Turned out to be nothing, but drew entering my house after getting a call.

Turned out to be nothing, but drew entering my house after getting a call.

This is a discussion on Turned out to be nothing, but drew entering my house after getting a call. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I got a call from my younger sister, who had just returned home to an empty house from summer school. She said that as she ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 82
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Turned out to be nothing, but drew entering my house after getting a call.

  1. #1
    Member Array KindOfBlue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    94

    Turned out to be nothing, but drew entering my house after getting a call.

    I got a call from my younger sister, who had just returned home to an empty house from summer school. She said that as she pulled in the driveway with her bike, she saw our rear window shade being lowered. I instructed her to go to a neighbor and friend's house and wait for my call.
    I was about 5 minutes away from home, so I drove "in a spirited manner" the remainder of the way. Upon arriving, I saw no signs of forced entry on the exterior, so I grabbed my handgun and entered my house. If I saw signs of entry, I would have dialed 911 and told the operator what was going on.
    Keeping my ears open, I went straight to my room and grabbed my Mossy 500, un-triggerlocked it, and chambered a round. I keep it stored with a full magazine of 00 buckshot, but trigger locked.
    My heart was pounding as I cleared the remainder of the house. Turned out to be nothing, it was just her paranoid mind playing tricks on her. But it sure got my adrenaline going, just being in that mind-set that a BG may be lurking somewhere within our house. It was my first time being in a situation like this, and I'm glad to say although a bit uneasy, I kept my cool under pressure. I even managed to employ proper trigger discipline, my index finger was along the trigger guard with my safety off.
    I'm sure glad it was a false alarm.
    Any similar situations happen to you guys? How'd you react?
    Kind of Blue - Miles Davis (1959). If you haven't heard it, go listen!


  2. #2
    VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Minnesota, USA
    Posts
    2,556
    This should have been a call to 911 in my opinion.

    If nobody is in my house but a possible intruder, I'm not going in either. How do you know it was a trick her mind was playing? 5 minutes is a lot of time to get out.

  3. #3
    Member Array KindOfBlue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    This should have been a call to 911 in my opinion.

    If nobody is in my house but a possible intruder, I'm not going in either.
    I guess we're all different...I personally didn't even think twice about clearing it myself

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    How do you know it was a trick her mind was playing? 5 minutes is a lot of time to get out.
    Nothing was missing or out of the ordinary...my laptop is in plain sight along with video game consoles and such, so if there was someone there, I doubt he'd leave without them. Or have the common curtosy to re-deadbolt my front door
    Last edited by SIXTO; July 13th, 2011 at 06:21 PM. Reason: use the multi quote feature please
    ErnieNWillis likes this.
    Kind of Blue - Miles Davis (1959). If you haven't heard it, go listen!

  4. #4
    VIP Member Array dukalmighty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    15,179
    One of the most dangerous things you can do is clear a house,even with training,Having your sister go to the neighbours was good,but Cops get paid to investigate possible burglaries in progress.If I suspect my home has been breached I'm calling 911 and telling them there is a very good chance they could be heavily armed,I'm staying back,I got homeowners insurance,
    garyacman likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

  5. #5
    .45
    .45 is offline
    New Member Array .45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    3
    A few weeks ago my wife and I where watching a movie and my son came out and said he heard someone knocking on his window. I figured he was dreaming or letting his imagination get the best of him. I carried him back to bed and tucked him in. 15 minutes later he came back out and said he heard scratching on his window. To ease his mind I said I would go check it out. I spent about 10 minutes looking around with a flashlight (I was armed with my EDC gun).

    I told him nobody was out there and it must of been the wind he heard. We went in his room and as I was putting him to bed I saw something move behind his curtain. It was about the size of a mans head.

    Now Im a little concerned. We live outside of town and although houses are near ours it is somewhat remote. I didn't even think to call 911 (dumb on my part) I went outside and couldn't find anything. As Im going back into the house I hear something behind me I quickly turn and aim at the nieghbors black lab. She must of been jumping up to my sons window causing all the excitemint. I felt dumb but relieved.

  6. #6
    Moderator
    Array buckeye .45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    7,682
    To the OP, how much training do you have clearing structures? I mean real, formal training.

    I have a large amount of training doing it, and some real world experience doing it in combat. Clearing a structure solo is something to do only as a last resort, and is a good way to get killed if there is someone inside, as they get the defender's advantage, and element of surprise usually. I would only do it if my loved ones were at risk, and there was absolutely no other option. Otherwise, I will let the individuals that I pay (with my tax dollars) do it, and I doubt you will see them doing it by themselves either. That is their job, that is what they are trained to do, and they aren't doing it solo.

    I would put that situation in the "call 911" category. Is anything in your house worth your "spirited driving" if it causes a wreck?

    Just my opinion, glad no one took any of your stuff, and that no one was hurt.
    TVJ, garyacman and NoNameMan like this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

    Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

  7. #7
    Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    ct
    Posts
    1,942
    self clearing can get you kiled just once.

    fun side is i came home 1st week i owned the house and my border collie had a s-eating grin on his blood soaked muzzle.
    'so show me' i said to him and he went upstairs to the bathroom and the kid was begging 'no more, please....'

    police id'd him as a neighbors kid, parents came over, we chatted, they agreed to cover broken glass and he would mow once a week for the summer.

    so what was bad about that?
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

  8. #8
    Administrator
    Array SIXTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    19,901
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    To the OP, how much training do you have clearing structures? I mean real, formal training.
    I'm guessing none. He said he went straight to his room to get the shotgun... how many unsecured areas and rooms did you pass and leave at your 6 while doing that? Not to smart.

    I don't have a huge problem with clearing your own home in a low risk situation like this, however, at least do it somewhat cautious and methodically. LEO can't and shouldn't be called every time the wind blows, some degree of self sufficiency is a good thing.
    "Just blame Sixto"

  9. #9
    VIP Member
    Array Hopyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Disappeared
    Posts
    11,663
    As cautious as I tend to be I would not necessarily put that in the 911 category. We all have a certain intuition and sixth sense. It really would depend on what my intuition is telling me.

    I'd make a quick mental determination as to where on the 1-10 scale of realistic concern this one fell. Some cues, as OP indicated, there was no sign of forced entry, on first entering stuff in the house seemed to be in place, probably his sister's demeanor and facial expressions also conveyed some info about her level of certainty about what she saw.

    If we all called the cops every time something not immediately explicable concerned us, they'd be too busy on goose chases to do their real work.

    I'm not disagreeing with the idea that clearing your own house is highly dangerous. Just saying that a judgment needs to be made before making invalid calls to 911.
    Dan_the_man likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

  10. #10
    Member Array KindOfBlue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'm guessing none. He said he went straight to his room to get the shotgun... how many unsecured areas and rooms did you pass and leave at your 6 while doing that? Not to smart.
    I'm not an idiot- my room is right by my back door. I opened the door, cleared the area and entered my room for my shotgun. I didn't pass through any room without clearing it.
    No formal training. It's not rocket science though. I know how to navigate corners, doors, stairwells, choke points.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    As cautious as I tend to be I would not necessarily put that in the 911 category. We all have a certain intuition and sixth sense. It really would depend on what my intuition is telling me.

    I'd make a quick mental determination as to where on the 1-10 scale of realistic concern this one fell. Some cues, as OP indicated, there was no sign of forced entry, on first entering stuff in the house seemed to be in place, probably his sister's demeanor and facial expressions also conveyed some info about her level of certainty about what she saw.

    If we all called the cops every time something not immediately explicable concerned us, they'd be too busy on goose chases to do their real work.

    I'm not disagreeing with the idea that clearing your own house is highly dangerous. Just saying that a judgment needs to be made before making invalid calls to 911.
    Exactly. I made the judgment that 911 wasn't necessary.

    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Is anything in your house worth your "spirited driving" if it causes a wreck?
    Now driving is something I do have formal training in. And yes, there are things in my house worth the wreck, IMO. But I'd never drive recklessly enough to even come close to causing a traffic incident. There just so happened to be little to no traffic so I was able to speed safely. I'm not one to weave in and out of lanes, that's just reckless.
    Last edited by SIXTO; July 13th, 2011 at 06:52 PM. Reason: MULTIQUOTE!
    Kind of Blue - Miles Davis (1959). If you haven't heard it, go listen!

  11. #11
    Administrator
    Array SIXTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    19,901
    Quote Originally Posted by KindOfBlue View Post
    I'm not an idiot- my room is right by my back door. I opened the door, cleared the area and entered my room for my shotgun. I didn't pass through any room without clearing it.
    No formal training. It's not rocket science though. I know how to navigate corners, doors, stairwells, choke points.
    Nobody said or implied you are an idiot. But, you did enter the room leaving an unsecured hallway. Thats bad juju. I'm not trying to Monday morning QB, I hate when people do that to me. But I am trying to offer constructive criticism.
    CCopperpot likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

  12. #12
    Member Array KindOfBlue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Nobody said or implied you are an idiot. But, you did enter the room leaving an unsecured hallway. Thats bad juju. I'm not trying to Monday morning QB, I hate when people do that to me. But I am trying to offer constructive criticism.
    That's what I took "not too smart" as.
    My room has 2 doors to it, one that runs into the hallway and one that's 90 degrees to my rear house door. The hallway door is always locked, so I was able to enter and clear my bedroom immediately, and then proceed to grab the shotgun. Thank you for your responses, I appreciate them.

    PS- thanks to whoever consolidated my posts. I'm on tapatalk right now and multi-quoted responses seem impossible :)
    Kind of Blue - Miles Davis (1959). If you haven't heard it, go listen!

  13. #13
    VIP Member Array Guantes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    5,272
    I lean in the direction of Sixto, in that I don't see clearing without an obvious enhanced threat as a big deal. Especially if one has had training in it and better, experience also. I consider the general threat level of civilian house clearing as considerably lower than house clearing in combat. Sometimes calling 911 is not practical. During a certain period, due to certain political and criminal issues, I cleared the house every time we returned home, before anyone else entered. Calling 911 would get unpopular very quickly.
    shockwave likes this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

  14. #14
    Member Array KindOfBlue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I lean in the direction of Sixto, in that I don't see clearing without an obvious enhanced threat as a big deal. Especially if one has had training in it and better, experience also. I consider the general threat level of civilian house clearing as considerably lower than house clearing in combat. Sometimes calling 911 is not practical. During a certain period, due to certain political and criminal issues, I cleared the house every time we returned home, before anyone else entered. Calling 911 would get unpopular very quickly.
    Sorry to hear you lived under those circumstances, buddy.
    I checked for signs of entry before proceeding...I live in a very safe city so I made the call to proceed after seeing no warning signs/suspiciousness. No offense to LEO's here, but I'd prefer not deal with cops unless absolutely necessary.
    Kind of Blue - Miles Davis (1959). If you haven't heard it, go listen!

  15. #15
    VIP Member Array Guantes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    5,272
    Thanks. The circumstances were the result of being a cop.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

clearing houses pistol or ar?
,

getting turned out

,
put your chef knives out of sight of burglars
,
what movie is the line thats bad juju from
Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» DefensiveCarry Sponsors