What if scenario

This is a discussion on What if scenario within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Call the police and tell them you have a dead man lying on your living room floor! He also has a knife in his dead ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: What if scenario

Call the police and tell them you have a dead man lying on your living room floor! He also has a knife in his dead hand.. Shoot twice in the head. and that's my story!!!!!!!

2. Remove Ads

Break in a home at night here in Texas will get you dead. No discussion needed.

I don't know that I would just tell him to leave. I would probably just shoot. When they undergo there career as a thief low life, they know deep down that there is a chance they might not make it to long. The answer in my opinion is, they would deffinatley come back ad try again or just kill you for catching them.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Maybe I interpreted the post different than you. I noted no unwillingness to shoot, if necessary, only an unwillingness to shoot someone who did not present a perceived threat to the individual.

Circumstances may be different between the first and second time.

I don't know that the police report would make any difference.

I don't shoot people who don't represent a specific threat, first time or 10th time.

What may represent a threat sufficient to justify lethal force to one person, may not represent that same threat to another person.
    How in the dark late at night in your living room can you tell he doesn't represent a specific threat? He has broken into your home he may not be alone and may or may not be armed. I am not going to hold him until his buddies get a drop on me or he sees an opening to make a move at me or for his weapon. Take him down, yes shoot and not to wound, then call 911 as my wife takes the kids to the safe room and locks the door until I give her the safe word.

I have at least a flashlight and a gun trained on him. A specific threat, to me is an identified threat, a weapon or other that would make him a threat. At this point he is a potential threat. If that changes, by any number of possibilities, to where he is an actual threat, he will be shot.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

In the dead of night, awaken by an intruder... You may have the benefit of knowing the layout of your home better than the intruder, but make no mistake the intruder has the advantage over you.

Trust me, the intruder is going to be wide awake with cat like reflexes. He's ready for anything. He's anxious and likely wound tighter than an eight day clock. He has likely already planned ahead on how he will deal with any encounter from the homeowner. His heart is racing and he can hear his pulse pounding in his ears as the adrenaline courses through his veins. Again, his reflexes are going to be lightning quick. If he's in a drugged state, with alcohol or meth or any number of other intoxicant's he's even more dangerous and unpredictable. And his mental capacity to rationalize is impaired by the intoxicants.

You on the other hand, went to bed none the wiser as to what was going to happen tonight. You went to bed just like you did the thousands of other nights without anything untoward happening (you have grown accustomed and are preconditioned to believe nothing will happen while you sleep). You are not expecting anything bad to happen. Being awaken from a sound sleep, you will almost certainly be groggy, and disoriented for a period of time. Depending on how sound a sleeper you are, and where you are in your dream state when startled, you may be disoriented for quite a long time. Your eyes may also not be accustomed to the dark. What if you don't have your glasses on or contacts in? You have no idea how many there are, or where they are in your house. You have no idea if they are already inside or still in the process of gaining entry. You have no idea if they are armed or not. You have no idea if they intend to kill you in your sleep or rob you and leave. And you will be having these thoughts running through you mind. You may be so ill prepared that you start to hyperventilate and or even flat out panic.

Trust me, it may be your home, but you are still at a disadvantage.

The legislators of my state understood that when they implemented the castle law doctrine in Missouri. They understand you're operating from a disadvantaged position. They knew you would be trying to process a lot of information and trying to gain your wits while you are all the while in imminent danger. What they did when they passed Castle Doctrine is to remove any doubt for the homeowner which may be running through their head while trying to assess the danger. Trying to figure out if the intruder is armed or not. Whether the intruder is using something he acquired from within your own home as a weapon or not. Whether you would be justified in shooting him or not, and whether it would come back on you if you in fact did shoot an unarmed person.

What Castle Doctrine does is level the playing field and helps make up for the disadvantage you are put in. It affirms for you that, If anyone forces entry into your home who is uninvited, you are free to assume that they intend to do violent harm against you and lethal force is justified solely on that basis alone. No need to verify more than one intruder, no need to verify if they have a weapon or not, or what type of weapon. You can assume, if someone breaks into your home, they are there to kill you and you can use lethal force, without repercussion in the eyes of the law. And to go one step further, you are free from prosecution and or free from civil litigation from the either the intruder or their family for any death or injuries suffered by the intruder.

Now as far as I'm concerned, it's about time, the laws reflect that, and it should be that way in every state of the land. I don't feel I'm executing them or have any moral conflict with shooting someone who breaks into my home. Nor would I feel any remorse if it turned out to be a drunk neighbor who mistook my home for his own. As far as I'm concerned, severe drunks who can not control themselves get away with too much bad behavior as it is. I have never, ever been so intoxicated as to make that kind of mistake, or tried to break in my own home because I was locked out. I expect the same out of others.

If I choose not to shoot an intruder, it's my option to do so. And I may make that choice based on the situation as it is unfolding before me. However, if I choose to shoot first and ask questions later, I don't feel I'm doing anything morally wrong. And I'm positive I'm not doing anything legally wrong. The only thing I will do before I shoot is to positively identify my target before shooting. I don't shoot through closed doors or without a positive identification they are a stranger/intruder. Too many loved ones are already killed from being mistaken as an intruder. I will positively ID before I shoot.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I am in agreement with that type of legislation and while it may give me some leeway, personally, it does not control my actions.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I am in agreement with that type of legislation and while it may give me some leeway, personally, it does not control my actions.
    I agree. And I too, will act according to how things unfold before me because that's the kind of guy I am. But my wife is disabled and can not move around as agile as most people. She is also home alone at any given hour of the day or night if I'm at work on an ambulance call. What I may do is certainly not what she is going to do.

The difference is, if I'm home, there's a distinct possibility the person will get shot. But, he may not. If the wife is home alone... I can pretty much assure that any intruder Is Getting Shot!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Agree completely with that.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    kind of an old thread, but i do need some info from him:

--his type do not usually travel alone, where are the other 2?

while he is deciding to talk to me ( he will) he has his hands so deep down the front of his pants he can, perhaps for the 1st time in his life, tie his sneakers. I'm cool with his hands cause Ive rolled him and with the fireplace tools rather given him a not to light once over.

i have to keep his attention ( friends may be outside but (by the scenario)) he is alone inside. I'm for sure gonna have him telling me about his mates cause people like to talk to me...

I'm gonna take my 642 out of my left pocket and one handed remove 4 of the shells. give it a spin ( i can do this and if i am wrong....my bad) and as i ask him again about his friends he is looking at his life perhaps get short...im guessing that he sees the cartage but doesn't know which way a smith advances.

I'm thinking I'm having more fun than i really should be allowed to.

last act----as i believe in doing unto others before they can do to me, and as i am sure this dude likes never, never ever wants to see me again, and cause i hate cleaning up messes ( and forensics will be quite messy), he is so gonna agree with me on leaving ( perhaps the entire state) that his going will be a goodness for us both.

did i mention i like to collect things? like belts, jewelery, gold teeth, earrings (with or without the ears...),footwear, even jockeys. eclectic, yes?
    Riana likes this.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

One of the most bizarre posts I have read.
    Bark'n likes this.

lol, thank you, i think...

if they fear you, they will not want to be near you again.
    works for me.
    and he'll tell his friends he crazy, best leave him alone
    again, works for me.
    -------------------

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    kind of an old thread, but i do need some info from him:

--his type do not usually travel alone, where are the other 2?

while he is deciding to talk to me ( he will) he has his hands so deep down the front of his pants he can, perhaps for the 1st time in his life, tie his sneakers. I'm cool with his hands cause Ive rolled him and with the fireplace tools rather given him a not to light once over.

i have to keep his attention ( friends may be outside but (by the scenario)) he is alone inside. I'm for sure gonna have him telling me about his mates cause people like to talk to me...

I'm gonna take my 642 out of my left pocket and one handed remove 4 of the shells. give it a spin ( i can do this and if i am wrong....my bad) and as i ask him again about his friends he is looking at his life perhaps get short...im guessing that he sees the cartage but doesn't know which way a smith advances.

I'm thinking I'm having more fun than i really should be allowed to.

last act----as i believe in doing unto others before they can do to me, and as i am sure this dude likes never, never ever wants to see me again, and cause i hate cleaning up messes ( and forensics will be quite messy), he is so gonna agree with me on leaving ( perhaps the entire state) that his going will be a goodness for us both.

did i mention i like to collect things? like belts, jewelery, gold teeth, earrings (with or without the ears...),footwear, even jockeys. eclectic, yes?
    You're kidding, right?
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

You're kidding, right?

of course im kidding. id just discover him standing in my house and shoot him out of hand.
    thats what every one else seems to be wanting to do...sheesh.

poor boy breaks into your home and you all just gonna shoot him dead.
    no object lesson, no finding out why he is there--just kill him and call the police.

right, of course, how silly of me.

----->ok ua got me, i would not pull any teeth out
    -------------------

You might want to speak with one of your neighbors over in Cheshire. Dr. William Petit come to mind?

Connecticut massacre: Father's agony as court is shown harrowing pictures of scene of wife and daughters' murders

This may have been one of the most sensationalized cases in recent years because of it's disturbing heinousness, but it is hardly an isolated incident either.

Castle Doctrine laws does not say one has to shoot intruders. But it does recognize that a person in their home has every legal right to do so, without asking questions and is free to make the assumption that any intruder into your locked home is there to harm or kill you.

As I have said earlier, I may not shoot immediately based on the situation at hand. But also, based on the situation at hand, I may shoot first and ask questions later.

The one thing I will guarantee, is that I will at least make positive ID the person does not belong in my home before shooting. I am ever vigilant of not wanting to be involved in a case of mistaken identity, and accidentally shooting a loved one.

But the bottom line, in my state, people who break into houses are fair game, and I don't have a moral dilemma over that. I will evaluate things as I see fit. But it remains, that evaluation process may be very short lived.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links