You awaken to intruders yelling. You shoot. It's EMS at the wrong address! (News)

You awaken to intruders yelling. You shoot. It's EMS at the wrong address! (News)

This is a discussion on You awaken to intruders yelling. You shoot. It's EMS at the wrong address! (News) within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Man Fires Shot After Ambulance Crew Enters Wrong Apartment - Pittsburgh News Story - WTAE Pittsburgh When they arrived, the building manager led them to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: You awaken to intruders yelling. You shoot. It's EMS at the wrong address! (News)

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Man Fires Shot After Ambulance Crew Enters Wrong Apartment - Pittsburgh News Story - WTAE Pittsburgh

When they arrived, the building manager led them to the apartment, but no one responded. Dispatchers gave the crew the go-ahead to enter the apartment, Nicotra reported.

Authorities said that the crew was making their way to the bedroom, the 85-year-old man who lives there was startled by their presence and grabbed a .32-caliber handgun.

The ambulance crew kept identifying themselves, but because the man had trouble hearing, he didn't know what they were saying and thought they were intruders.

The man fired a shot into the ceiling and the two crew members fell onto the floor. One of the medics ran out of the building, and fearing his partner had been shot, called police.
    Read more: Man Fires Shot After Ambulance Crew Enters Wrong Apartment - Pittsburgh News Story - WTAE Pittsburgh
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Police interviewed the 85-year-old man and determined no charges would be filed.
    BRAVO! Cool heads and common sense prevailed. "No charges Filed" Just as it should have ended. You know the older I get (I'm 55) the more scary the world gets. You've got to feel sorry for someone that old and hard of hearing waking up to that. Just glad no one hurt.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    In my humble opinion, I bet the responders will make sure they get the right address next time. They're lucky the old guy fired into the ceiling. So who wants to fault an old man with failing hearing who's been abruptly roused out of his sleep by persons unknown? Huh?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    ...who wants to fault an old man with failing hearing who's been abruptly roused out of his sleep by persons unknown? Huh?
    Anti-s. He owns a gun. He's guilty.

Could you imagine the fire fight had the EMS crew been armed.......

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattus Vir View Post
    Can you imagine the (one sided) fire fight that would have happened if they came in my house? : ) They'd have shouted EMS and I would have been thinking "Yeah, sure buddy". POW POW. With three intruders in my house I'd be slinging lead pretty quick.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattus Vir View Post
    The EMS crew seemed to understand that the old dude wasn't really understanding the situation. I would hope that even an armed EMS crew wouldn't be returning fire in that situation. They probably could've left immediately, but the old gent probably fired because they were yelling at him and not leaving. To him, that was a sign of an intruder, when in reality, the EMS crew wasn't leaving because they believed he was the one who required medical attention. AT least, that's how I'm understand the situation.
    PAcanis likes this.

Armed EMS crews? Where? What states? Just curious...
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Wow. So much for not knowing your target. Foolish.

Could have ended badly,sumpin tells me the old man is probably a WW2 vet
    Last edited by rstickle; May 27th, 2011 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Show a little respect!
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Was it for sure the EMS crews fault or was the wrong address given to dispatch? Maybe even the wrong address given during the call. It's a common thing to get the wrong address from people under stress.

Could have been a ton worse all around.

Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    None that I know of I was just refering to another post from earlier in the week over EMS being armed.

Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    Well, Missouri for one. No it's not the norm but I know those who do. There are no state statutes which forbid EMS from carrying guns on the ambulance. I have personally verified that with the director of the State Bureau of EMS.

However, it is a fact that most EMS employers have a policy against carrying weapons. But some services have no specific policies forbidding it either.

In some rural areas, I have worked for municipal EMS services where some of the part time EMS staff are full time LEO's in their main job, and they have carried when they worked on the ambulance as paramedics or EMT's with full blessing of the state bureau of EMS as well as the city employer. Some carried openly, others carried concealed.

I also suspect many EMS staff with ccw permits choose to carry concealed when on the job based on conversations I've had with my peers over the years.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    FWIW any time I have to walk into someone's house without their knowledge or consent, or even if I get a distant "It's open," I always loudly announce "PARAMEDICS DON"T SHOOT!!" Some of my partners think it's funny. I don't.

The situation posted is like an almost perfect storm of Murphy's Law.
    ---
    There is no law in VA prohibiting armed EMS. And while my employer has me over a barrel since I like my job and benefits, if I was still volunteering in EMS it wouldn't (and didn't) matter to me. What are they going to do, fire me?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Only thing I disagree with is that he fired into the ceiling of an apartment... If I lived above him, I'd request to be moved quickly. :)

Wow. So much for not knowing your target. Foolish.
    Really? Someone forces entry into your home and starts coming at you, what the heck are you gonna do?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links