What if scenario

This is a discussion on What if scenario within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by retsupt99 I think that you should immediately call the police and ask them to contact the coroner. my man...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: What if scenario

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I think that you should immediately call the police and ask them to contact the coroner.
    my man

2. Remove Ads

First I'd have to get the dogs off him, which is difficult since they do enjoy their chew-toys.
    FiremanPaul, Mjodr and Riana like this.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Your reasoning, if you'll pardon the expression, sounds like sheep-talk. And what's with the "obvious gang member" stuff?

I'm trying to think of a reason not to defend myself right then & there by pulling the trigger, & I'm not coming up with much. Plus, my dogs would've been all over his case!

Do not expect goodwill from garbage that'll break into your home in the first place. You let him go & He knows you likely won't use the firearm next time.
    Last edited by ArkhmAsylm; May 30th, 2011 at 12:15 PM.
    Mjodr likes this.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

If he's not obviously armed with a gun, I would just point my weapon on him as I call 911... or I'd get my baseball bat or battleaxe. I wouldn't follow if he left, though.

If he is obviously armed with a gun.. I'd probably shoot first and call 911 after I know he is out of the fight.

The third option is to sick my bunny on him.
    Riana likes this.
    Coming soon to a Montana near you!

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    Question: Is one legally required to call the police in that scenario? I realize that there has been a crime committed, and I also realize it may vary state to state.

Personally, I don't think there would be any retribution if you let him go. My feeling is to either 1) shoot him, in which case you have to deal with LE, or 2) just let him go and not call the police.

I only like to talk to cops when absolutely necessary.
    Not reporting a crime is illegal in many locales. Plus, if you didn't, you can't give a description to LEO... which means they wouldn't look for the guy... which means someone else may pay the price.
    Coming soon to a Montana near you!

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    Pow pow. Game over. I'll deal with any retribution when the time comes.
    + 1

Well....considering I'll more then likely have my 3 year old with me....I shoot. Iowa doesn't have castle doctrine, but if he's standing there and not running away, I think I can safely assume that I, as a 5'3" female, with a small child in tow, am in fear for my life, and the life of my daughter......

Gotta love disparity of force...makes us short chicks able to get away with more....hehehe.
    Riana likes this.

I guess you left out the part where he told you he was going to kill you.

What Gloves said. "Meaningful conversation".
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I would hold him and call the police. I'm not going to kill someone in cold blood and I'm not going to let him go to find another victim. If he or his buddies decide they want retribution, I'll deal with that scenario when the time comes.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I think that you should immediately call the police and ask them to contact the coroner.
    Living currently in central Florida I would've said the same thing. If his name is not on the lease and doesn't have a key to come in, then he has some serious problems on HIS hand.

I can assure you, the premise of this scenario is not going to be part of my thought process at the moment I encounter an intruder in my home. I'd be hard pressed to believe it would be anyone else's either.

If someone breaks into my house, I'm likely going to shoot him, take cover and scan for his associates while taking up a defensive position.

If for some strange twist of fate, I choose not to shoot him as soon as I have identified him as an intruder, I certainly won't be carrying on a conversation with him, listening to his pleas, or letting him go!

I will call the police and continue to hold him at gunpoint. I will have him proned out on the floor, with his head turned away so he can't look at me, and I will let him know that I will shoot him if he speaks to me or moves.

I will tell you, I don't like the idea of holding intruders at gunpoint and waiting for the police. It makes me too vulnerable to ambush if he has any accomplices I do not know about.

My state has castle doctrine. Normal people know it's not polite to break into peoples houses. There is less danger and threat to me if I engage and shoot any intruders into my home at first contact with them.

Again, my states castle doctrine clearly states that if anyone breaks into your home, it is safe to assume they are there to do you harm and lethal force response is authorized and I shall be held harmless. I make no apologies for that. It is a good law as far as I'm concerned.
    tkruf and WHEC724 like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Think of the hapless grandmother who has three deadbolts on the door, feels that if someone 'gets in' (past her bolts) they will kill her. She has one chance to stop the guy and is on the phone to 911 screaming 'he's trying to get in the window - THERE HE IS...HELLLLLPP...Bam, Bam, Bam (x4)...click, click, click (still trying to shoot a SA)'.

But I imagine that you, being a male and more or less calm and prepared are waiting for him (near ambush), have drawn down on him (not scrambling for a gun and trying not to tip your wheelchair over), and you can tell him in a cold, calculating way 'on the ground mofo...head turned away'.

It's the same scenario but depending on the heightened emotions and fear and desperation, or total absence of that and cold calculation it could even be deemed not a good shoot by you (say you're Harry Callahan and R. Lee Ermy rolled into one, pretty much as scary as any banger).

You HAVE to realize you must translate that fear to the cops in some way "I was afraid for my life, he said he was going to kill me - I saw a big scary guy climbing in my window and started having breathing problems. Next thing you know he was on the ground...I want a lawyer".

Just saying, sadly, the law, the courts the perps family/mother will all be siding with the Predator and against you. I think if you have dogs who will attack that's MUCH better than actually killing someone in almost cold blood (though by the book justified).

IANAL, and have never killed or shot anyone, I just don't know what to tell you, but am giving you a point of view where you can see how the deck is sometimes stacked against the victim.

If he is in my house in the middle of the night and I shoot him even if he is unarmed it is not a cold blooded shooting.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

I am not a LEO so I'm not "holding" anyone. If he doesn't immediately run away when I confront him I am trained to shoot. No questions or conversations need to be had. I have 2 toddlers and a wife. God forbid in my hesitation he grabs one and now I'm in a hostage situation. Intruders will be met with deadly force unless they run. Once cleared of the threat, 911 is immediately contacted.
    Bubbiesdad likes this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links