Calling 911 Doesn't Always Work - Stalker Killed By Victim (11/17/2007 Hessville, IN)

This is a discussion on Calling 911 Doesn't Always Work - Stalker Killed By Victim (11/17/2007 Hessville, IN) within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Some of you may have heard this 911 recording before, as it happened in November of 2007 in Indiana. A perpetrator named Ryan Lee Bergner ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Calling 911 Doesn't Always Work - Stalker Killed By Victim (11/17/2007 Hessville, IN)

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar

Calling 911 Doesn't Always Work - Stalker Killed By Victim (11/17/2007 Hessville, IN)

Some of you may have heard this 911 recording before, as it happened in November of 2007 in Indiana.

A perpetrator named Ryan Lee Bergner had been reported numerous times to the local police for stalking and harrassment of a woman who had spurned him. Despite these reports, he continues terrorizing this woman and during this call, he makes his last mistake.

The 911 call goes on for over 5 and a half minutes while the 911 operator tries to calm the victim...at one point telling her, while she cries for the police, that "it's only been 2 minutes (that was at the 4 minute mark).

This reinforces every gun owner's belief that they really have to depend on themselves.

LiveLeak.com - Armed Citizens: Calling 911 Doesn't Always Work
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

2. Remove Ads

She was lucky she was prepared, armed and willing to defend herself. One less dirtbag.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Berger went to the big McDonalds in the sky
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

"Criminal is breaking in? Remain calm, shoot criminal. Remain clam, shoot criminal. ..........................."
    TVJ likes this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

A very terrifying experience, but she's alive and he's not...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    -911, what's your emergency?
    Someone's trying to break in, but I have a gun.
    -Put the gun away until the police arrive!
    .....Bang!........
    I think he's dead.
    -Are you sure?
    .....Bang!........
    Yeah, I'm sure.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Odd (maybe not) that the 911 Operator provided no advice to the caller about trying to find cover and concealment (e.g. on the opposite side of the bed) and train the gun at the door; and should the attacker break through it, be ready to fire. I realize the Operator can't instruct the caller (victim) to shoot, but at least she could advise the caller to seek C&C and be prepared to shoot. A locked bedroom door offers only a few seconds of protection - nothing more. In this case, thank goodness the victim was able to shoot in the midst of a struggle with the attacker. More often, I would expect a different ending when allowing the attacker to get within arm's reach.

Does anyone know - did the 911 Operator follow proper protocol, or just fail to understand the situation? You can hear her conferring with another 911 Operator/Supervisor during the call.
    Semper Fi,

Sig P250C - 9mm/.40/.357/.45; Sig P250FS - 9mm; Sig P250SC - 9mm/.40; Sig P229R DAK - .40/.357/9mm; Sig SP2022 - .40/.357/9mm; Sig P238 - .380; Glock 19 Gen 4 - 9mm; Glock 30SF - .45; S&W Model 19 - .357 Magnum

911 is a joke. cops only come after the criminal has hurt you, killed you or stole from you and try and catch him later. defend yourself, no one else will.

Castle Rock v. Gonzales.... you have no constitutional right to police protection, even in the presence of a restraining order.

Protect yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Castle Rock v. Gonzales.... you have no constitutional right to police protection, even in the presence of a restraining order.

Protect yourself.
    Absolutely. Never rely or depend on someone else to do for you what you should and must be doing for yourself. This includes defending you and your loved ones, providing shelter, food, clothing, all the things you need to survive. No one owes you anything, not safety, security or happiness.

Protect yourself, the police will be there eventually to find out what happened. They can't be everywhere at all times.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by drb1611 View Post
    Odd (maybe not) that the 911 Operator provided no advice to the caller about trying to find cover and concealment (e.g. on the opposite side of the bed) and train the gun at the door; and should the attacker break through it, be ready to fire. I realize the Operator can't instruct the caller (victim) to shoot, but at least she could advise the caller to seek C&C and be prepared to shoot. A locked bedroom door offers only a few seconds of protection - nothing more. In this case, thank goodness the victim was able to shoot in the midst of a struggle with the attacker. More often, I would expect a different ending when allowing the attacker to get within arm's reach.

Does anyone know - did the 911 Operator follow proper protocol, or just fail to understand the situation? You can hear her conferring with another 911 Operator/Supervisor during the call.
    A 911 operator will not instruct you on how to defend yourself other than locking doors and trying to hide,most of them have 0 experience in firearms and or tactical training,IIRC they actually have a book they flip to for different types of emergencies,and literally start with question number 1 and go down the list
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    A 911 operator will not instruct you on how to defend yourself other than locking doors and trying to hide,most of them have 0 experience in firearms and or tactical training,IIRC they actually have a book they flip to for different types of emergencies,and literally start with question number 1 and go down the list
    But they will be the first ones to tell you to put the firearm away and to wait for the police to arrive. I've listened to a few 911 calls where this was done. My son was also listening and asked me what I would do. I explained to him that someone on the phone is not there to defend me--is not present to know the totality of circumstances--and the decision to defend myself (or the family) is retained by me alone--not a voice on the phone. That I would ignore the 911 operator's instructions in regards to what I will/will not do with my firearm, but that they should tell me when LEOs are arriving. Only then will I holster...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

A stark affirmation of the old adage, "When seconds count, the police are mere minutes away!"

Thankfully, this woman was prepared to take care of business on her own. Sadly, many women are not. Often times, with fatal results.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Actually, I'll take a different view on this....911 did work--they came and cleaned up the mess the BG made when he bled out on the victim's floor.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    -911, what's your emergency?
    Someone's trying to break in, but I have a gun.
    -Put the gun away until the police arrive!
    .....Bang!........
    I think he's dead.
    -Are you sure?
    .....Bang!........
    Yeah, I'm sure.
    Your comment reminded me of a scene in the Wesley Snipes movie, Blade - feel free to forward to the scene I'm referring to, between 1:55~2:36 (frying a fat vamp with a UV lamp):

http://YouTube - ‪Pearl the Fat Vamp...‬‏
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links