Afternoon scare

This is a discussion on Afternoon scare within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I would have scared the crap out of him. You should have just re-holstered and jumped and screamed at the door making him pee on ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Afternoon scare

I would have scared the crap out of him. You should have just re-holstered and jumped and screamed at the door making him pee on himself...... That would have been awesome!!

2. Remove Ads

Definitely against USPS policy and protocal.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I don't think it would have been a stretch to call 911 on the spot, and keep your weapon drawn. I don't consider it a neutral or stupid thing for any non-resident to try to open my door, it is malicious and extremely suspect, period. If I had eyes on the guy and knew he was in uniform, saw no weapon in plain sight, I still would have kept my gun drawn, it's no joke to have someone trying to pop your front door open.

That being said, I'm on a first name basis with our UPS guy, and the mail carrier rolls by the garage shop door with his headphones jamming so loud I can tell what bands he likes, with a smile and a wave. The UPS guy tried getting into my garage to deliver an expensive air conditioning unit a few weeks ago, which didn't upset me, but did upset my wife (detached garage). I agreed with her that the guy was misguided and shouldn't have attempted it, but I wasn't mad; he makes a good effort to hide packages from the view of the street for us. I'm very comfortably with these guys, and any time someone else happens to sub in, I keep an eye on them.

I agree with everyone else...something just doesn't add up with this particular mailman. Definitely contact USPS regarding this.
    Sig Sauer P250
    Member-GeorgiaCarry.org
    US Navy 84-93

Since he was a substitute mail carrier, he was probably already running behind and just trying to get the mail delivered and go home. My guess is that he thought he could get the locked screen open far enough to drop the mail in the floor and got caught in the act. It wasn't the smartest thing to do, but you don't find too many PhD's working as substitute mail carriers. If he was in uniform and driving a USPS truck, I would probably let it go but, I've substituted on other people's routes before and understand that frustration can get the better of common sense sometimes.

He was in uniform, had a truck and had my mail so I'm pretty sure he was legitimate but definitely not smart. I'm going to call the post office tomorrow and let them know what happened because the dog would have eaten him had he gotten the front door open.

To those who asked, the mail slot was on the door that I left open.
    Walther PK380 - SIG Sauer P238 - Glock 19

Quote Originally Posted by enk5 View Post
    He was in uniform, had a truck and had my mail so I'm pretty sure he was legitimate but definitely not smart. I'm going to call the post office tomorrow and let them know what happened because the dog would have eaten him had he gotten the front door open.

To those who asked, the mail slot was on the door that I left open.
    Like I said, he was probably just trying to get the mail slid through the screen. He was already behind on the route and had probably gotten an earful from several customers who had been waiting for their mail. His route probably also has barcodes that he has to periodically scan so the supervisors can track his progress. None of that excuses his actions, but it does kind of flesh out the picture for you. He couldn't get to the mail slot and he was trying to get your mail to you. He was behind on the route and he was in a hurry. He exercised poor judgement. It happens. I'd cut him some slack, but that's me.

How big is your dog? Could the mailman see the dog?

If its a little dog he's probably not afraid of it and possibly just trying to get the mail delivered and willing to risk upsetting the pooch.

My mailbox is on the side of my front porch so the mail carrier doesn't need to come to my door. But you can also see through my screen door and easily see and be greeted by my 100 lb + Doberman and 85 pound rottie mutt who intimidate the hell out of those who approach.

Not trying to get into a dog contest but if yours is a little one he may have not been afraid of it.

Or he could just be a dumb criminal opportunist.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    How big is your dog? Could the mailman see the dog?

If its a little dog he's probably not afraid of it and possibly just trying to get the mail delivered and willing to risk upsetting the pooch.

My mailbox is on the side of my front porch so the mail carrier doesn't need to come to my door. But you can also see through my screen door and easily see and be greeted by my 100 lb + Doberman and 85 pound rottie mutt who intimidate the hell out of those who approach.

Not trying to get into a dog contest but if yours is a little one he may have not been afraid of it.

Or he could just be a dumb criminal opportunist.
    He wasn't afraid of the dog because he wasn't trying to get in the house. He was just trying to pry the locked screen open enough to slide the mail through it. He's running behind and he's late. He's a substitute carrier. He's trying his damnedest to get a route of his own because people donate organs to get a full time job (with benefits) with the post office, or they do in today's economy in my neck of the woods. The economy may be better in Akron.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links