Home Invasion - Atlanta

Home Invasion - Atlanta

This is a discussion on Home Invasion - Atlanta within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; On last night's news, it was reported that a man "defended" his home with a sword in a break-in. I thought it interesting until they ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By ksholder
  • 1 Post By Stubborn
  • 1 Post By RETSUPT99

Thread: Home Invasion - Atlanta

Home Invasion - Atlanta

On last night's news, it was reported that a man "defended" his home with a sword in a break-in.

I thought it interesting until they ran the whole report. A home was invaded by several armed perpetrators and the residents were robbed of their belongings. When the perpetrators left, the homeowner retrieved a Japanese sword from a cabinet and chased the perpetrators down his driveway and began swinging at them. The perps dropped some of their loot and all ran away. None were apprehended.

The news reports are making this guy out to be a hero, and all I can think is that the perps were GONE when he retrieved his weapon and that he CHASED them in order to confront them.

I expect he will not get in any trouble, because Atlanta is usually appreciative of people who fight back, but I am sure in many jurisdictions, this guy would be in jail.

Comments?
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    When I am in the Atlanta area, I am armed. If I lived in that area, my home would be on lock-down. I would be carrying 24-7 and have a stronger sense of caution than I do in my rural home. The fact that he chased them AFTER they robbed him was kind of ridiculous. Glad it worked in his favor, but he could have opened a can of worms.

VIP Member
    I dunno, chasing armed guys (plural) with a sword sounds stupid. He could have easily become worm food. Glad it worked out, but ...
    Stubborn and babarock like this.
    "I've noticed that everyone that is pro-abortion has already been born." - Ronald Reagan

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    I expect he will not get in any trouble, because Atlanta is usually appreciative of people who fight back, but I am sure in many jurisdictions, this guy would be in jail.

Comments?
    I don't believe he'd be going to jail anywhere in the USA. In the UK, that's a different story.

As long as he didn't injure or kill anyone as they were fleeing, what would he be going to jail for? There isn't any laws which say you have to stand there and watch your stuff get away.

I don't know any jurisdiction which says you can't try and stop a crime and get your stuff back. You just can't use lethal force on fleeing criminals. While a sword is considered a deadly weapon, it is a contact weapon, and unless he actually skewered someone in the back, I don't see a crime there. Since he never got a chance to use his sword on any of the crooks, I don't see him getting convicted of anything in the USA.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Sounds to me like he is very lucky he didn't end up with a case of lead poisoning.
    Didn't say what the "perps" were armed with, but I would imagine they had firearms...
    babarock likes this.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    never underestimate the power of suprise....or stupidity
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

How much easier it might have gone had he been better prepared...SA, firearm, practice, and a mindset.OMO
    I'll bet he begins looking at the rules to get a permit and a firearm, NOW!
    garyacman likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    How much easier it might have gone had he been better prepared...SA, firearm, practice, and a mindset.OMO
    I'll bet he begins looking at the rules to get a permit and a firearm, NOW!
    Yep, if he had a gun, and better SA, he'd be cleaning the blood out of his carpet instead of chasing them down the street with a pig sticker. But at least he'd have a smile on his face.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I ain't chasin nobody with no sword.

Quote Originally Posted by redstgunnut View Post
    The only way you coulda said that any more better woulda been to get yourself another negative or two in there cousin!

You might try - "I ain't never chaisin nobody with no sword no how, no way, no where."

Now you know we're just havin ourselves some good clean hillbilly fun, right? And ifin you all are from them flat lands down around Memphis please except my hillbilly appoligies!

Quote Originally Posted by redstgunnut View Post
    What if he robbed you with a itty bitty knife
    I gotta tell ya somebody running at me with a sword yelling Ima chopa suey you,is gonna get my attention
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by ep1953 View Post
    The only way you coulda said that any more better woulda been to get yourself another negative or two in there cousin!

You might try - "I ain't never chaisin nobody with no sword no how, no way, no where."

Now you know we're just havin ourselves some good clean hillbilly fun, right? And ifin you all are from them flat lands down around Memphis please except my hillbilly appoligies!
    I'm from Middle Tennessee. I ain't no freakin' hillbilly, I'm a redneck, and I'd rather be dead than live within an hour of Memphis.

At least he didn't take a knife to a gun fight
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

Sponsored Links