Please help me with a plan for my home layout.

This is a discussion on Please help me with a plan for my home layout. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I recently installed a security system in our home and I have been going over in my mind what we should all do in the ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JD

Thread: Please help me with a plan for my home layout.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar

I recently installed a security system in our home and I have been going over in my mind what we should all do in the event the alarm goes off.

Here's the layout:

Main level:
    Kitchen, dining area, living room, laundry room, bathroom, master bedroom, kids room

Walkout basement:
    Family room, bathroom, kids room, kids room, utility room

My wife and I sleep upstairs across the hall from our youngest child (3).
    Our two daughters sleep downstairs (4 and 8).

I want to run some drills over the weekend so the kids all know what to do, but at this point I'm not exactly sure what's best so I am coming to you for some ideas.

Right now I think= my plan of action would be:

Alarm system goes off

I grab my gun and I go to the hallway while my wife goes to our youngest's bedroom across the hall to call 911 (cops should already be notified by the alarm company).

The girls would run up the stairs and I would most likely meet them part way and ensure they make it to the bedroom safely. If everyone makes it to our son's bedroom, my duty at that point is to just keep everyone safe in that room. There is a window we could exit out of if we had to, vs the master bedroom which is too high to do so safely. This also eliminates two trips across the hallway and my son would already be safe in his room.

If for whatever reason the girls sleep through the alarm or something is stopping them, I continue down the stairs to evaluate the situation and do whatever is necessary to get them out of harms way.

I wish all the bedrooms were on the same level, but I have to deal with the layout as it is because we are not moving any time soon.

Does this sound like the best way to handle our layout?

The only problem I see with this is what if the intruder comes in through my son's window, everyone will be heading there, or that direction. I realize no plan is perfect, but it's good to run various scenarios so you at least have an idea what to do.

JD
    Administrator
    Are there bay windows other egress points? If a room (or multiple rooms) is to be a safe room do they have dead bolts other reinforcements and a land line/non cordless phone? Also keep a charged cell in a "go bag" by the bed. Flashlight, phone, spare mag by the bed.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Not yet, but I could add a deadbolt. We no longer have a land line phone. His room has the hand crank style that open outward and his room is bumped out from the house about 2 feet.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Not yet, but I could add a deadbolt. We no longer have a land line phone. His room has the hand crank style that open outward and his room is bumped out from the house about 2 feet.
    Got a rope ladder? In absence of the land line, the charged cellular is a must, make sure you have good cell coverage in that room. Get the deadbolt and maybe of of these options: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Do This To Your Doors!!!.

To be honest, I don't like the sound of you charging down the stairs with a gun, and meeting your daughters at an unspecified point.

Your adrenaline would be going, you will be jacked up, and on edge. It would be awful if you were startled by movement from one of them and had an ND. Plus, if they are moving, they will be making noise, and it may be hard to tell if there is other movement in the house. Since that is the floor plan you have, I would suggest modifying the plan

First, is your wife armed too? And if not, do you really want to leave her and your son unarmed? How feasible is it for your wife to grab your son, and move behind you to one of your daughter's rooms, and barricade there?

If you don't like that, why don't you train your daughters to go to the safest spot in their rooms, and wait there until you come and get them? That way there is no unneccesssary movement in the house, you know where they are, so you know where your clear fields of fire are if you need to shoot.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    a look outside to notice places that you can nnot see from the inside
    shrubs against the house for hiding
    1st fl windows that can be crawled into from outside
    --pin the lower and open from top down
    exterior lites on motion sensors\--that you control
    --that you can aim

keep all ladders and climabables away from the house.
    --chain & pad lock the ladder at the least.

as for inside--if you can not get a instructor trained in the field, try walking the house when no one is home and let your mind wander with what-ifs.

radio shack has remote appliance/ light modules that you can plug lamps into. select what parts of the house, and in what order you want lite up and work together with the wife.

more than tha one needs to be there.
    solid core doors for the kids rooms and a bathroom...

rope ladder from the 2nd floor good for a fire but it may be that you climb down into their waiting hands.....so many possibilities.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    My kids are grown and gone, but I always had one plan and one plan only--and I will/would not devulge it on a forum.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Sponsored Links