Just answer the dang doorbell!

This is a discussion on Just answer the dang doorbell! within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Old School If it is important you can find me another time. I have insurance. What is your advice to this guy? ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Just answer the dang doorbell!

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    If it is important you can find me another time. I have insurance. What is your advice to this guy? (quote) Azchevy.....

Next time he should do right in his business dealings especially with someone who knows where he lives and settles his beef's with lead.
    You solved the case?? Call the Phoenix PD asap!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    (maybe the uniform and badge on the belt helped),
    Gotta ask, given that your profile states that you are unemployed why would you have a uniform and a badge on your belt?

Heck of a good question, perhaps a profile needs an update.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Because I was unemployed but now have a state job. Didn't realize anyone bothered to search ancient profiles.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    I understand if you feel the need to answer the door with a gun. That's your right, and by god please use it if its your thing. Personally, I fall into the camp that being armed with situational awareness is enough. For instance, I don't just blindly open the door like some salivating Pavlovian pup (unlike other people who live with me). I check the peephole. 99.9% of the time, its someone I know or the UPS employee. If its not, I profile them. That's right, I use stereotyping and profiling to enhance my judgment. Does he look like a BG?

I guess I'm just privileged and mildly careless enough to take the calculated risk of not always having to grab my piece before answering the door *assuming its not on me*
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Because I was unemployed but now have a state job. Didn't realize anyone bothered to search ancient profiles.
    It's just another layer in determining the credibility of a poster. If someone is dishing out tactical advise, but their profile lists them as a carny barker, I might not take it as seriously.
    OD* likes this.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

I have no reason not to answer my door generally when people knock or ring the bell. I will look to see who it is first. If I am dressed I have a gun on, but that is just how it happens.

When people cacoon themselves off from the outside world and ignore what is going on around them, I believe that enables the criminal element the ability to move and act without regard to who is watching and or being caught doing bad things.

I am not saying that everyone should open the door every time it rings under every circumstance.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links