Do you carry at all times inside your home?

This is a discussion on Do you carry at all times inside your home? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I usually keep a firearm within arms reach of me. If not holstered and on my hip. I also own dogs who are barkers. They ...

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Do you carry at all times inside your home?

I usually keep a firearm within arms reach of me. If not holstered and on my hip. I also own dogs who are barkers. They have made a good deterrant against some stupid teens that have been looking into my windows, and have chased off.

They make good buds as well. A win win situation. Not too mention they are a handsome pair to make up for my shortcomings.
    gatech33 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

I'm trying to treat it like my cell phone, wallet, reading glasses or sunglasses. It's a tool. Just like a siding guy always has his snips, a butcher his knife. I'd say I'm successful about 99.9% of the time, carrying (except when sleeping or showering or swimming) on me, my other guns rotated to the safe or in place in the house concealed, but available to me.

Yes. Always. My sidearm being in my IWB on me also means the kids can't access it. Always ready. Screw comfort.

Sent from my ZTF Com1 Device using Tapatalk.
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong. That is your oath.

Quote Originally Posted by SFury View Post
    I usually keep a firearm within arms reach of me. If not holstered and on my hip. I also own dogs who are barkers. They have made a good deterrant against some stupid teens that have been looking into my windows, and have chased off.

They make good buds as well. A win win situation. Not too mention they are a handsome pair to make up for my shortcomings.
    I'm not really a dog person, I am a cat person.. but I have to admit, those are some cute dogs..

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    I usually have one close by and if its not, I usually have my Benchmade 550 Griptilian nearby.

Believe it or not the vast overwelming majority of americans live their lives without guns and die of natural causes. If you look for a reason to carry a gun at home you will find them. Same for carrying a gun to the bathroom as one other poster said in a different forum. Imagine living life so frightened that you have to be armed to use the toilet in your own home. Of course he would say he is not frightened but rather prepared. I only prepare for things I fear will happen. I do not know about others. :) Spend a day looking up crime statistics and calculating the odds of certain things happening to someone of your race and socio-economic status and location and you may be surprised to find that you have a lot of other things to fear that you have not prepared for than arming yourself in your home. :) Fire extinguishers in your home are normal. Sprinkler system and fire engine in the garage is over reacting even though I am sure that there are cases where it would have saved someone's life. :) It it makes you feel safer then do it but if it ever comes to the point where I feel that I am in mortal danger unless I have a gun on me all the time than life is not worth living.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

I am not in mortal fear. I choose to be careful. I could do those calculations all day. They don't take in to account that I have a prison ten miles away. (There have been jail breaks and close calls.) Prison road crews work less than a mile from my home cleaning the highway. They work less than a half mile away cleaning the main road outside of my neighborhood.

All of that is enough reason to be careful. I have more. Last year during a snow storm two men tried to break in to my neighbor's house, in broad daylight. She was a house bound senior citizen with cancer and heart issues. She had no way to defend herself. Lucky for her I saw what was going on. I called the police. When the bad guys went on her porch I came out with my rifle. They left pretty quick. It turns out that they had broken in to multiple homes that day. They thought the snow would keep the cops from responding. Their master plan fell through.

It has to happen to somebody or the statistical table would be all zeroes.

ETA:
    I do not walk around with my gun on my hip at all times. I can reach it at all times though. It is a bit cumbersome with a P-07. I guess that is just one more reason to get a Rami for Christmas.
    Last edited by MikeNice; July 19th, 2011 at 12:05 AM.

I switch from the PF9 to the P3AT when I come home for the night but I'm always armed. It's hard to come up with an excuse when the P3AT is about the size and weight of my blackberry.

Well, I carry in my own home during my busy season. Usually between September and January I end up selling a lot of computers locally through craigslist, instead of just online. So that means I have several customers coming over during the day. Sometimes they don't show up at the time they say they'll be here, or never show up at all. So since I never know when they'll show up, I'm always carrying because I don't like it when the doorbell rings and I have to race to the gun safe to get my gun and conceal it before I answer the door. And as I've mentioned on here before, sometimes I worry about them coming back "after hours" so to speak. I'm typically open-carrying when I'm walking around the house simply because it is more comfortable and I don't really notice the gun much. When the door bell rings, it is quick and easy to convert to concealed by just moving my shirt.

During my slow season (right now) I don't bother carrying indoors. But if somebody tried to break in the quickest way would be for them to come through a window. And I think that would take them a few seconds at least. Even if for some miracle I didn't hear the glass break, the alarm would go off so I should have the time I need to grab my pistol. I have re-enforced striker plates and metal doors, so kicking the door in won't be that easy, which is a favorite way for crooks to break in. if my wife's home at the time, they'll have two armed opponents to worry about.

VIP Member
    Gunbyte not knocking your theories they are yours, but if you did the stats overall why carry at all? The chance of needing/using it may be pretty low.

Now with that said, I wear a firearm simply out of habit for the most part. I feel awkward without it. Do I place a weapon near the shower no (Note: If the sight of a 50 year old naked, bald guy, with tattoos does not scare off the intruder I am in trouble anyways), while swimming no, while sleeping it is next to the bed other than that yep I carry around the house. If not carrying a full size something I have my CTC 642 or my Sig 238.

In reference to the Glock in the bag, how do you get that open? I can just see me yelling wait a minute as I try to open it with my teeth. Neat concept though.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Not at all times, no. I have them where they can be easily gotten to if needed. I know the layout of my house and feel comfortable with the setup I have.

Homes are full of other weapons if needed in a pinch. Everyone thinks knives in the kitchen but some people have fireplace pokers, end tables light enough to fling, dining room chairs, plates, vases, basically anything that can distract a BG or put a bit of distance between the two of you long enough to get to your weapon. Of course none of those are as effective as a gun but they are usually there if needed. If you have a malfunction or run out of ammo you may need to resort to those items to survive.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

No, not all the time. I live in a double cul de sac so no thru traffic, nice and quiet neighborhood. Having said that, when I get home, I put my gun away downstairs but when I go to bed, I will retrieve it and it is within reach at night. I figure most break-ins happen during the evening hours and since I am up at 4:30am every day, I need my weapon close at hand from 8-4:30am. Once I leave the house, I ALWAYS have it with me.
    Sig Sauer P250
    Member-GeorgiaCarry.org
    US Navy 84-93

Senior Member Array CR Williams's Avatar
    Not carry at all times inside my home? Why would I not? This concept is foreign to me...

SFury, a set of very excellent-looking fellows you have there...
    My cats support the Second Amendment.

www.inshadowinlight.com

"Oh, bother," said Pooh as he rocked another mag into the 556R...

Ill carry in my home sometimes. Mostly if i just get home and am going going going and i just havent sat down ill carry. I say it is a wise choice because what good is a gun if youre in your living roo near the front door and your gun is in your safe in your closet eh?

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    When I get home from work, I usually take off my main carry gun and change into cargo shorts, slippers and a shirt or pull over sweater. Therefore, I then throw my S&W 442 with a Desantis Nemesis Pocket holster inside my right pocket. Nothing wrong with carrying inside the home, but I usually just carry something small and comfortable that will allow me enough time to get to my larger handgun, shotgun or AR-15 if there is a break-in. I'm not paranoid, just like to have a plan in case SHTF.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Links