Extreme sheep, another family reunion story

This is a discussion on Extreme sheep, another family reunion story within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Protection? That's what the government is for. I don't want to think about it right now. I have to get back to my tie dye ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Extreme sheep, another family reunion story

VIP Member
    Protection? That's what the government is for. I don't want to think about it right now. I have to get back to my tie dye T-shirts.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    It seems that some opinions are based solely on personal interpretations of religious writings or one's own feelings regarding faith. Getting into heaven seems to be more important to some than 'saving' their own life.

I once had a nice Southern Baptist lady I worked with give her opinion that women who wear risqué clothing & then become victims of sexual assault deserve the assault. She even admitted that this would apply to her or any of her 5 daughters, should they dress in such a way.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

mkh
    There are none so ignorant as those who will not learn.
    That really sums things up nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Timezoneguy View Post
    Her reply was I would rather be killed than take anothers life. OK so at this point I realize that nothing will be gained by further conversation.
    I've encountered those types of people before too. And while their belief is honorable, I just can't agree with it. Some people say that it is impossible to value one person's life over another. I disagree. Anyone who lowers themselves to a life of crime, especially violent crime, rates very low on my list of a life's value. It would be great if everyone in the world had the exact same belief, then we'd never have any killings or any need of self-defense. But as we all know, the world is far from that perfect.

But when arguing with such a person, sometimes it helps to bring in a 3rd person. So you might say, "well, maybe you would be willing to die for that belief, but what if somebody were to be out to kill your child? would you kill somebody to protect your child?" After all, that is an instinct most animals and humans are born with, the willingness to die to protect our children.

I have learned to 'feel' people out a bit, and when I sense , I do not talk SD/HD or guns, religion, politics, or the coming financial collapse...just a waste of time.
    ppkheat likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

My cousin correctly interpreted my shirt bulge at family reunion and asked why I carried there.
    I told him as long as it was on my belt, I knew exactly where it was, and I could guarantee it was nowhere else.
    I said "If it's locked in the truck I cannot make that guarantee."
    He saw the logic of my argument.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Well I guarantee you that there won't be any anti talk happening at my family reunion. We've had target practice several years.
    pinklady likes this.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

I gave up worring about people with an attitude like this. You can't argue or change their minds

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    You'd be surprised how many hunters and seemingly gun guys are against concealed carry, handguns, and the NRA. They somehow believe they are always the hunter and never the hunted. I like to think not but I've run across a few.
    Funny, I got involved the other way around. Got to go shooting in my 20's (2001) and that started the bug. Got my first pistol for carry in 2002, a .38 for personal defense even though my permit said "hunting and target" Never considered hunting until a few years ago. Now I have my Lifetime Sportsman.

I have no idea how self preservation is not an instinct that would kick in sooner or later. My brother and his wife are "sheep" but before she got her hooks in too deep, he did get to shoot an SKS. Now he doesn't show up to family gatherings and when he does, spouts his anti-gun rhetoric at every inappropriate moment. I just try to steer the conversation in other directions because there is no conversation to be had with him, no logic, no reason and he won't even consider listening to your side or agreeing to disagree.

I see him maybe once a year, if that. I don't miss him.

Jim

I feel privileged. My family reunions are all about guns. We shoot traps one day, pistols the next, and rifles day three. I've got family that will pat me down when I show up to guess how many guns I have on me. Half the women are better shots than the men, but the men cook better too.

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    Just wondering- Do these two people have any children?

I have run across several people who say they would not take a life to save their own. But, there has be very few that I've met who said they would not take a life to protect their children.

When a persons falls into this catagory I acknowledge their love for their child & williness to protect them at all costs. Then, I ask them if they think staying alive to protect their children is something that makes sense to them.

Taking this approach usually opens up the door for more education; and I used it to help convert many AGers into believers.
    I couldn't agree with you more. I was talking was a coworker of mine and he said he could not kill another human even in self defense. I then asked him if he could kill in defense of his child and he said he could do that. Some people! How does he think his child would feel loosing his dad when he could have defended himself?

PS. I don't know what makes people who couldn't kill another "human" think that some lowlife dirtbag in the process of attacking them or their family is "human".

I read some of the paragraph from the On Combat and It is really intresting having my girlfriend search for it on PDF. Makes a lot of sense.

On Topic.

I personally see it simple the few who think it will never happen to them also dont see anything wronge with just about anything. In Highschool people have walked up to me telling me they saw a guy slap his girlfriend in the hall and they walked away because they arent involved in it, Yet on occasion those people have done the same which to me shows a "I do no evil nor will evil do unto me" I see it simply prepare for the worst and hope for the best.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links