What if scenario - Page 3

What if scenario

This is a discussion on What if scenario within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; IMO Good scenario... Not at all far from possible. In some places maybe even probable. Well if I caught someone who is obviously a gang ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: What if scenario

IMO Good scenario... Not at all far from possible. In some places maybe even probable.

Well if I caught someone who is obviously a gang member burglerizing my home, and I got the drop on him... I'd hold hm and call 911. If he ran off I'd let him go and give a good description to the police. Otherwise I'd press charges against him.

My logic is as follows. If he pose no imediate threat to me and mine... I'm not going to commit murder. If I'm not the police I wont be chasing and trying to apprehend. I believe that criminals are no different than any other predator. Once they have a taste of your blood they will continue to feed untill they are put down. Once this individual and his associates know how to enter your home, and that there are valuables... they will be back. If they know that your armed it will not deter them... they will just come prepared.

My opinion is that they will come back to finish the job weather you have them arrested or not. By following up with the police, pressing charges and/or making a report with a description will secure a place for you as a victim. When these people return as I believe they will, they will again be looking for valuables not revenge. If and when they do returnyou can use deadly physical force if need be. Your case for self defense will be already made for you based on you being victimized by these same people in the past.

VIP Member
    Call the police. If you give him a free walk, all your doing is empowering him. He'll be back and so will his friends. They'll know they have a free ride at your house.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    IMO Good scenario... Not at all far from possible. In some places maybe even probable.

Well if I caught someone who is obviously a gang member burglerizing my home, and I got the drop on him... I'd hold hm and call 911. If he ran off I'd let him go and give a good description to the police. Otherwise I'd press charges against him.

My logic is as follows. If he pose no imediate threat to me and mine... I'm not going to commit murder. If I'm not the police I wont be chasing and trying to apprehend. I believe that criminals are no different than any other predator. Once they have a taste of your blood they will continue to feed untill they are put down. Once this individual and his associates know how to enter your home, and that there are valuables... they will be back. If they know that your armed it will not deter them... they will just come prepared.

My opinion is that they will come back to finish the job weather you have them arrested or not. By following up with the police, pressing charges and/or making a report with a description will secure a place for you as a victim. When these people return as I believe they will, they will again be looking for valuables not revenge. If and when they do returnyou can use deadly physical force if need be. Your case for self defense will be already made for you based on you being victimized by these same people in the past.
    With this logic he should be free to pick through your stuff as you watch until he feels the police might be close then leave. Since just taking your things is still no threat to you.

The fact that he is in your house is enough to be a threat and you shouldn't take it lightly.
    Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway.

John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick7340 View Post
    What is it that makes him an obvious gang member? There are wannabee thugs out there too.

Are you worried if you call the police they will harm the witness meaning you?

In this situation I shoot first and not ask questions because the time you take to debate yourself the "obvious" gang member will have a weapon pointed at you.
    There is no such thing as a "wannabe." Even if they have no "real" affiliation with a gang, they will be just as motivated to succeed in their crimes as any other criminal, gangbanger, or otherwise. Maybe even more motivated, since they might feel the need to improve their street cred in order to become a "real" gang member. Either way, they are all dangerous and will be treated as such.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Same state same laws and my reaction would be almost a duplicate to Bark'n. That in Bold is very good points in my book.

Hard to justify shooting someone walking or running off ignoring your command to stop and lay down.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I can assure you, the premise of this scenario is not going to be part of my thought process at the moment I encounter an intruder in my home. I'd be hard pressed to believe it would be anyone else's either.

If someone breaks into my house, I'm likely going to shoot him, take cover and scan for his associates while taking up a defensive position.

If for some strange twist of fate, I choose not to shoot him as soon as I have identified him as an intruder, I certainly won't be carrying on a conversation with him, listening to his pleas, or letting him go!

I will call the police and continue to hold him at gunpoint. I will have him proned out on the floor, with his head turned away so he can't look at me, and I will let him know that I will shoot him if he speaks to me or moves.

I will tell you, I don't like the idea of holding intruders at gunpoint and waiting for the police. It makes me too vulnerable to ambush if he has any accomplices I do not know about.

My state has castle doctrine. Normal people know it's not polite to break into peoples houses. There is less danger and threat to me if I engage and shoot any intruders into my home at first contact with them.

Again, my states castle doctrine clearly states that if anyone breaks into your home, it is safe to assume they are there to do you harm and lethal force response is authorized and I shall be held harmless. I make no apologies for that. It is a good law as far as I'm concerned.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

If he survives the canines that means he is armed(in my case).Shoot then call.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick7340 View Post
    With this logic he should be free to pick through your stuff as you watch until he feels the police might be close then leave. Since just taking your things is still no threat to you.

The fact that he is in your house is enough to be a threat and you shouldn't take it lightly.
    Read the entire post.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Cool

I didn't mean to mess up the carpet with him dad but he smelled like bacon.

photo.jpg
    click to enlarge....
    Riana likes this.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Read the entire post.
    I read the entire post. If you aren't willing to shoot an intruder the first time then odds are you won't the second time either. What will be the difference, a police report showing they were there the first time? If you have a mindset that shooting an intruder is murder and you don't see them as a threat then it doesn't matter if it's the first time or 10th time.
    Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway.

John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post
    You HAVE to realize you must translate that fear to the cops in some way "I was afraid for my life, he said he was going to kill me - I saw a big scary guy climbing in my window and started having breathing problems. Next thing you know he was on the ground...I want a lawyer".

Just saying, sadly, the law, the courts the perps family/mother will all be siding with the Predator and against you. I think if you have dogs who will attack that's MUCH better than actually killing someone in almost cold blood (though by the book justified).

IANAL, and have never killed or shot anyone, I just don't know what to tell you, but am giving you a point of view where you can see how the deck is sometimes stacked against the victim.
    Welcome to Missouri! In my state the perp is bought and paid for the minute he forces entry into your house. By law it is assumed he is there to harm you and you are totally justified in shooting him. The only criteria needed is he broke into your house. The castle doctrine is quite specific in that regard. I don't need to explain anything. Not that I couldn't articulate the reasoning behind my actions.

Definitely one should be certain they are on legal ground in their state. There are plenty of east coast states where you essentially have to flee your own home and try to escape before you can defend yourself. No so here in the Mid-West. We believe in freedom and the right to be safe in your own home. No silly games or hoops you have to jump through.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Maybe I interpreted the post different than you. I noted no unwillingness to shoot, if necessary, only an unwillingness to shoot someone who did not present a perceived threat to the individual.

Circumstances may be different between the first and second time.

I don't know that the police report would make any difference.

I don't shoot people who don't represent a specific threat, first time or 10th time.

What may represent a threat sufficient to justify lethal force to one person, may not represent that same threat to another person.
    Old School likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post

Under our law, the fact that he broke into your home and is standing in your living rooms means that you are in "immediate threat of death or grave harm." Period. It is not murder to defend your life against a deadly threat.

Thankfully, our state spells it out for you so in the heat of the moment, all doubt has been removed for you. Break into someones house, you are cleared to shoot them. Then the law goes one further and spells out that the scumbags family cannot sue you for shooting their thug relative.

It is not murder because the law says very clearly that it is not murder. It is justifiable self defense.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Cool

Florida "Castle Doctrine"

The Florida "Castle Doctrine" law basically does three things:

One: It establishes, in law, the presumption that a criminal who forcibly enters or intrudes into your home or occupied vehicle is there to cause death or great bodily harm, therefore a person may use any manner of force, including deadly force, against that person.

Two: It removes the "duty to retreat" if you are attacked in any place you have a right to be. You no longer have to turn your back on a criminal and try to run when attacked. Instead, you may stand your ground and fight back, meeting force with force, including deadly force, if you reasonably believe it is necessary to prevent death or great bodily harm to yourself or others. [This is an American right repeatedly recognized in Supreme Court gun cases.]

Three: It provides that persons using force authorized by law shall not be prosecuted for using such force.

It also prohibits criminals and their families from suing victims for injuring or killing the criminals who have attacked them.

The law gives you the right to use deadly force however it is up to you to determine if you will use deadly force. That I believe is all the others are saying. If you feel you need to use deadly force so be it.

You are the one who has to live with it.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

The law may give me the authority to use deadly force, but it does not make my decisions for me as to the necessity of that force, I make those decisions.
    They will be made based on circumstances and the threat I perceive. I will not shoot/kill someone just because I can.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    While I most likely would not shoot someone for just being in my house I will not wait for him to shoot me before I do. The laws of MO helps with that and I also like the fact that family can't come back on you for shooting their never did anything wrong, sweet and loving bundle of joy.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links