Driveway alarm which one to buy

This is a discussion on Driveway alarm which one to buy within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; hey, i am new to this forum, i live out in the country in south dakota off a fairly busy highway and the problem that ...

Thread: Driveway alarm which one to buy

hey, i am new to this forum, i live out in the country in south dakota off a fairly busy highway and the problem that i am having is that i cannot hear people pulling into my driveway and just feel very unprepared when someone is knocking on the door or ringing the doorbell if i didnt know they pulled in. i have been looking at some of the wireless alarms that go off when a car drives in, but i am not sure which one is good it seems like they all have good and bad reviews so some insight or personal experience with these

Thanks

I bought one from the place I work its a simple hose and bell one that most all your service stations and shops use cheap and only have to replace hose every few years.
    IGNORANT=NEEDS EDUCATION

STUPID=WELL YOU CANT FIX THEM ALL

I have used some of the less expensive wireless ones and they just don't last too long, something wired would probably work better

I've had three sets of "The Reporter" wireless devices. They work pretty well, and two of the three have lasted several years in our high desert environment. I've set all three wireless motion sensors to report to all three indoor base stations. You get one, two or three buzzes depending on which motion sensor is triggered. But be careful when you register the sensors with the base stations: once registered there's no way to undo it.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

sgb
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I find the smaller model here to do a pretty good job...
    1242777765168.jpg
    "Legitimate use of violence can only be that which is required in self-defense."
    Ron Paul.

If you live out in the sticks, you've GOT to have dogs. It's a basic requirement.

We have a relatively cheap wireless drive alarm from the feed store, and it works fine for us (the reviews are hit or miss) but it's only a year old so who knows how long lasting it will be.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Quote Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
    I find the smaller model here to do a pretty good job...
    1242777765168.jpg
    +1 My dogs always let us know when we have a visitor and they are inside dogs

I got a Harbor Freight sensor,think it was around 15.00 I mounted it to a tree aimed back at the house since I live in a housing area,it only picks up movement between the alarm and the house,if it beeps It's either a 4 legged or 2 legged critter,gives ma about 20 seconds warning,I really need to find my no trespassing sign I bought last year and mount it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I do have a dog that is an outside dog but doesn't bark when people pull in, she just runs up to greet them she is a German short hair, and i think if i put one that wasn't wireless it would get messed up when scooping snow and the dog would probably eat that hose that runs across because she eats everything else ha ha.

I've got a MURS unit that I bought from Dakota Alert about six years ago. The infra red one didn't work well. I could never seem to get it aimed where either the sun or the nearby RR tracks weren't setting it off, if it went off at all, but the magnetic probe sensor one is great. And since, I've even had my driveway concreted and it still works like a charm at the same sensitivity setting. One of the best features is the handheld receiver you can carry around with you. It doubles as a walkie-talkie with the base unit, too. It does seem to be going through more batteries lately, about 2-3 times a year instead of 1-2, but I'll keep it until it dies and then replace it with the same thing if they still make them. Great customer service, too. I'm sure you can Google them.

Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1k View Post
    I do have a dog that is an outside dog but doesn't bark when people pull in, she just runs up to greet them she is a German short hair, and i think if i put one that wasn't wireless it would get messed up when scooping snow and the dog would probably eat that hose that runs across because she eats everything else ha ha.
    Wow, even my silly Lab-o-mix barks, and he too would be bringing them a ball to throw for him. He even barks when I pull up, but you can tell it's his happy/excited bark. He also has a "somebody's here" bark and a "something's WRONG" bark. One of my favorite things about dogs is how much feedback you can get from them about a person or situation, if you know their reactions well-enough.

You could always bury the wire. Doesn't have to be super-deep.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

I have been using a driveway alarm for many years, it is the wireless type but the buzz from the base receiver wasn't very loud. It had a Normally Open relay connector that I wired to our doorbell. It has about a 1 second hold time so the doorbell sounds different when it's a car versus a human pressing the button.

It can be tripped by animals so I wired a disconnect switch in case my horse decides to graze next to the sensor or I am mowing.

If you are handy you can wire up your own motion sensor to activate something in your house.

It looks just like this one Reporter Wireless Driveway Alert System - Smarthome

Quote Originally Posted by wolf88 View Post
    I bought one from the place I work its a simple hose and bell one that most all your service stations and shops use cheap and only have to replace hose every few years.
    When I was growing up my dad had a gas station and we had this kind at the pumps. If I was to put one on my drive way I would feel impelled to run out and wash their windshield and check the tires

Links