Home clearing practice

This is a discussion on Home clearing practice within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by joker1 Oh hell, common sense rears it ugly head again. I can see practicing home clearing from inside your home (from bedroom) ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Home clearing practice

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    Oh hell, common sense rears it ugly head again.

I can see practicing home clearing from inside your home (from bedroom) simulating a middle-of-the-night break in or something, but like others have said if you and the family are already safely outside the house let the LEO's do what they are trained to do, they can use the practice too.
    This is why it's important skill to have, you may already be in the house (or really any building for that matter) and you need to make your way out of safely, and it can take some work to get to a door or window to safely exit, charge through you can walk right into a bad situation, knowing how to maneuver through a building is a valuable skill. I'll have to look into what IPSC is doing locally, having to face unknown random situations is better practice for being in an unfamiliar setting (friends house, office building, place of business, etc.) and having to move my way out. Sure I may be able to clear my house well enough to get out, but what happens when trouble strikes elsewhere and I don't know every hiding spot.

But I don't have a badge bullet proof vest or backup, so if I show up and trouble is already at home, I'll be making a phone call to have someone check the house.

Glock Certified Armorer

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array 4my son's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ncsteveh View Post
    Ok, here's my take on home clearing;
    Me and the family return home and something is isn't right car goes into reverse and we call the pro's. Can I do it myself? absolutely, do I want to risk getting shot in my own home or dealing with the legal liabilities that will arrive if someone is inside? No way in hell. I have no problem saying thanks after they clear the house.
    I agree 100%, never enter a home or any building when reasonable to presume inside may harbor hidden dangers. I want and have taken classes to learn these skills in the event that I don't have a choice. Theres a noise in the home in the middle of the night and I need to check on my child, who by the way is at the opposite end of the home. Popular layout of newer homes I guess, it's what I have, I'm not waiting for the Sheriffs Deputies who could be as much as 20+ mins away, that's just the driving time with sirens and lights.

And as others have stated, it's good to have to exit a home or building when the safety of the inside is compromised and your not sure about the exterior.

Going through a shoot house in the dark of night is pretty fun and enlightening also.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Imagine this:

You are clearing your house & a nosy neighbor sees you through an open window, assumes you are a BG and calls the police... How bad would that suck...
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

If a perp comes in and I am in bed, I would shoot them as they came down the hallway. Then call 911, and lay there worrying about how the blood was goin to ruin the hardwood floor I broke my back and wallet putting in.

Then I guess I would have to get up and open the door for responders.

If I was outside, now that I have lived thru this, I would call the police, and wait them out. Never go into an unknown willingly. Eventually, they have to come out. Gives you time and tactical advantage, plus proof via the 911 call that you attempted to let police handle it.
    joker1 likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    If a perp comes in and I am in bed, I would shoot them as they came down the hallway. Then call 911, and lay there worrying about how the blood was goin to ruin the hardwood floor I broke my back and wallet putting in.

Then I guess I would have to get up and open the door for responders.

If I was outside, now that I have lived thru this, I would call the police, and wait them out. Never go into an unknown willingly. Eventually, they have to come out. Gives you time and tactical advantage, plus proof via the 911 call that you attempted to let police handle it.
    Yep this right here...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I have 6 kids of various ages spread out on the main floor and in basement bedrooms. Terrible layout. If something goes bump in the night I have to check it out. I pray I'll be able to sense if it's just one of the kids, one of three dogs, or something bad. It'll be hearing something or sensing something that tell's me not only that something isn't right but approximately where the "not right thing" is located.

I do think training on rounding corners, etc would be fun and no doubt educational and I think the air soft game with my boys would be fun too but God help us if it happens for real. I'm hoping the BG will be one of the loud ones that literally breaks in making a lot of noise.

I do keep shoes and my pants with my EDC bedside along with a great light. I have gone through my house in the dark when I was home alone. I know I could easily ambush someone who was searching for me in my house; I'm reasonably sure they could do the same to me!

If I ever buy another house, I'll at least think about the floor plan a little and I have taught my kids to stay put and if someone bad does come into their room, to scream and fight like there is no tomorrow because there might not be if they don't.

I do pull on those pants, edc, and light whenever I get out of bed at night, even if it's just to go to the bathroom or to get a cookie!

Hope it never happens......

Gideon

I have actually practiced clearing my home a few times and I've done it "for real" a few times. Now, let me clear things up. If I came home and I saw something conclusive like a door busted in or something that suggested a high probability that somebody has been in my house and may still be there, I'm backing out and calling the police like many here have said. However, there have been a few times where I walked into an empty house and saw something out of place. Something that I'm sure was not like that when I left. There was no clear evidence that anyone had broken in. So i didn't want to call the police on a whim. Just to make sure it wasn't a family member or something (despite being no cars in the garage) I yelled "If anyone is here, you'd better speak up now because I'm armed." After no response I went room to room and cleared the house. In most cases it has turned out to be that my wife came home during lunch and moved something, or my cat knocked something over, etc. So to summarize, it is just something I do when I don't feel the risk is high enough to call the police, but I'd just feel better knowing 100% the house was clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    If I ever buy another house, I'll at least think about the floor plan a little and I have taught my kids to stay put and if someone bad does come into their room, to scream and fight like there is no tomorrow because there might not be if they don't.
    n
    I've told the same to my 8-year old girl. In fact, I even told her some of the stories of kidnapped girls who didn't scream because the BG told them that he would kill them or kill their parents if they scream. I told my girl not to worry about me and scream as loud and often as possible, while kicking, biting, scratching, etc. I made sure that she understands she will not be in trouble for hurting somebody in self defense. I also have made it clear to her not to believe anything a kidnapper says. Often they will tell little kids that if they just get in the car with them, they won't hurt them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links