Do you carry at all times inside your home?

This is a discussion on Do you carry at all times inside your home? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Here's an example of why you should. Gunman who planned to kill man shoots child, another adult PHILADELPHIA (Reuters) - The gunman in a quintuple ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Do you carry at all times inside your home?

Here's an example of why you should.

Gunman who planned to kill man shoots child, another adult

PHILADELPHIA (Reuters) - The gunman in a quintuple shooting that left a toddler and one man dead in a possible revenge crime at a Pennsylvania weekend home was "an evil unrepentant monster," a prosecutor said on Tuesday.

Mark Geisenheyner, 51, who was later killed by police after a six-hour standoff at a friend's home, was accused in the Saturday bloodbath at the rural Montgomery County country home of Paul and Monica Shay of New York City.

"Guess you never thought you'd see me again," Geisenheyner told Paul Shay after he broke into their home northwest of Philadelphia where they were entertaining guests over the holiday weekend, according to Montgomery County District Attorney Risa Vetri Ferman.

The violence may have been provoked by an insurance dispute that Geisenheyner had with one of the victims, Vetri Ferman said.

She declined to comment on media reports that Geisenheyner had been imprisoned for receiving a stolen piece of art from the Shay home in 2006 as part of an insurance scam. The reports said when he was released from jail, he sought revenge.

She said it would be inaccurate to say that Shay was a part of any insurance fraud.

"What we've learned from the investigation is that for the past 15 months or so, Mark Geisenheyner had been planning to break into this home, to steal and to kill Paul Shay," Vetri Ferman said at a news conference.

After forcing his way into the Douglass Township home, Geisenheyner killed the homeowner's nephew Joseph Shay, 43, of West Yarmouth, Massachusetts, and New York City and Gregory Bosco, 2, of Fall River, Massachusetts, who was found on a bed, shot in the head.

He also shot and critically wounded the child's mother, Kathryn Lynn Erdmann, 37, and Paul Shay, 64, and his wife Monica Shay, 58. Although gravely injured, Kathryn Erdmann and Paul Shay spoke with investigators.

The gunman fled, heading for the home of a former acquaintance in Trainer, Pennsylvania, about 48 miles south. The next day, after police surrounded the house for hours, Geisenheyner was shot and killed in the basement.

"He is an evil, unrepentant monster," Vetri Ferman told Reuters.

She said Geisenheyner was armed with "at least" two handguns, a .22 caliber and a .45 caliber. The .22 was located later in the Schuylkill River, near the murder scene in Douglass Township.

(Reporting by Dave Warner; Writing by Barbara Goldberg; Editing by Ellen Wulfhorst and Greg McCune)

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    not on me; but not more than 5 seconds from something that will go 'bang'
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Always armed
    nerdyvirgin likes this.

At all times. I take no chances when it comes to the safety of my family. May sound paranoid but I'm a police officer and probably have more enemies than most. 5 seconds away could be 5 too late.

LIVE FREE OR DIE TRYING
    nerdyvirgin likes this.

Yes I do, ALWAYS. I live in a pretty nice and quiet neighborhood, I like and respect all of my neighbors, I was giving my little ones a bath one evening back in I think in July or Aug last year and I hear this loud knocking
    at my door and then I hear the door being thumped on. I ran down stairs and swept the room and open the door and I see 2 teenagers frozen stiff from fear after I swung open the door. My wife at the time was running in from the back yard she was grilling the some big 2 inch thick rib eye steaks. Long story short they got into a car accident down the street and their friend was hurt badly and needed a phone. I also have a huge mirror by the front door and before the the kids even finished saying they needed help I see my the reflection of my wife pointing her Browning High Power in a .40 behind me. It was good to know my wife wasn't afraid to point and defend herself. The police officers came to the house reamed out the kids who technically tried to B and E. Steaks were burned and we had pizza that night. But yes I always carry.
    nerdyvirgin likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Almost never. Along being a waste and too much of a hassle, I often change my jeans for some basketball shorts while I'm at home. I don't know if anybody tried to have a snub nose in some thin basketball shorts but I can tell you can after walking for a while my thigh started to hurt from were my gun kept slapping against it.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

I carry 24/7 including my home,in the shower my gun is sittinwithin reaching distance,IMHO 5 seconds could mean the difference between life and death,I also have the window blinds drawn 24/7 so nobody can see in my home
    nerdyvirgin likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Always something within and arm's reach.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Moderator
    Nope.

At least not often.

I have no enemies and haven't gotten involved in any art insurance scams (perceived or otherwise) lately. I guess I'm okay.

No but I have a few in strategic places that I can get to in 5 seconds. (I have a small house). Sometimes when I'm out of range I'll throw the LCP in the pocket. You hardly know it's there.
    Jim

i always have mine sitting within arms reach if i get up to glass of water it usually gets carried with me and even if it didn't within 5 seconds there is some kind of gun hunting rifle in the closet downstairs and under the bed upstairs is my 870 express

J frame always in my pocket, even at home.
    pistola likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

100% of home invasions happen at home, so yes!!!!
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Nah, although there has been some crime issues at my home, I am in a pretty good part of town. My firearms are seconds away in the safe, and I have roommates. I carry outside of the home, but not in my castle. I'm not that worried about someone busting in and me needing my gun in 2 seconds. Hopefully, 8 seconds will give me plenty of time to grab the gun and do what needs to be done ;) plus, I usually have knives or other tools handy or in reaching distance. If I was in the city, or nearer to one, I would probably carry, full time, in the home.

Once I am dressed for the day, I'm armed. If not, something is always within reach. Just because you have no perceived enemies doesn't mean some BG will not show up. Coming back from my morning bike ride, there were 4 cop cars in my neighbors driveway....not sure what was going on there, but I live on acreage which is both a blessing for security and a curse since no one can see what's happening at my place.
    Exercise your 2nd amendment rights....not doing so jeopardizes that right for everyone.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Links