Turned out to be nothing, but drew entering my house after getting a call. - Page 5

Turned out to be nothing, but drew entering my house after getting a call.

This is a discussion on Turned out to be nothing, but drew entering my house after getting a call. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This thread has taught me to never post an experience....

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Turned out to be nothing, but drew entering my house after getting a call.

Epi
    This thread has taught me to never post an experience.

Quote Originally Posted by KindOfBlue View Post
    I got a call from my younger sister, who had just returned home to an empty house from summer school. She said that as she pulled in the driveway with her bike, she saw our rear window shade being lowered. I instructed her to go to a neighbor and friend's house and wait for my call.
    I was about 5 minutes away from home, so I drove "in a spirited manner" the remainder of the way. Upon arriving, I saw no signs of forced entry on the exterior, so I grabbed my handgun and entered my house. If I saw signs of entry, I would have dialed 911 and told the operator what was going on.
    Keeping my ears open, I went straight to my room and grabbed my Mossy 500, un-triggerlocked it, and chambered a round. I keep it stored with a full magazine of 00 buckshot, but trigger locked.
    My heart was pounding as I cleared the remainder of the house. Turned out to be nothing, it was just her paranoid mind playing tricks on her. But it sure got my adrenaline going, just being in that mind-set that a BG may be lurking somewhere within our house. It was my first time being in a situation like this, and I'm glad to say although a bit uneasy, I kept my cool under pressure. I even managed to employ proper trigger discipline, my index finger was along the trigger guard with my safety off.
    I'm sure glad it was a false alarm.
    Any similar situations happen to you guys? How'd you react?
    Look, you aren't going to like my post, but I'll say it anyway...

Anyone who willingly goes into a gunfight (other than LE in the performance of their duty) who does not have to go into the gunfight...is CHOSE A BAD WORD HERE moron.

Anyone who does so inside a structure, is an even worse BAD WORD HERE moron.

CQB is fun and all when it's airsoft, sims and role players.

For real? With real bullets, knives, HIV infected skells, multiple attackers and hepatitis?

Not even if 3 of the hottest from playboy's college girl special wet, wild & willing edition were waiting for me at the other end atop a pile of Hundred dollar bills with handcuffs, really good Italian olive oil, fresh baked bread, a bowl of chopped Roma tomatoes & mozzarella with sea salt & a fresh pepper mill by the side, a case of very dry red wine (white would be acceptable provided it does not have too much oak...) holding up to date lab results from a reputable facility with the seals on the envelope intact.

CQB = HELL TO THE NO!

You might have to sometimes.

If your sister had been in the house, locked in the bathroom and called you saying "I think I hear someone in the house!" That's different.

If you arrive somewhere and you hear a woman saying "No...Please..." and it looks like someone broke the back window...yeah, time to do some business...

But when you know the people who matter to you are safe, and the house is clear of friendlies...Its time to call the police.

Or light the building on fire and shoot whoever run out.

(That's safer. Really...)

But when you don't have to?

Don't go in the building.

Train it. Their are instructors who teach it, and they do a good job of it.

But realize what the skill is for - a last resort.

Also, understand their is no safe way to do it, and no good way to do it solo.

I'm glad everything turned out well, but if your family was safe, call the police and grab a coffee.

You don't want to be thinking "I should have called the cops and waited at the neighbor with my sister..." in a pool of your own blood after the guy you didn't see shanked you from behind...

Do some CQB training (not a glorified game of airsoft tag...real training against motivated people when everyone is honest about learning from the experience, not "winning") in a structure and you will see how bad an environment it really is to fight in.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    One of the most dangerous things you can do is clear a house,even with training,Having your sister go to the neighbours was good,but Cops get paid to investigate possible burglaries in progress.If I suspect my home has been breached I'm calling 911 and telling them there is a very good chance they could be heavily armed,I'm staying back,I got homeowners insurance,
    I agree. Especially, since someone supposedly saw movement inside.

However, I can totally relate.
    The last few years of my grandmothers life her neighborhood became very dangerous; but, she still refused to move. So, everytime we took her home after a visit we cleared her house before she was allowed to go inside. There was a REAL possibility of discovering a BG. (It had happened a few times before.) But, it wouldn't have been prudent to call the popo everytime she returned home.

-

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Epi View Post
    Be that as it may, the OP (& quite possibly, other readers) may be able to take some good things away from this shared experience. As with some public forums on the Internets, the commentary here may seem harsh but it's typically just unfiltered truth & experience.

The great thing about DC is that the membership is held to the forum's standards, & this helps to filter out the worst of the flamers.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Quote Originally Posted by Epi View Post
    If you don't want other people to comment on your experiences, then keep them to yourself.

If you want other people who have a different point of view on things to give you feedback that you can take or ignore as you please...

Hey, but you don't want that...

Quote Originally Posted by ArkhmAsylm View Post
    Be that as it may, the OP (& quite possibly, other readers) may be able to take some good things away from this shared experience. As with some public forums on the Internets, the commentary here may seem harsh but it's typically just unfiltered truth & experience.

The great thing about DC is that the membership is held to the forum's standards, & this helps to filter out the worst of the flamers.
    Then luckily you get both sides in this thread.

The LEO's who think that people are calling them too often for stupid stuff when they should be handling it themselves.

And then the people who have had training or whatever and think you're stupid for going into a house that they think the LEO should clear while you huddle in fear at the neighbors.

Luckily the OP was smart enough to check the outside of the house, realize that his sister probably didn't see anyone lowering the blinds, (Lights/reflections can play tricks on us at times), so he went inside, got a bigger gun and found that he was right in not wasting the time of the local LEO's to respond to a call that should never had been made in the first place.

Sure there could have, should have, would have been the stark raving drug crazed person who would slice his throat and do other bad things to his person, but guess what, it wasn't. It was his sister thinking she saw something she didn't.

Uncommon sense is becoming more scarce every day from what I see. OP, you did just fine.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post

The LEO's who think that people are calling them too often for stupid stuff when they should be handling it themselves.

And then the people who have had training or whatever and think you're stupid for going into a house that they think the LEO should clear while you huddle in fear at the neighbors.

Luckily the OP was smart enough to check the outside of the house, realize that his sister probably didn't see anyone lowering the blinds, (Lights/reflections can play tricks on us at times), so he went inside, got a bigger gun and found that he was right in not wasting the time of the local LEO's to respond to a call that should never had been made in the first place.

Sure there could have, should have, would have been the stark raving drug crazed person who would slice his throat and do other bad things to his person, but guess what, it wasn't. It was his sister thinking she saw something she didn't.

Uncommon sense is becoming more scarce every day from what I see. OP, you did just fine.
    Guess I missed the post of the LEO that thought it was stupid to call them to check a house when there was something seen as being wrong. Please show me that post.

I think you're totally wrong "Uncommon Sense" is rampant as proven in this thread by those that think they have the necessary training to clear a residence alone.

Just read through the first page of postings again.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post

Judgement call. We all make 'em. Sometimes we kick ourselves & sometimes we just take a breath & go about our business. The important thing is we are able to do either & keep on learning.

Anyone got anything new to offer?
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Should have called 9-1-1. That's why they are there.

Get rid of the trigger lock, all they do is slow you down and do nothing to prevent theft. Get a quality gun safe.
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I've had to clear my office before and that was only because when I pulled up, I notice the doors unlocked and a unknown car in the parking lot. At the same time, I had training on clearing large areas before. That is nothing that I would try to tackle if I had no training at all.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Many responders are quoting castle doctrine in this thread. Keep in mind that this may not apply. Yes a bg may be in your house, but you were not! If he us in your house and you go in with the intent of clearing him out, this no longer applies to castle doctrine. If he surprised you as you entered and you did not have a clue he was there, then yes it probably would apply. But playing Rambo and going in to flush him out would result in a DA eating you up and spitting you out. This example more closely demonstrates defense of property and not many states allow defense of property using deadly force! The castle doctrine does not allow you to enter your home with the intent of catching the BG. By law, you are not allowed to look for trouble using deadly force. If you shot the BG in this example it could be premeditated murder! This example is a good one for a call to the cops to clear your house.

from my experience many states allow you to defend property with deadly force.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinman
    Many responders are quoting castle doctrine in this thread. Keep in mind that this may not apply. Yes a bg may be in your house, but you were not! If he us in your house and you go in with the intent of clearing him out, this no longer applies to castle doctrine. If he surprised you as you entered and you did not have a clue he was there, then yes it probably would apply.
    I am going to conditionally disagree, if you live in a state that does not require retreat in the face of criminal activity, irrespective of castle doctrine. As I understand it, castle doctrine in many cases provides the assumption of a lethal threat and allow the use of lethal force, whether or not a lethal threat actually exists. Without castle doctrine, you may not have the authority to use lethal force without a known threat to you, but without a duty to retreat, you would still be allowed to meet a lethal threat with lethal force.

But playing Rambo and going in to flush him out would result in a DA eating you up and spitting you out. This example more closely demonstrates defense of property and not many states allow defense of property using deadly force! The castle doctrine does not allow you to enter your home with the intent of catching the BG. By law, you are not allowed to look for trouble using deadly force. If you shot the BG in this example it could be premeditated murder!
    You are legally entitled to stop criminal activity against you or your property. Your use of lethal force would not be in defense of property, but in defense of yourself against the threat when/if presented by the criminal. You are not looking for trouble, you are attempting to stop illegal activity against your property and yourself. I would be interested in viewing any statute you could provide that forbids attempting to stop criminal activity against yourself or your property. Lethal force against a lethal threat posed by one involved in criminal activity would not be murder, premeditated or otherwise.

This example is a good one for a call to the cops to clear your house.
    In many cases, this would be true.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I am going to conditionally disagree, if you live in a state that does not require retreat in the face of criminal activity, irrespective of castle doctrine. As I understand it, castle doctrine in many cases provides the assumption of a lethal threat and allow the use of lethal force, whether or not a lethal threat actually exists. Without castle doctrine, you may not have the authority to use lethal force without a known threat to you, but without a duty to retreat, you would still be allowed to meet a lethal threat with lethal force.

You are legally entitled to stop criminal activity against you or your property. Your use of lethal force would not be in defense of property, but in defense of yourself against the threat when/if presented by the criminal. You are not looking for trouble, you are attempting to stop illegal activity against your property and yourself. I would be interested in viewing any statute you could provide that forbids attempting to stop criminal activity against yourself or your property. Lethal force against a lethal threat posed by one involved in criminal activity would not be murder, premeditated or otherwise.

In many cases, this would be true.
    In this case there was no lethal threat to you. (assuming you knew a BG was in your home-that is the key info-you knew someone was in your hone) You are outside the house and able to call authorities. If you go in looking for the BG, you are creating the threat by putting yourself in that situation. if you did not know there was a BG in the house and went in and was confronted and forced to shoot that would be different. But if you knew a bg was there and went in to get him, assuming no one else was in the house that needed protection, then castle doctrine would not apply unless your state allowed lethal forced to protect property. Think of it this way, if no one was in the house was anyones life in direct danger? No, but your property might. How could you justify(under the law that is) that your life is in danger when a BG is in your house and no one is home? You are creating the danger by entering when knowing a BG is there! All self defense laws state that if you create or are responsible for creating the conflict that led to lethal force being used against you, using lethal force is usually not justifiable. You cannot go looking for a fight unless someones life is in imminent danger! For example, if you see someone breaking into your garage at night (assuming it's not attached to your house) you cannot go running out the door with a gun, confront the intruder, and then decide to shoot in self defense! I advise you to talk to a LEO about the above example. Many feel that castle doctrine is simple in that if there is a BG in your home you have the right to shoot under any condition and this simply is not true. The devil is in the details. Castle doctrine is defensive in nature. If you know someone is already in your house and you are not there, to go in with the purpose if confronting and possibly shooting him is offensive in nature. The only thing that is threatened in this example is the property, not any persons. If the state allows for lethal force to protect property then by all means go ahead and take on the burglar with a gun. But if the state only allows defense of people, then good luck purposely going into the home with the intent of confronting and possibly shooting the BG since no ones safety or life was at stake. This is an instance where the cops and the DA would say you should have called them, as they lock your cell door and throw away the keys for 10 to 20.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links