What if scenario

What if scenario

This is a discussion on What if scenario within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I would like your opinion. Here is the scenario: You are at home. Someone breaks in. You catch him say in your living room. An ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: What if scenario

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

What if scenario

I would like your opinion. Here is the scenario:

You are at home. Someone breaks in. You catch him say in your living room. An obvious gang member trying to steal stuff. Of course you confront him armed. Realizing that should you involve the police, there may be retribution, you tell him to just leave.

The question is, do you think he would just leave and leave you alone or would there be a "repeat action" of some sort?
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

I think there would be a "repeat action" of some sort!
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

sgb
    I think NOT calling the police would be a VERY STUPID idea.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

You have dissed him by catching him, the possibility of future action is likely.
    Involve the police and have some meaningful communication with him before they arrive.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

You are so lucky! You get to choose what you prepare for next. Either you prepare for repeated visits since you are an easy mark and they know you are scared to call the police OR, maybe you get a follow up visit for turning in one of their associates.

The trick is to make a clearly understood statement in your actions that lets them know that any follow up visitors may incur damages beyond repair. Very painful damages. Not recommending a head on a spear in the front yard but some response that will make even the thickest of deviants stop and reflect.

Guantes; NC Bullseye......WOW! You guys can talk to the dead!!!

I live in rural Missouri, 1600+ feet off the county road, I have the legal right to confront trespassers armed (and ignoring the "NO TRESPASSING" sign is criminal trespass in the first degree) and castle doctrine extends to the property line, any additional armed visit by gangstas will be met appropriately! In case of a night time visit I have an AR with a 3rd gen Russian military night scope with integrated infer-red illuminater.

What is it that makes him an obvious gang member? There are wannabee thugs out there too.

Are you worried if you call the police they will harm the witness meaning you?

In this situation I shoot first and not ask questions because the time you take to debate yourself the "obvious" gang member will have a weapon pointed at you.
    Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway.

John Wayne

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Pow pow. Game over. I'll deal with any retribution when the time comes.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    You have dissed him by catching him, the possibility of future action is likely.
    Involve the police and have some meaningful communication with him before they arrive.
    +1 to involving police. I assume the BG won't wait for LEOs, and you won't shoot if he's trying to leave, so you won't have much time to "communicate."
    "A man's got to know his limitations." Inspector Harry Callahan

Quote Originally Posted by e4dan View Post
    +1 to involving police. I assume the BG won't wait for LEOs, and you won't shoot if he's trying to leave, so you won't have much time to "communicate."
    The probability of escape by a suspect is greatly reduced by two things. Proper interaction on first contact and putting them in a position that makes escape somewhere between very difficult and impossible. That will leave further time for in depth communication.
    WHEC724 likes this.

Question: Is one legally required to call the police in that scenario? I realize that there has been a crime committed, and I also realize it may vary state to state.

Personally, I don't think there would be any retribution if you let him go. My feeling is to either 1) shoot him, in which case you have to deal with LE, or 2) just let him go and not call the police.

I only like to talk to cops when absolutely necessary.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Let him go and hope he would leave you alone?That would be depending on the charity and good will of a criminal.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    Shoot the SOB then dial 911.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.stuart View Post
    Let him go and hope he would leave you alone?That would be depending on the charity and good will of a criminal.
    Indeed. Not only is he a criminal but a gang banger, which then brings in cred, reputation, pride, etc into the picture.

I think that you should immediately call the police and ask them to contact the coroner.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links