Speaking of a storm shelter...

Speaking of a storm shelter...

This is a discussion on Speaking of a storm shelter... within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well I need some ideas from people who tend to think like me. I have a storm shelter being installed in a couple of days ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speaking of a storm shelter...

Talking Speaking of a storm shelter...

Well I need some ideas from people who tend to think like me. I have a storm shelter being installed in a couple of days that's not too big but it can hold 10 people and there is only my wife myself and our 1 year old that will be in it most the time. My wife is super excited and she is kind of a preper like myself. We were just looking for some ideas of stuff to keep in there. I know the basics like water, food, etc. But what about little things that could be useful. Mabey spare ammo just in case there is a severe civil unrest situation after a natural disaster. So bring them on!

My goodness, there is SO MUCH...
    Water, water purification, rainwater collection means, food, means of cooking plus fuel, advanced first aid kit, medications (Rx and OTC like Advil), sanitation equipment and means of handling body wastes (including 'feminine hygiene' products), flashlights and batteries, radio, other communication gear, extra clothing and a means to launder clothing, bedding, temporary shelter materials (tarps and/or heavy plastic sheeting plus rope), knives, saws, basic hand tools... just for starters!

Think about how long you might ever have to occupy your shelter, then provision it for twice that long.
    Last edited by gasmitty; June 17th, 2011 at 09:14 AM.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    get a script for penicillin from ur doc....mine understands me
    periscope, secluded back door, hopefully with a stream near it
    lime and a pit for the...you got a baby, figure that one out is easy.
    CB and shortwave crank and battery powered. mini 9" laptop for diary & games. cards, backgammon...
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    My goodness, there is SO MUCH...
    Water, water purification, rainwater collection means, food, means of cooking plus fuel, advanced first aid kit, medications (Rx and OTC like Advil), sanitation equipment and means of handling body wastes (including 'feminine hygiene' products), flashlights and batteries, radio, other communication gear, extra clothing and a means to launder clothing, bedding, temporary shelter materials (tarps and/or heavy plastic sheeting plus rope), knives, saws, basic hand tools... just for starters!

Think about how long you might ever have to occupy your shelter, then provision is for twice that long.
    Lots of good suggestions, the only other things might be freeze-dried food (long shelf life and just hot water to prepare), water-purifying tablets, extra fuel such as Sterno for cooking, space blankets and candles, the list could go on but access your families needs and prepare for all climatic conditions also.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Radio for information (NOAA radio too) and maybe a CB to comunicate if cell towers down

A 22 riffel & a brick or 2 ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

How about a hand held ham radio so you can talk more than CB range? Batteries and led flashlights, tools, generator, gas, beer, some more beer.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys these are all great ideas. I plan on storing some c-rations and water for sure. I have a hand crank radio light combo that will be going in there also. I have a spare tactical light I geuss can go in there with some extra batteries and a stove is for sure. Clothing was a good idea and I have a weather radio for there anyways. Any other things I am missing. When this is installed the installer puts the gps coordinance in the system so the emts and police no were it is even if the streets and signs are gone.

VIP Member
    Some ponchos would be handy, besides raingear they can be used as an emergency shelter and many other uses and do not take up much space.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

This is a great idea msgt/ ret!! See I wish I could think about little things like this. There is just so much!

Faraday flashlights, and or wind up radio/flashlights would be in order. No, they aren't the best but they beat the heck out of flashlights and radios with dead batteries because you forgot to check them. Candles, candles, candles.

All the other food/water/water purification stuff like has been posted. They make 5 gallon buckets with dehydrating stuff of some sort in bags for toilet useage. I think they are called waterless toilets or something.

Cots for sleeping or just sitting on during the day. Good first aid kit, and maybe some books with home remedies, or survival tips ect. Two fold, keeps you occupied and can be useful.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Yea another cool side note to this storm cellar it actualy acts as a faraday cage to my understanding. So any electronics should be safe if , God forbid, we ever had a EMP happen here.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    I'll try to avoid repeating anything already posted.

If it's a storm shelter, you're worried about things falling over; chances are you're going to have to move some things that have.

Saws (proper saws for wood and metal), axes, pry-bars, bolt cutters, sledge hammers, shovels for sanitation and drainage, etc.. Cleaning and sharpening equipment for all tools. Consider spare handles for anything that swings.

Power equipment is fine, but maintenance is more involved. Chainsaws need fuel, oil (engine and chain) and regular servicing. Electric tools need to be charged, and recharged. Gasoline doesn't store well, rotate your stock. Hand tools of course are safer and have a reduced logistical footprint.

Work gloves, boots, glasses, and other protective clothing. If you're clearing out fallen trees, broken glass and such, you don't want to be getting cut up when medical services might not be readily available.

Consider a couple of insulated poles with hooks if you should have to manipulate electrical lines. This should be for emergencies only; best to leave it to the pros if you can.

For moving larger barriers, a line and pulley system will expand your capabilities. Rope is good, but sometimes you will want a chain.

Do not neglect wrenches and screwdrivers. Be prepared to off the gas or propane supply. Water lines typically have specialty tools; these can be fabricated. Don't let a tree through the kitchen turn into a flooded basement or a house fire.

Some kind of bolted down vault. Stock it with relevant documents (insurance, phone numbers, copies of ID, checks), and currency.

If you're a smoker, have smokes. A disaster may be a good time to quit, but it's not a great time to be strangling random people on the street. Have enough to tide you over until there is some kind of routine.

Disposable lighters don't store well over long periods. Zippo with fuel, wicks and flint ought to work; can't go wrong with matches (in waterproof containers).

Fire extinguishers. Shelters are not very effective if they're on fire.

Chemical lights (glow sticks) are great to have around. They last a good amount of time, provide decent lighting for an area, are resistant to wind and water, and much much safer than candles.

Bug repellent, bug netting, sunscreen.

If there is a regular power line to the shelter, consider a backup file server for your computer(s). A NAS is not too expensive and not terribly difficult to set up. I've seen wireless models if you don't feel like running conduit and CAT V to it. Many NAS devices come with backup software. Either that or a cloud based service (more reliable, but requires lots of bandwidth, and more expensive in the long run,).

Often overlooked: entertainment. Board games, playing cards, a few good books, and/or a musical instrument will go a long way. The saying goes "You can live forty days without food, four days without water, four minutes without air, but not even four seconds without hope". Staying sane is just as important as staying nourished.

Make sure to accommodate for any pets you like or could be a nuisance if they escaped that is; goldfish are on their own as far as I'm concerned.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Thats some great ideas daddy warcrimes! I won't have power ran to it. It's basically a steel box an that's it. I will have it stocked up on supplies though. All water tight because of moisture and condensation and what not. Plenty of batteries and lights. Plenty of first aid, water, and food... And ammo! But I never thought much about the tool thing. Funny... I work construction and didn't think about that. More than likely I will be helping neighbors and friends clear trees and help find missing people so I would think wood/metal cutting tools would be great. Keep the ideas coming!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mattmann View Post
    Thanks guys these are all great ideas. I plan on storing some c-rations and water for sure. I have a hand crank radio light combo that will be going in there also. I have a spare tactical light I geuss can go in there with some extra batteries and a stove is for sure. Clothing was a good idea and I have a weather radio for there anyways. Any other things I am missing. When this is installed the installer puts the gps coordinance in the system so the emts and police no were it is even if the streets and signs are gone.
    Not sure I'd like the fact of local officials having GPS coords.
    I understand about natural disasters but what about civil unrest and a Katrina scenario where local LEO's confiscated private citizens weapons?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links