Just answer the dang doorbell! - Page 3

Just answer the dang doorbell!

This is a discussion on Just answer the dang doorbell! within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm with you OldVet, for the life of me I don't understand those who refuse to answer their door. Especially those who refuse to answer ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Just answer the dang doorbell!

I'm with you OldVet, for the life of me I don't understand those who refuse to answer their door. Especially those who refuse to answer the door in the middle of the day.

I do however, have a gun when I answer the door. But that's because if I'm awake, I'm armed. It may be in the holster on my belt, or it may be a small .380 in my pocket. That's my norm.

If it's in the middle of the night, I at least put on a pair of pants before answering it. So, having a .380 in the pocket isn't a problem. I don't see anything wrong with that.

The bottom line is this... Regardless of how many innocuous times someone knocks on your door, regardless of time of day, it's a fact that "push-in" home invasion robberies do happen. No matter how rare that may be, it does happen. And there's nothing wrong with being prepared to deal with one, if it were ever to happen at your house.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    ...maybe the sound of crunching metal will inspire you to rise, arm yourself to fend off those zombies you're so worried about, and see if you forgot to set the brake!
    Since my cars are always parked in the garage, crunching metal would indicate a car ramming through the closed garage door. (Actually had this happen to my assigned company vehicle parked inside a company garage facing the street---a drunk rammed through the door, crashed into the car, and staggered away on foot leaving his vehicle sticking out of the garage!)

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Compromise. It is very easy to answer the door armed and not shoot or traumatise anyone.
    Ring my door, I answer with a weapon behind my back, ring my door at night on the off chance im there sleeping, i open the door with the gun in my hand if at all, I really don't care if I tramatize the yuppy at three in the morning who knocks on my door.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

AS I live in a rural area, If someone would climb over my 6 foot wire fence with a 6 ft locked gate that surrounds my house, walk into my security lights, ignore the posted beware of dogs signs and my 90 lbs German shepard wanting to get out of the house to make a happy meal out of him and knock on my door. I would answer it armed as that person is not normal.
    RevolvingMag likes this.

I am also with Oldvet on this one. Unless you live smack dab in the middle of the "hood", Not all people who knock on your door are out to get you. Unless of course it is one of those damn girl scouts that dare climb up on your porch and ring your bell all the while armed to the teeth. You do know those cookie boxes are really IED's right? Don't be fooled there my friend.

Oh, and peephole installation is not "Rocket Surgery". Just think of them as covert recon.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Locked full window storm doors work well for the overly paranoid as well. If you prefer you can probably have the plexiglass replaced with ballistics glass. Then you can stand there naked doing the helicopter and no one can get to you.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Here's my front door setup:

I'm with you, OldVet. Somebody knocks on my door, I'm going to answer.

Maybe this is a generational thing, and maybe the younger set are a paranoid bunch of pants-wetting pansies, but I see this as a matter of freedom and liberty. If you cannot answer your own door, then you are living in a prison.

It's your home, your property. You command it. You are the master of your domain. And, being the Compleat and Total Emperor of your land means that you are fully able to respond to general inquiries.

Now, back to the photo: You can see I've got these two side windows. Here's where I've given ground. In the event of a knock or someone ringing the bell, I always look through one of the windows first to see who's out there before opening the door.

Some of you out there might be thinking, "well, duh," but to me it's a big step. Because just that - peeking first - is an admission of suspicion. It's prudent, but I dislike doing it because I shouldn't have to do it.

Also, I don't arm myself to go to the door unless it's at an odd hour. This has happened exactly once in 7 years. But when that did happen, I grabbed the 686. [Note to the security minded - the door has a double-key deadbolt, so breaking one of the windows doesn't allow the door to be opened.]
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    Here's my front door setup:

Maybe this is a generational thing, and maybe the younger set are a paranoid bunch of pants-wetting pansies, but I see this as a matter of freedom and liberty. If you cannot answer your own door, then you are living in a prison.
    I have got to write that down for future use! I bet you're the type that would most likely assist someone in need--even if they aren't a "loved one." Lordly how I hate the "Me" generation.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

bet you're the type that would most likely assist someone in need
    I am. And last time I remarked on that here I got a dozen "likes" for the comment. We are not alone, those of us who carry the memory of what America used to be. Cynicism and paranoia are the great slayers of civilization. Our strength is our belief in our own better natures and the positive willingness to help one another.
    swiftyjuan, msgt/ret and JDE101 like this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Cool

And you need to answer your door so that this dosen't needlessly happen to you.

http://www.motifake.com/image/demoti...1254428198.jpg
    Bark'n likes this.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I work for a Public Works dept. in a city of about 30,000. One night about 10 years ago we were painting lines at night and I heard a popping noise down the street. I went to see what it was out of curiosity. What it was was the back of an RV that was just starting on fire from the extension cord plugged into it. I start pounding on the RV's door, but no one answers. I head to the house and knock on the door. No one answers so I ran next door to have the neighbors call the police and fire dept. She tells me there are kids in the RV and the people are home. I run back to the house and beat on the door. The guy answers the door with a shot gun pointing at me. I was more pissed than shocked. I tell him that the RV is on fire, along with his pine tree and the corner of his house. The kids and family got out ok. Long story short the next night I have a note for me to stop by the guy's house. When I get there he explained he heard the first knock, but doesn't answer the door after dark and the kids were told not to open the RV and to use the house back door. He was in tears over the stupidity of not answering the door and that it could have cost him his three children because of it, He said from then on he was at least checking the door if someone was knocking. To think I could have been shot because I was trying to do the right thing still befuddles me.

I couldn't imagine living with the kind of paranoia or fear that stops me from answering the door to my own home. I don't answer ours armed, but it is close by.

My door bell rings quite a bit. I always answer. Most of the time it's either my neighbor wanting to chat (he is a cc holder) or the other neighbors kids asking if my daughter can come out and play. I'm usualy polite to salesman even though they are annoying. Im a recruiter so I understand how they feel. If they appear to be of age, Ill start my recruiter pitch when they are done with theirs. One day, shortly after I moved here, I had a member of the City come and welcome me and my family to the city. Gave a nice little welcome packet. She asked what I did (they always assume Wal-Mart). She told me that her kids were in the military as well. Ended up having a nice conversation.

I live in a cul-de-sac where we all know each other. At least one of my neighbors is a CC holder. I do answer with a weapon on my person if I dont know the individual. Not openly, the kids don't need to see that. As a recruiter, I have to maintain a reputation. I have to use my head and be smart with how I carry myself at home and in the community. The media would have a field day if I do something stupid.

I guess what I'm trying to say is be smart. Use the peep hole or side windows and see who it is. If you dont feel like answering, thats your right. As a matter of fact, while writing this, someone knocked on my door. I went to the door thinking "what a coincidence" to find my neighbors wife asking if my daughter could come over to meet and fill water balloons with her grandchildren.

Happy 4th everyone. Be safe.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post

It's your home, your property. You command it. You are the master of your domain. And, being the Compleat and Total Emperor of your land means that you are fully able to respond to general inquiries.
    I'm certainly not young and I haven't wet my pants in a LONG time, but here is my position, and I'd call it "being cautious". We live in the country, way in the country, it's dark here at night, the deputies could be a long way away. No neighbors watching out for us either. It's me, my wife and 84 yoa FIL (with some dementia). I've asked my FIL to not open the door to anyone, unless he knows them well. Most visitors would be looking for me and they'll have my cell phone. If he opens the door to the wrong person, he'll be instantly overpowered and we'll be faced with a BAD situation. I've asked my wife not to blindly open the door either, if she knows who it is then fine, but otherwise no.

When I'm here and the doorbell rings (night or day) I look at them through a window or on the security camera then make the decision whether I need to be armed or not. IIRC I've always answered the door, but I'm initially pretty cautious especially if it's an odd hour. If I use SA when I'm away from home, I promote using SA when I'm home. I'd rather be a live Emperor, rather than a dead Emperor anyday.

I pretty much have to answer the door, someone could be (and it's happened) notifying me that I've got a loose cow out on the highway. I still advocate the use of a door intercom, to me it's the safest with the most effectiveness, now if I could just find one that's reliable.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Answering the door doesn't mean I have to open it.

The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.

I agree with OldVet and Shockwave. I'm from the "older" generation, and I always answer the door. However, even as a kid (I grew up in Gary, IN) I knew about "Situational Awareness" and being prudent! I never have, nor will, blindly opened the door! I always looked thru the peephole to see who was there as a kid, and now I have security storm doors with keyed deadbolt locks so that even if I open the inner door, no one is going to "bust in"! I am also armed around the house as well as when I go out. I don't brandish a firearm when opening the door, but can certainly draw if necessary! And I can, and do, politely turn away salesmen and evangelists without unlocking the storm door.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links