Just answer the dang doorbell! - Page 2

Just answer the dang doorbell!

This is a discussion on Just answer the dang doorbell! within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; i'm with ya oldvet, i did a thread like this "outside after dark" awhile back, people should never say never, i could be somebody with ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Just answer the dang doorbell!

i'm with ya oldvet, i did a thread like this "outside after dark" awhile back, people should never say never, i could be somebody with important info for you, such as your truck is in the middle of the street or your garage is on fire, you just never know, i carry if im awake, so i answer armed but not in my hand, people can be careful and saftey minded and still answer thier doors

Why not just answer the door and not open the door? Most doors aren't so thick that sound won't carry through them. Use peep holes etc, but don't just be hunkered down waiting for the imminent zombie attack.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

This really isn't all that complicated.

Doorbell rings. Look through peep hole. If you recognize who it is, open door. If not, go to upstairs window, open it, and ask what they want. Or just talk through the closed door, until you are satisfied that it is safe to open.

Done.
    Old School and Belskisfast like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I refused to answer the door today in broad daylight because I didn't recognize the 3 men standing in my yard. I don't care that I was armed, my husband was there, and the dog was going crazy. If you are not my neighbor, the pizza delivery guy, or my parents I'm not opening the door. It's not because I'm afraid you're the boogie man, I just don't want to deal with you. I really feel bad turning sales people away or telling the missionaries I'm not interested, so it's better for the both of us that the door stays shut.

I've been one of those people who has forgotten to set that blanking parking brake and had my vehicle roll into another. When there is an unexpected knock on the door I check to make sure my car is in the driveway.
    surefire7 likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by MinistrMalic View Post
    Nicely said, OP. Whether armed or not, at least answer the dang door. Politely.
    Thanks. For those who didn't get the point, my post isn't about being armed but about being more humane. no one needs to answer the door in a threatening manner.
    oakchas and Belskisfast like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    The knocking on the door could be for the person doing the knocking to check if anyone is home so they can rob the place...
    And an unanswered knock is just what they're looking for--you've initiated step two of a break-in when responding may have sent them looking for easier territory.

The post isn't about taking due caution (we all should these days); it's about being courtious enough to answer the door. 99% of the timeit's for a legitimate reason, even if annoying.
    HotGuns and swiftyjuan like this.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I agree with what you are saying OldVet but sometimes you can't be to careful.......

YouTube - ‪Land Shark - Monday Night Live‬‏
    gruntingfrog likes this.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    I agree with what you are saying OldVet but sometimes you can't be to careful.......

Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

This tread is kinda funny for me. Usually when there's a knock at the door, it's a kid looking for my son, that is, if they even knock... Most if the time they just walk right in.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post

Smartie britches! One of thier best skits.

Senior Moderator
    A knock on the door.

I've done it many times....at all hours of the day and night, in and out of uniform.

People that refuse to answer a door because it is not someone they know, assume a lot.

It could be that I have just run over a dog and want to see if it is yours.

It could be that I have been called out due to an emergency, and am not wearing a uniform, but you need to evacuate the area because an ammonia truck has overturned in your neighborhood as is leaking ammonia.

It could be that you have an overturned 18 wheeler on fire next to your house and I am trying to evacuate you and your family before the feul tanks explode.

It could be that the electricity is out and will be out for at least 24 hours and I am alerting you to that fact so that you can take needed precautions.

These examples are things I have actually done over the years.

You dont know what the knock at the door is. It could very well be to your benefit to know. Assuming that it is not for you could cost you dearly.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    And an unanswered knock is just what they're looking for--you've initiated step two of a break-in when responding may have sent them looking for easier territory.

The post isn't about taking due caution (we all should these days); it's about being courtious enough to answer the door. 99% of the timeit's for a legitimate reason, even if annoying.
    I completely agree that the unanswered knock is what they are looking for. I say that the best bet is to be armed & answer (not brandishing, but armed & ready to draw if need be). Watch where they go & call the police if they seem like they are up to no good. Attend any community assn meetings & ensure that you spread the word about the concept of the knock and case the place and encourage alertness in your neighbors. I never said not to answer the door, rather I encourage it. As you said, use due caution.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

If they look like salesmen (or saleswomen) I do not answer. If they are heavily armed, I do not answer. If it is a stunning girl in a bikini, I answer. I guess it depends. If I don't want them to come back, I answer naked; they are blinded by acres of white flesh, and run off screaming into the night. A nice lady rang the doorbell three weeks ago, and I almost didn't answer, but I was pretty sure I could take her if she was a serial (or cereal) killer. She informed me that my block wall in the back yard was spouting water. A faucet connection had broken, and my backyard was under about 1/2 inches of water. I'm glad I answered..
    Andriss likes this.
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

VIP Member
    An outside door video intercom would solve most concerns.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Oldvet, this one is hitting close to home. In my opinion, if I didn't invite you in, there is a dang short list of people who should even set foot on my property.

I musta bought something to make UPS FedEx, or the mailman ring the bell, so that's my fault.

I can be a bit oblivious, but I bet I would notice a gas tanker crashing and exploding.

Chemical spill, and you go door to door without protective gear, well if it's that urgent, you're toast.

In the month of June, outside of delivery people I caused to show up, three or four guys with a pick up and a chainsaw rang the bell wanting to cut down my dead pine tree. And a couple ticked me off, and woke me up since I work odd hours.

I let a car roll out of the driveway when I was nineteen, and won't ever let that happen again. If you can't park a car, you deserve what you get. Call 911 and report a traffic hazard.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links