Keep your garage door down

This is a discussion on Keep your garage door down within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This story is from Sioux Falls, SD. A woman was brutally murdered, a pure crime of opportunity. The story comes from the Argus Leader: Prison: ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keep your garage door down

Keep your garage door down

This story is from Sioux Falls, SD. A woman was brutally murdered, a pure crime of opportunity. The story comes from the Argus Leader: Prison: Threat unknown | The Argus Leader | argusleader.com

There is also a circuit court document outlining the details of the crime (DISCLAIMER-this is graphic): http://www.argusleader.com/assets/pdf/DF17645775.PDF

Hopefully we can all learn some lessons from this. I am currently living in the Sioux Falls area, and it is honestly one of the safest communities I have ever been in. However, this just goes to show that crime can occur anywhere.

Also, I hope this is the right forum to place this thread in. If not, please feel free to move it. Thanks!

-crl

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    We keep our garage door up during daylight hours. It is one security breach I allow myself because otherwise the place gets hot enough to roast a turkey.

Having in the past twice had bicycles stolen from the garage--both times while I was in the house-- I now keep multiple motion alarms inside the garage, and two security cameras. Nothing fancy, but no one can get in there and hide for an ambush.

It is unlikely someone could get in there without me being aware of it, but of course, stuff happens.

The door between the garage and my home is steel and double locked with a dead bolt fastened with long screws deep into the framing.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

ya this one hits close to home as i work in Sioux Falls every day, this guys plan was to actually go state to state killing people until he got to dc and killed Obama, but he wasnt very smart as the car he stole was equipped with onstar and that is how the police caught up with him

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I now keep multiple motion alarms inside the garage, and two security cameras. Nothing fancy, but no one can get in there and hide for an ambush.
    Sounds like you have that situation pretty well under control!

This dirtbag should have NEVER been caught, just shot on the spot...OMO, of course!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Lesson learned!! Years ago, I had a neighbor who left his garage door up whenever he was home. The only time the door was down and locked was when he was gone. Me on the other hand keep the garage/barn doors shut 24/7. The only time the door is up or open is when we are either driving in or out.
    I finally convinced neighbor after many arguments that he was a big billboard advertising when he was not home. Anyone could have cased his place for a couple of days, and would have known what his schedule was. It finally soaked in after a while, and fortunately, before someone burglarized his place.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    I have a detached garage, so this isn't as big an issue. This type of situation is one of the big reasons that I carry in & around the home. Also, our 2 Labs are a wonderful deterrent/ealry warning system/defensive measure against creeps like this.

This news story will be added to the list of others to be shared with anyone who asks why I carry a firearm.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

I have good neighbours,but I am a good neighbor myself,the other day my dog took off and I had an appointment I had to make,when I came home she was in the back yard,my neighbor across the street saw her out and put her in the yard til I got home,only time my garage door is up is when I'm in it casting bullets to reload
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I think about this often -- I "clear" my garage and home when I leave the garage door up or anytime i get home. My wife says im a dork. I told her maybe..........

Hmm.. Seems we all have different approaches here. I actually leave my garage open when I'm home on purpose. The way I look at it, it shows any potential intruder that we are home because they will see the cars parked there. I know some intruders don't care, but most of them prefer a home that nobody is home. And as Hopyard said, the garage can get super hot during the Summer and I'm often going in and out doing things in the garage and I need the ventilation.

However, I do close the door when we are asleep or have left the house.

I usually leave my garage door open. But I have motion sensor lights outside and inside.

Additionally, I have an infrared sensor by the garage door that triggers a separate beeping alarm (located in living room) every time the sensor detects motion from an animal (or human). So when someone enters my garage I get an immediate audible signal. I find this audible signal alert is one of the handiest things I ever did.

Still, leaving the door down is definitely the safest.........

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Always leave our garage shut unless Im washing a car or working in front.

Quote Originally Posted by ArkhmAsylm View Post
    I have a detached garage, so this isn't as big an issue. This type of situation is one of the big reasons that I carry in & around the home. Also, our 2 Labs are a wonderful deterrent/ealry warning system/defensive measure against creeps like this.

This news story will be added to the list of others to be shared with anyone who asks why I carry a firearm.
    I have an attached that doesn't open into the house. This story only furthers deters the 5 second gun and now I pocket carry the LCP all the time.

Jim

Is there any doubt that scumbags like this need to be shot down by their perspective victims and not sent to prison.

It just helps ease the burden of the decisions those poor parole officers have to make, and potentially screw up. There's no doubt in my mind this guy shouldn't have been roaming the streets.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I run at night and pass the same 4 open garage doors between 8 and 10pm. We live in a good neighborhood but why invite a situation?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links