Working Dogs for Home Defense

This is a discussion on Working Dogs for Home Defense within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Please allow me to preface my remarks that I am NOT a shill for the online community I am about to introduce you to. The ...

Thread: Working Dogs for Home Defense

Working Dogs for Home Defense

Please allow me to preface my remarks that I am NOT a shill for the online community I am about to introduce you to. The community in question is a forum, similar to this, for professionals and amateurs that are into working dogs. There are many police K9 officers on this forum as well as dog-sport enthusiasts and personal protection dog trainers and owners. Some of them advertise on the site but, mostly, it's just for people to talk about working dogs and some non-dog topics although politics and religion are forbidden as well as anything sleazy, provocative, etc. Additionally, if you visit the site, you'll find that 99% of the members (or so it seems) are VERY pro-gun.

Anyway, this is probably the best working dog forum on the internet. There are breeders and trainers of some very serious dogs. There are also a lot of good people there. If you are interested in learning more about working dogs I encourage you to check it out.

Working Dog Forum -- Discussion of Working Dogs, Training & Breeding

2. Remove Ads

By the way, I am posting a link to this forum for my friends over there. I'm positive they would enjoy and participate in some of the discussion here!

I am going to try and embed a short youtube video of my dog, being handled by me, attacking a decoy standing on top of an old car I used to own affectionately dubbed the "dogmobile". I realize this isn't "home defense" but the home-invasion scenarios I had were somehow destroyed. :(

Let me add that I wouldn't bring a dog to a gun fight. I have always loved dogs and enjoy their companionship. However, I like a dog that can be more than just a "pet". And, as a recreation, I enjoy training the right dog and building the dog to be able to attack and recall on command. I'm not talking about a junkyard dog. I am talking about a highly trained dog that is stable, clear-headed and can turn it on and turn it off. These types of dogs aren't the typical family dog. They are, in actuality, working dogs. I like having bite-trained dogs around, you know, the kind of dogs whose bite is actually worse that their bark. :) I live in a good but not ritzy neighborhood. I don't have enemies and I don't own anything of any value that would make any respectable burglar want to target my house. With that said, I don't worry about things that go "bump" in the night. :)

Anyway, here's the video and I hope the embed works. In case it doesn't I'm posting the link to the video. I hope you enjoy it and feel free to ask me any questions you might have!

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zOTUID_WaTM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

YouTube - &#x202a;PPD Jake GSD Attack on Car&#x202c;&rlm;

That's a lot of weight to gain all at once, especially with all those teeth attached to it. Some good training to get him to break on command, there are a lot of dogs you have to pull off once they connect.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    This is right up my alley as I love our German Boxers. One question that I have always wanted to know, is why are German dogs (breeds) so well known for this type of work? The list goes on and on. I just love this video.

YouTube - &#x202a;Schutzhund Boxer, Police K9, Working Boxer Dog,Deutscher Boxer&#x202c;&rlm;
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I know Teeth are teeth but our 3yr.old male GS will have you thinkin' twice......believe me.

VIP Member
    One of our Minpins just whelped two chocolates and a blue. The chocolate male, Bosco di Gama, is not allowed to express an opinion. I'll train them to attack shoelaces and bite ankles to trip up the BG.

Whelping is hard work.jpg
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Links