Turned out to be nothing, but drew entering my house after getting a call.

This is a discussion on Turned out to be nothing, but drew entering my house after getting a call. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've done it once. It was not nearly as cool as some folks think. You start to realize how many hiding spots are in the ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Turned out to be nothing, but drew entering my house after getting a call.

I've done it once. It was not nearly as cool as some folks think. You start to realize how many hiding spots are in the house. I was also quite certain that I was the idiot that left the door partially closed as opposed to someone had broken in. It's a calculated risk based on what you are looking at. I tend to not slam someone for doing it, or for not doing it. Each their own. As long as you now it's risky and proceed accordingly. I'm not one to call 911 when I'm not sure it's an emergency though.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    ok, you did not state that in your original post. I stand by everything else I said. In my opinion if you were gonna clear the house, its better to do so with the pistol you already have than stopping to bring a shotgun into the equation. Especially since I am betting you have no training in retaining a long gun.
    Sure did, as pointed out by Guantes below. Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

My retention technique on a long gun: if someone tries to take it from me, pull the trigger. Repeat as necessary.
    Kind of Blue - Miles Davis (1959). If you haven't heard it, go listen!

Your welcome.

I am not opposed to criticism, but if it is based on inaccurate reading of what is written, it should be called.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    P.S. A lesson I have been taught (my sister in-law learned it the very hard way): keep your sharp kitchen knives out of sight.

You don't want an unarmed intruder to be able to quickly grab one from the kitchen counter top. Hide the sharp knives in a bottom draw and cover them with a table cloth. This is especially important for the ladies to keep in mind, and it is also something they tend to not want to do.
    An excellent point which bears repeating. A common M.O. (modus operandi) for burglars is to gain entry into the home while unarmed. Upon entering inside, they will immediately arm themself with a "weapon of opportunity" from inside the home (frequently, a large kitchen knife) to use if they encounter a home owner once inside.

The reason for this is the severity of charges leveled against them if they are caught by police. If they are caught breaking in without a weapon, it's usually a simple breaking and entering charge along with some degree of trespassing. However, if they have a pistol stuck in their waistband which they brought with them, the charges can easily reach the level of armed home invasion, or armed criminal action.

Often times, without the additional weapons charge, their punishment ends up being a couple of months in the county jail, and they never get sent to the state penitentiary for hard time. Add a gun to the mix, or some other deadly weapon they brought with them, and they usually end up going to the state pen for a few years minimum.

So, they break-in, grab a weapon of opportunity, and when they leave, they will go ahead and drop it inside and be on their way. They may not be the smartest people in the world, but they are cunning, and they usually pick up these little tricks from prior short term stints in jail or prison.
    DefConGun and Hopyard like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

A question sticking out in my mind is why didn't the little sister call the police first? What if you were more than 5 minutes away? What if you were stuck in traffic? Flat tire?

Food for thought: Don't pull into your driveway under the preconcieved circumstances. If you pull in front of your neighbor's house: "Oh, the neighbors are back." If you pull in front of your house/into the driveway: "Oh crap, the homeowner is gonna catch me."

I agree with the check of all exterior doors and windows first and then proceed in. I can't imagine a criminal relocking a door or window unless he already has a key (when I was young friends of the family and neighbors were always given a spare in case we locked ourselves out).

Invest in a home security system, if it's an option. My wife and I have had the cops come around twice and they found nothing, because nothing was going on: larger dog got out of his kennel (still don't know how) and set off the motion detector and my wife was showing a trusted friend (the one with the key) how the keypad works. Instead of telling the friend the panic code my wife punched it in, then set the alarm and left. Not her brightest moment. We got a nice notice on our door saying the police were out there, they checked the exterior and nothing was amiss. If we call them out more than 3 or 5 times in an X month period we'll be fined for wasting their time. We've learned from our mistakes and no false calls have happened since December.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    reading is overrated......................................... ....shakes head and sighs in embarrassment
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    An excellent point which bears repeating. A common M.O. (modus operandi) for burglars is to gain entry into the home while unarmed. Upon entering inside, they will immediately arm themself with a "weapon of opportunity" from inside the home (frequently, a large kitchen knife) to use if they encounter a home owner once inside.

The reason for this is the severity of charges leveled against them if they are caught by police. If they are caught breaking in without a weapon, it's usually a simple breaking and entering charge along with some degree of trespassing. However, if they have a pistol stuck in their waistband which they brought with them, the charges can easily reach the level of armed home invasion, or armed criminal action.

Often times, without the additional weapons charge, their punishment ends up being a couple of months in the county jail, and they never get sent to the state penitentiary for hard time. Add a gun to the mix, or some other deadly weapon they brought with them, and they usually end up going to the state pen for a few years minimum.

So, they break-in, grab a weapon of opportunity, and when they leave, they will go ahead and drop it inside and be on their way. They may not be the smartest people in the world, but they are cunning, and they usually pick up these little tricks from prior short term stints in jail or prison.
    Thought about this. Upon entering my kitchen I made sure the complete kitchen knife set was still there. Definitely need to hide those. Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx6 View Post
    A question sticking out in my mind is why didn't the little sister call the police first? What if you were more than 5 minutes away? What if you were stuck in traffic? Flat tire?

Food for thought: Don't pull into your driveway under the preconcieved circumstances. If you pull in front of your neighbor's house: "Oh, the neighbors are back." If you pull in front of your house/into the driveway: "Oh crap, the homeowner is gonna catch me."

I agree with the check of all exterior doors and windows first and then proceed in. I can't imagine a criminal relocking a door or window unless he already has a key (when I was young friends of the family and neighbors were always given a spare in case we locked ourselves out).

Invest in a home security system, if it's an option.
    I guess we've always told her to call us first, unless she actually sees signs of entry. I'm glad she called me first, because it turned out to be nothing. She also probably called me first because she didn't know that everyone was gone- was wondering if I was in the house.

Failed to mention that I also checked and made sure our hidden key was still in its place. I've been telling my family we need a security system for years now...hopefully this non-incident will cause them to pull the trigger on one (excuse the poor pun)
    Thanks for your insight!
    Kind of Blue - Miles Davis (1959). If you haven't heard it, go listen!

I dont understand putting yourself in that situation,its different if you are already in the house and hear that dreaded"bump",But,going in "ALONE",to an unknown situation,with so many variables,I spent a few years with some of the best entry guys in the world,and we would "NEVER" enter any squatty,hooch,apt,room alone,think with your brain next time not your gun,keep yourself and family safe,call the boys in blue!

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Glad it was nothing it can be unnerving and a learning experience (if you live through it). I'm not one to call 911 either especially since I live in the country and it would take a half hour for leo's to arrive and everyone's situation is different. Only you know the layout of your home and can assess the level of risk by going in alone.

I have dogs that I can send in first that will clear my house while I check the exterior windows and doors. Plus a bg would have a nice little jog of open ground before they could get anywhere and my dogs are faster than the bg's are.

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    I don't see anything wrong with going check out the inside AFTER checking the outside for forced entry and finding none, as it was in this case. There is a big difference in knowing someone is or has been in your house then more then likely no one is or has been in your house but you just want to make sure. I don't have a certificate saying I have room clearing training but I have practiced enough with people who do (some informal training) that I feel comfortable with clearing my own house. If I found forced entry, then I would wait outside for police.

About the only thing I may have done different then the OP is finish the job with the gun I walked in with and then after make sure all my other guns were still there.

Yeah, I came home from work in "88" to find my gate open, dogs gone and front door ajar. Unlike your situation there were 2 people burglarizing my house. So, I shot them with my shotty I had behind the seat of my truck.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by KindOfBlue View Post
    Thought about this. Upon entering my kitchen I made sure the complete kitchen knife set was still there. Definitely need to hide those. Thanks for the info.
    Just to reinforce that thought, here is a thread running right now where the bad guy armed himself with a kitchen knife while inside the home and threatened people with it.

GOOD: July 4th home invader with knife shot when he approached CPL-holder on street
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

If it doesnt belong, make waste of it. You did fine..
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Yeah, I came home from work in "88" to find my gate open, dogs gone and front door ajar. Unlike your situation there were 2 people burglarizing my house. So, I shot them with my shotty I had behind the seat of my truck.

:) "like"

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Did your dogs ever find their way home? I hope so. I've had a few dogs go MIA over the years and it really sucks to lose a good pet!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links