activity. I'm glad nothing untoward happened.

One thing to consider and this is very difficult to approach when it's not your business or you have little say-so with day to day operations. But it's always better when security can be approached as a team effort. It's always good if all employees have some sort of formalized security minded protocols or procedures to go by. Otherwise, you have everyone looking out for themselves and sort of freelancing their security. It would be nice if concealed carry was encouraged in a retail environment. A majority of employers either don't want to address it, or are flat out against it. Very few see the advantages to having employee's who are lawful ccw holders. For example, if you are allowed to carry concealed, it would be helpful to you to know if others are also carrying concealed. If that is the case, some sort of security strategy needs to be worked out.

I'm glad nothing happened and everyone was on their toes. Certainly retail is a high risk endeavor and pizza shops who offer delivery service is at the top of the list. Stay on your toes, stay armed and stay safe.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links