Going to Italy and Greece Yikes

This is a discussion on Going to Italy and Greece Yikes within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So my wife is in Italy now for a internship for 2.5 months I am flying out to Athens Greece to meet her for a ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Rock and Glock
  • 1 Post By cammo

Thread: Going to Italy and Greece Yikes

So my wife is in Italy now for a internship for 2.5 months I am flying out to Athens Greece to meet her for a mini vacation in Greece and then going around Italy after and flying out of Rome. So obviously I cannot have any Guns or knifes from what I read pretty much leave every kind of weapon at home. I am not checking any bags just carry on. Plus if you put anything of value in a checked bag its likely not to be there when you get there. So the only thing I am bringing is my Surefire E1B and some spare batt. Which should not be a problem since that is what I gave her for the trip.

Any other suggestions or thoughts are welcome. Anyone every travel out of the country?

I carried a Cold Steel City stick all over Germany, France the UK and never got looked at twice.

Look here: City Stick : Walking Sticks (Cold Steel)

TSA cared less, no security looked twice, and I gained admission to several notable museums in record time. I even had old women offer up their train seats or me.
    paullie likes this.

Try not to let worries about personal safety destroy your trip. Just keep your SA up, pay attention to that little voice inside, and enjoy those two GORGEOUS countries.

The Mediterranean countries are amazing. Eat some really good food. Walk on cobblestone streets that are older than our country. Bask in the shadow of buildings that have survived hundreds, or in some cases, thousands of years.

Man, I need to get back there soon.
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

This is my first time leaving the country I am not sure what to expect. Someone told me the police in Italy walk around with M-16's. Plus I will be leaving my kids who I will miss greatly I know its only a week but this is gonna be the longest and farthest I have ever been away from them.

Quote Originally Posted by ssmtbracer View Post
    This is my first time leaving the country I am not sure what to expect. Someone told me the police in Italy walk around with M-16's. Plus I will be leaving my kids who I will miss greatly I know its only a week but this is gonna be the longest and farthest I have ever been away from them.
    Relax and see the sights. You are fortunate to have the opportunity.

Distinguished Member
    One small suggestion is to bring a few photo copies of passport/drivers lisc/credit card. Keep them in an alternate place in case of theft. I imagine that it would be easier to replace if you have the numbers handy.

The police in Italy are eye-opening. They move judges and other authorities around the city in lit up convoys much like we move the president here. Its to protect them from the crime figures they are working to erradicate. Or so I heard anyways. It's quite a show.

Learn to look past all the trash, it's just their thing. Try the freshly squeezed orange juice and the paninis. If you speak any spanish, that can be helpful. Bring a nice casual suit jacket and real leather shoes - people are really dressed up there (by our american standards) to do everyday things. I felt like a real touristy slouch until I punched up the wardrobe a little bit.

These are just my quick reflections. Enjoy.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Bring a nice casual suit jacket and real leather shoes - people are really dressed up there (by our american standards) to do everyday things. I felt like a real touristy slouch until I punched up the wardrobe a little bit.
    Great recommendations, avoid tennis shoes and fanny packs. The mark of tourists.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Great recommendations, avoid tennis shoes and fanny packs. The mark of tourists.

I used to travel a lot and not as a tourist a few years back. When I first started to travel for my company I was really imagining all kinds of things about what was going on in other countries. I never wondered why in the States you are allowed to carry and in other countries people are not allowed to do so. After I got there I asked around and people said that there were indeed, just like in any other country, pocket thieves and other thieves but it is unlikely that you would be shot in the street. They also said" Anyway, as long as you don't look like a tourist, you won't be mugged!" I understood that only later on when I paid more attention to the people there. They take care of how they dress! unlike us! if you look around, you can spot Americans immediately by T shirts and sunglasses, and bottles of water and sport shoes. indeed the Italian police, Carabinieri, carry big guns and walk on streets among people without any problem. Their name means people that carry shotguns. So what would you expect? But if Italians scare you, you should see Turkey!

Excellent advise above.

Keep your up your SA and back away from any older women or kids approaching you with flowers or bits of green tree twigs.

Your biggest problem will be Pickpockets or purse snatchers ... ESPECIALLY ... in Rome.

Your wife should keep her purse across her shoulders and in front of her.

Even when seated, she should keep her purse around her shoulders and in her lap.

Do not let others get close to you ... i.e. trolleys and subways. Do not look like a tourist.

Carry a collapsible umbrella and be ready to swing it if someone gets to close or pushy.

In general Europeans are a bunch of Sheep.

The one thing a petty Criminal is not used to is someone who will fight back.

YELL 'Get Away' in English ... or 'Vada Via' in Italian

A professional Criminal will not back down so just rely on your SA.

VIP Member
    I've not been to Greece, but have spent time in Italy. If you are driving and get pulled over it is probably a document check - no big deal. If the cops have a little round sign on a stick and waive it a you from the side of the road, pull over. You will not outrun the radio.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmtbracer View Post
    So my wife is in Italy now for a internship for 2.5 months I am flying out to Athens Greece to meet her for a mini vacation in Greece and then going around Italy after and flying out of Rome. So obviously I cannot have any Guns or knifes from what I read pretty much leave every kind of weapon at home. I am not checking any bags just carry on. Plus if you put anything of value in a checked bag its likely not to be there when you get there. So the only thing I am bringing is my Surefire E1B and some spare batt. Which should not be a problem since that is what I gave her for the trip.

Any other suggestions or thoughts are welcome. Anyone every travel out of the country?
    Same here. All we can do is make something of what we are legally allowed to carry. Every port visit to a country or any flight outside of state, I carry my Surefire 6P Defender with me.

You appear to be going no matter what. Just eat you way out of this! Enjoy real food and drink. SA is of course expected.
    " The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer." Henry Kissenger

I traveled all over Italy and France with a spyderco endura in my pocket. Never had to use it, but it felt nice having it.

I have been to both. Last year I went to Crete Greece. Carried a pocket knife with me (it was in my checked baggage rolled up inside my socks). Never had a problem...

Links