Turned out to be nothing, but drew entering my house after getting a call. - Page 3

Turned out to be nothing, but drew entering my house after getting a call.

This is a discussion on Turned out to be nothing, but drew entering my house after getting a call. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; When I heard you chamber a shell in your Mossy, I jumped out a side window. LOL! j/k Glad you are okay and there wasn't ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Turned out to be nothing, but drew entering my house after getting a call.

When I heard you chamber a shell in your Mossy, I jumped out a side window. LOL! j/k

Glad you are okay and there wasn't a BG hiding in your casa.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ArkhmAsylm View Post

To any of the LEO's/former LEO's in the room - do you feel that a responding LEO would feel it prudent to somehow let me get my dogs out of the house before they start clearing it? The dogs would not take kindly to a stranger stomping through the house!
    I've never had any dog give me issues when clearing somebody's house. I actually prefer them to stay, because they know when somebody is there that is not supposed to be... but I'm a dog guy. I know pretty much every dog in my beat by name and where they live. I know that is not the norm. So what happens in the situation you asked about is, we'll either have you open the door and secure the dogs in the garage, backyard, laundry room or bring them out with you while the house is being checked.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I don't see why not, if the dogs would come on command.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Senior Moderator
    I almost shot a dog once when clearing a house...but thats another story.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I almost shot a dog once when clearing a house...but thats another story.
    Cats. I flipping hate cats when clearing a house. I lost count how many have nearly been blown to bits and me showing up on my day off to patch and paint.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Cats. I flipping hate cats when clearing a house. I lost count how many have nearly been blown to bits and me showing up on my day off to patch and paint.
    You REALLY need to broaden your scope of cat hate. Their worthy of full time hate, not just occasionally.
    DefConGun and Ianator like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DaRedneck View Post
    When I heard you chamber a shell in your Mossy, I jumped out a side window. LOL! j/k

Glad you are okay and there wasn't a BG hiding in your casa.
    Lol! It's quite the intimidating sound, my Mom says she gets chills when I rack it a few times during my post-cleaning functions check. I'm sure it would cause an unarmed or poorly armed BG to re-think what they just did.
    I didn't do it too loud though. On the off chance that there was someone in there, I didn't want to give away my position. I see the racking noise being more effective for detering a lock-picker or window-looker!
    Kind of Blue - Miles Davis (1959). If you haven't heard it, go listen!

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'm guessing none. He said he went straight to his room to get the shotgun... how many unsecured areas and rooms did you pass and leave at your 6 while doing that? Not to smart.

I don't have a huge problem with clearing your own home in a low risk situation like this, however, at least do it somewhat cautious and methodically. LEO can't and shouldn't be called every time the wind blows, some degree of self sufficiency is a good thing.
    I agree with SIXTO in this regard. A few minutes on the outside observing the house and checking all exterior doors and windows to see if anything is amiss before entering goes a long way. Front door secured and locked, but go around back and find back door standing open, I'm calling the police.

All the doors are locked and no signs of jimmying, check the windows and see if any of the draperies are pushed aside or anything else which would be a tell tale sign from the outside.

If you can spot something wrong on the outside, it's time to call the police. Everything locked up tight, I'd probably go in and do a methodical search.
    DefConGun, Hopyard and KindOfBlue like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    I believe that I'd error on the side of safety if a family member said they saw movement in the house. Wouldn't that fall under the "likely someone is in the house"? I'll say it again, if there is no threat to life why rush in?
    Her body language, general bearing, facial expressions and more all help define the certitude with which she made the comment and the depth of concern that the OP needed to give to the comment.

OP was on the scene and got the full picture. None of us were there.

I have a different concern, though it might not be valid because I don't know the layout of the house. I'm uncertain that going for the shotty (and diverting my attention from other things around me even for a second or two) was the smartest of the options. You can get jumped while trying to get the trigger lock off, and where was the handgun while retrieving the shotty?

At least with my home layout (and I'm sure the OP's is different) if I got from the garage or front door to my bedroom without a fight, I'd already have cleared the house.

P.S. A lesson I have been taught (my sister in-law learned it the very hard way): keep your sharp kitchen knives out of sight.

You don't want an unarmed intruder to be able to quickly grab one from the kitchen counter top. Hide the sharp knives in a bottom draw and cover them with a table cloth. This is especially important for the ladies to keep in mind, and it is also something they tend to not want to do.
    Last edited by Hopyard; July 13th, 2011 at 11:30 PM. Reason: removed the word "not" for clarity
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    I still don't agree with going in and grabbing your shotgun without your pistol drawn first. You state you have no training in room clearing but you did it anyway because its not rocket science? Your technically right, but it is force science. Its always a bad idea to do something out of your level of training. I'm trained in room clearing, but I don't do it without back up. Clearing a room without backup is very very dangerous and something that could get you killed. You should have stayed outside and called police. You have no training in rappelling, would you grab a rope and slide down the side of a mountain without training?
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

I have quite a bit of military training clearing houses and I agree that everything on the outside checks out go ahead and clear it yourself. You can't call the cops for every little thing, you have to take some things in your own hands. Good job OP

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Her body language, general bearing, facial expressions and more all help define the certitude with which she made the comment and the depth of concern that the OP needed to give to the comment.
    Actually, she was over at the neighbors...I didn't get to see her before I went in. She was absolutely beside herself on the phone, but I didn't have time to establish face-to-face contact with her when I got in the driveway. Wanted to make sure everything was okay at the house, I knew she was safe with our neighbors (she plays with their kids, the parents know her well, and I made her stay on the phone while I was still driving until she made it inside their house and established contact with the adults).

I have a different concern, though it might not be valid because I don't know the layout of the house. I'm uncertain that going for the shotty (and diverting my attention from other things around me even for a second or two) was the smartest of the options. You can get jumped while trying to get the trigger lock off, and where was the handgun while retrieving the shotty?
    I placed the shotgun case on my bed, and I was facing the uncleared door with my back to the already cleared (and closed...sliding) door. I've practiced taking the trigger lock off with one hand, so the handgun was held leveled at the door the entire time in my dominant hand while my (now not so useless) un-dominant hand unlocked the shotgun. I never set down or even lowered my weapon :)

Thanks for the feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    I still don't agree with going in and grabbing your shotgun without your pistol drawn first. You state you have no training in room clearing but you did it anyway because its not rocket science? Your technically right, but it is force science. Its always a bad idea to do something out of your level of training. I'm trained in room clearing, but I don't do it without back up. Clearing a room without backup is very very dangerous and something that could get you killed. You should have stayed outside and called police. You have no training in rappelling, would you grab a rope and slide down the side of a mountain without training?
    I had my pistol drawn, bro.

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerB View Post
    I have quite a bit of military training clearing houses and I agree that everything on the outside checks out go ahead and clear it yourself. You can't call the cops for every little thing, you have to take some things in your own hands. Good job OP
    Thanks for the feedback man.
    Kind of Blue - Miles Davis (1959). If you haven't heard it, go listen!

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    ok, you did not state that in your original post. I stand by everything else I said. In my opinion if you were gonna clear the house, its better to do so with the pistol you already have than stopping to bring a shotgun into the equation. Especially since I am betting you have no training in retaining a long gun.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

From the OP

"I saw no signs of forced entry on the exterior, so I grabbed my handgun and entered my house."
    KindOfBlue likes this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by KindOfBlue View Post
    Actually, she was over at the neighbors...I didn't get to see her before I went in. She was absolutely beside herself on the phone, but I didn't have time to establish face-to-face contact with her when I got in the driveway. Wanted to make sure everything was okay at the house, I knew she was safe with our neighbors (she plays with their kids, the parents know her well, and I made her stay on the phone while I was still driving until she made it inside their house and established contact with the adults).
    Thanks for making my point and making sure your little sister was safe. Once again, glad you are around to tell the details.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links