Just answer the dang doorbell!

This is a discussion on Just answer the dang doorbell! within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; All too often I read statements from others on this forum that they never answer a knock at the door, appear with gun in hand ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Just answer the dang doorbell!

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.

All too often I read statements from others on this forum that they never answer a knock at the door, appear with gun in hand if they do, and suspect anyone and everyone who feels they have reason to "trespass" on said person's precious property.

Get a grip, folks--answer the dang doorbell. It might be for you!

Coming home at 12:30 am last night after an uneventful late shift, I drove through a particularly dark section of my neighborhood street and almost slammed into a Ford Ranger sitting crossways in the middle of the street. Dark night, dark street, dark truck=close call. The vehicle had obviously rolled down the sloped driveway and into the road. No lights were on in the house, and none came on when I leaned on the horn a bit.

Knowing someone would hit the truck if I simply did the easy thing and drove on, I parked and rang the doorbell. That's right--at 12:30 am. I stepped back to the edge of the porch, hoping whoever came to the door wasn't one of those who can't take an unarmed breath.

A sleepy-eyed man opened the door (unarmed as far as I could tell). He didn't seem upset, fearful, or alarmed (maybe the uniform and badge on the belt helped), and I apologised for waking him but thought he'd like to know his truck was sitting in the middle of the street. In so many words, he said he forgot to set the blankety-blank brake and thanked me for waking him.

I had never spoken to this fellow before. That's what good neighbors do.

For those of you who refuse to respond to unannounced doorbells, maybe the sound of crunching metal will inspire you to rise, arm yourself to fend off those zombies you're so worried about, and see if you forgot to set the brake! Maybe your neighbors aren't so good as to risk getting shot to save your car.

As for me, I've answered doorbells and frantic pounding in the wee hours twice, both times for neighbors with an emergency. Neither time did I think I had to shoot anyone.

That's what good neighbors do.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Like a good neighbor...la, la, la, la, la...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

+1....ditto...

What is this reasonable suggestion you offer? I don't understand. I thought we were supposed to shoot anyone who dared set foot on our porch after 6 PM.

:)
    Rotorblade likes this.
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

I understand where you are coming from, but I do not answer the door unarmed at any time of the day or night. I see it like a condom... Rather have it & not need it than not have it & need it. Safest place for a firearm is on your person.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Compromise. It is very easy to answer the door armed and not shoot or traumatise anyone.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Hmmm. Let's see. The wife is lieing down next to me. The kids are both out of state in college. My siblings live in distant states. My parents are dead. The smoke detectors are not going off. There is no flickering light as would be the case with flame. No police cars, fire trucks or ambulances outside the window.

Then the calculus is quite simple. The knocking on the door is not for me. The person doing the knocking may think so, but I already know that is not the case. What is actually happening is that the knocking on the door is benefitting somebody else. In other words, the knocking on the door is for them.

I may or may not open the door. That's a separate issue. But I do so knowing it ain't for me.

I got a peephole in my door,last night my neighbor came over to tell me he put my dog in the back yard,I told him thanks,one of my neighbors that when I cut my grass I cut theirs too,Since I always carry at home,I never answer the door unarmed
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

A doorbell is a request, not a demand. I have a peephole, and use discretion answering the door. Maybe your neighbor behaves like me, but saw the uniform and opened up.
    rhinokrk likes this.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

mkh
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    Hmmm. Let's see. The wife is lieing down next to me. The kids are both out of state in college. My siblings live in distant states. My parents are dead. The smoke detectors are not going off. There is no flickering light as would be the case with flame. No police cars, fire trucks or ambulances outside the window.

Then the calculus is quite simple. The knocking on the door is not for me. The person doing the knocking may think so, but I already know that is not the case. What is actually happening is that the knocking on the door is benefitting somebody else. In other words, the knocking on the door is for them.

I may or may not open the door. That's a separate issue. But I do so knowing it ain't for me.
    So there is no chance that it is a passerby trying to inform you that your car is on fire?

I understand the OP's point. I answer my door armed but from the way some people post they seem prone to shooting anyone that knocks on their door. We can and should be cautious but it seems like we have forgotten common decencies in our rush to be SD aware.
    PAcanis and Belskisfast like this.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Nicely said, OP. Whether armed or not, at least answer the dang door. Politely.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

OK, I read the first post quickly, but is this thread about answering the door armed or not? I thought it was about answering the door at all.
    Like I have said in previous posts, I'm a door answerer and have also been on the other side of the door, when I was the one doing the knocking.

Good job Old Vet stepping away from the door. You never want to appear a threat. And great job for helping this guy out from avoiding a nasty insurance claim and someone else from a possible accident.

I would have tried to notify the homeowner as well. If that failed, I would have called the cops to tow it away. Either way, I would have done my part to help others avoid an accident.

I answer the door, armed of course, but I do answer it. If someone is ignorant enough to use the front door, it takes a bit. Those who know me ring the doorbell for the door by my garage. They get a response a lot faster. They also avoid the dogs barking like mad at the front door. Love my sheltie and my sheltie mix. Great sentry dogs.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Not a problem - I don't have a doorbell! I don't even have a handle on the storm door (thanks to some jerk door-to-door salesperson walking off with it).
    We ignore all comers who aren't neighbors & aren't invited...although my wife still insists on answering when it's her folks.

If the dogs alert us to something in the night, I'll investigate (with my firearm holstered) to find out what the heck is going on.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

The knocking on the door could be for the person doing the knocking to check if anyone is home so they can rob the place...
    jem102 likes this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links