Blackbear defense - Page 2

Blackbear defense

This is a discussion on Blackbear defense within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My problem with the long guns is diminishing utility. And I think I'm bumping up into it with the .44 Magnum. The odds of actually ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Blackbear defense

My problem with the long guns is diminishing utility. And I think I'm bumping up into it with the .44 Magnum.

The odds of actually needing the gun are wicked low. Noise-makers and bearspray will make any dangerous encounter 1 in a million. The .44 Magnum pistols are quite a bit heavier than the Glock 20. At least unless you carry one of the specialty low-weight ones. But recoil on those is going to make you wish you had more than 6 shots, anyway! You can probably fire about twice as fast with a Glock 20 than a light .44, no?

If there're other things to carry, I think I'd prefer a pistol to a rifle.

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    Of course you can get one of these in a 44 mag. Of course you can give your arm to the bear after firing it as yours won't be worth much at that point.

44.jpg
    Philly Boy likes this.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

This is exactly why I stay in my basement. It's safe!
    " The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer." Henry Kissenger

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CanuckQue View Post
    My problem with the long guns is diminishing utility. And I think I'm bumping up into it with the .44 Magnum.

The odds of actually needing the gun are wicked low. Noise-makers and bearspray will make any dangerous encounter 1 in a million. The .44 Magnum pistols are quite a bit heavier than the Glock 20. At least unless you carry one of the specialty low-weight ones. But recoil on those is going to make you wish you had more than 6 shots, anyway! You can probably fire about twice as fast with a Glock 20 than a light .44, no?

If there're other things to carry, I think I'd prefer a pistol to a rifle.
    That depends on how much you like your hide......I carry a Freedom Arms 454 Casull when out in the woods here, stoked with 300 gr. "punch" rounds. A friend of mine up here is a bear hunting guide, he carries a short barreled 375 H&H like it an extension of his arm. Most people that I talk with are under the impression that you will be lucky to get off 1 round during a charge, so I'm gonna carry something that will handle the situation in one shot providing that I do my part. We have both Black and Grizzlies up here, and when fishing you are fishing with the grizzlies. They have been actively hunting black bears because they kill cattle, so that should show the difference in temperament. OMO YMMV..
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Black bears aren't particularly tough (cousins killed them with .22 mags) but a momma BB may not know that.

Denmark Arctic teams carry the 10mm Glock for polar bears, so that says something. My personal preference in AK was a .41 Ruger Blackhawk. The .44 was more than I cared to handle and didn't seem to be much more powerful in my experience. I could get off follow-up shots much faster with the .41. Six shots is plenty; if you have time for more you probably have time to avoid it all together.

A short barrel 12 ga with buck or ball trumps any nominal handgun.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I believe grizzlies are the toughest of the tough when it comes to bears. They are built to fight facing their opponents. Black bears aren't in the same league as them. Grizzlies basically have reinforced skulls and shoulders for the combat between themselves. Much like a bison does.

I'm glad all I really have to worry about is black bears and wolves. Grizzlies are a big step up in threat from what I face in Wisconsin.

Let's face it, I know people who only use a .243 to hunt black bears. No one in their right mind would go that small for a grizzly unless they are a masochist.
    Philly Boy and Eagleks like this.

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CanuckQue View Post

The odds of actually needing the gun are wicked low. Noise-makers and bearspray will make any dangerous encounter 1 in a million.
    When wandering through the woods, do you know how to recognize bear scat? It's the stuff that has little noisemakers in it and smells like pepper spray ....I think I'll stick to a pistol.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links